LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Female

Question start stop not working

i have just bought a used cooper s cabrio and the start stop isnt kicking in i have been to the dealer who have said its the cold weather??? my last mini had no problems even in -12c.. they said come back in a month think i am being fobbed off im only a girl grr. help please.. i have done all the usual checks and no joy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 09:18 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Mine stopped working in December and has been back since then for only one day this week (after lots of driving). I wonder if it's telling me the battery is on the way out and it only has a good charge after lots of driving.

But if your previous stop/start kept operating down to -12c, it was faulty - it shouldn't operate below +3c.

The full list of reasons from the manual why the stop/start will stop operating is:
- outside temp below +3
- "inside of vehicle in heat-up or cool-down phase" (what?)
- high outside temp and A/C on
- engine not yet up to temp
- battery knackered
- after reversing
- driver's seat belt undone

Thanks for this post from:
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2011, 07:08 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

My stop /start hasn't worked since before Christmas but has just started working again. I spoke to my dealership and they said it could be the cold weather / lack of use etc. They advised me to take it for a decent run with no lights heater etc (ie charge the battery). Now that it is working I am assuming that they were right. It hadn't occurred to me that the battery might be on its way out!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2011, 07:52 AM
MINI2 Newbie

cold weather would sometimes cause of not starting... and i do believe engine must at least have a decent run or make it start to make it warm even you are not using it. That would really help.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female

yippee

well, my car was booked into dealer on thurs 5pm, and on my way home from work 4pm the outside temperature reached the magic 12 degrees and the start stop started working.... grrr...i rang the dealer and ate some humble pie i hope it is just a temperature thing.. so does this mean there is no start stop all winter??.. i wonder
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England Female

Mine doesnt do it either! only got my cooper in december and the dealer said the stop/start won't work in cold temperatures, so i've been waiting for it to get a bit warmer. It's been as high as +13 recently but it still never seems to do anything :-S I'm wondering if it's because 90% of my journies are in rush hour traffic where I'm rarely doing more than 10mph. But i do have my heater on all the time too...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Male

I have a Cooper D just over 3 years old with 50k. My stop start is working but it only seems to stop for around 15 secs before cutting back in again, i asked the dealer to have a look at it at my last service, but he said it was fine. I'm convinced it used to cut at out for a least a whole traffic light sequence. Any ideas?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom

Sorry if this is repeating another post: my dealer advised me to charge the battery and that has got my stop/start working again after the winter.

I wonder in your case if the car is finding after being stopped for 15 secs that the battery condition has got worse and it's then starting the engine as that's what its rules says to do.

It may be that charging the battery would stop this behaviour at least for a while in which case, like me, you would know that your battery is OK but not great.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2015, 05:46 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom View rvt50's Classified Ads

What do we mean by 'decent run'? I drove mine back from the dealer, around 70miles, and it still wouldn't activate at all. Still won't today. Will it require a few days of driving, or more miles? Or does this simply mean (a) my battery is dying / (b) something is faulty.

P.s. LOVE my new (2011) car! My first mini. FINALLY.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2015, 06:11 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Master

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Has it got stop start? mines a 2012 JCW, it doesnt have the system to work to stop start with.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2015, 06:35 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nun View Post
Has it got stop start? mines a 2012 JCW, it doesnt have the system to work to stop start with.
It does, which is why I asked . The dealer showed me it, it's noted in the spec, the off button is there etc. He said it might take a while / can be intermittent but I would have thought it would work after 70 something miles...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2015, 08:36 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom

My three-year old SD hasn't been doing it recently, just like my previous Cooper didn't do it as it got older.

Of course, some days have been too cold (it won't work below, I think, 4 deg) but not the rest of the time, so I conclude that my battery is getting a bit tired. Not tired enough to have any other effect and not worth sorting out just to get the stop-start to work - no point spending 50 to make a 5 saving.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2015, 10:04 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angib View Post
My three-year old SD hasn't been doing it recently, just like my previous Cooper didn't do it as it got older.

Of course, some days have been too cold (it won't work below, I think, 4 deg) but not the rest of the time, so I conclude that my battery is getting a bit tired. Not tired enough to have any other effect and not worth sorting out just to get the stop-start to work - no point spending 50 to make a 5 saving.
Good point. For all the stuff they pack in there you'd think there would be a simple battery read out of some sort, to tell us what it is like more accurately.

I'll mention it at its next service (although that's next year), if it doesn't ever work. It's a minor thing, I know, but could be very welcome when driving in cities!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2015, 09:46 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvt50 View Post
you'd think there would be a simple battery read out of some sort, to tell us what it is like more accurately
To be honest, that's what I find the stop/start does -when it works, the battery is having a good day and vice versa.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2015, 02:12 PM
MINI2 Regular

Did a longer journey over the weekend. I'm not sure at what point it actually decided it was okay to do it, but after around 5 hours of motorway, and 2 through towns/lights, it has decided to now work!

Tried it on the way back this morning as well, and it seems it's decided it's ready to work for me now, which was a nice surprise. I guess it may depend upon the age of the car and how long it's been sat waiting to be sold, and the time of year, but in this case "giving it a good drive" did eventually work out pretty well.

FWIW I've probably done around 600 miles since picking it up, and it's just decided it's fine to stop/start now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in