post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Exclamation White exhaust smoke and steam from bay - R56 1.4

Hey,

I have left my car for a while, since being at uni, in my families care. It has been driven occasionally but not very well looked after! I drove it recently and noticed a few things. The engine warning light was on, white steam (or smoke) was coming from the engine bay and white smoke from the exhaust too... wasn't a happy drive. When I got home I left the car on the drive, idling, and a few minutes later checked for leaks and couldn't find any.

I have done some research and seems to me like a problem with the head gasket allowing coolant into the cylinders and sending the white smoke out the exhaust. Would this also explain the white steam (or smoke) in the engine bay? Are these both from burning coolant? I have had to top up coolant quite a lot since I noticed the smoke. My car also drinks oil but has done for a while, could this be a related issue?

Any tests I can do before taking it to a garage?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2018, 10:59 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston2016 View Post
Hey,

I have left my car for a while, since being at uni, in my families care. It has been driven occasionally but not very well looked after! I drove it recently and noticed a few things. The engine warning light was on, white steam (or smoke) was coming from the engine bay and white smoke from the exhaust too... wasn't a happy drive. When I got home I left the car on the drive, idling, and a few minutes later checked for leaks and couldn't find any.

I have done some research and seems to me like a problem with the head gasket allowing coolant into the cylinders and sending the white smoke out the exhaust. Would this also explain the white steam (or smoke) in the engine bay? Are these both from burning coolant? I have had to top up coolant quite a lot since I noticed the smoke. My car also drinks oil but has done for a while, could this be a related issue?

Any tests I can do before taking it to a garage?

Thanks for the help.
common thing when leaving a car for months no used is build up of condensation in the the exhaust and inlet pipes, before condemning the engine i would take if for a good drive 3000 revs of more after it gets to running temperature ie heater comes hot, after 20 minutes or so of this it should clear its self and eml light should reset next time you restart it if its down to this ,,,
if this dont change anything you can buy a test sniff tester form ebay cheap link is below.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-3-BLOC...UAAOSwLEtYi8Gi

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2018, 07:27 AM
MINI2 Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I drove an R56 1.4 for about a month of short journeys and noticed it did need a good run once a week to help burn the moisture out
Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : [email protected]

WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport – FERODO PADS – BUY ONLINE

- We ship worldwide to your door -

- Currently Breaking for parts – Hawkeye Subaru Impreza - Honda S2000 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in