Mini Cooper R56 - 2009 - coolant leak, can't find it. - MINI Cooper Forum

Second Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes Late 2006 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mini Cooper R56 - 2009 - coolant leak, can't find it.

Hi there,

I have a '59 plate R56 cooper. I've been loosing some coolant occasionally and now it's getting worse, so about 1/2 litre every couple of days now. I've been topping it up to make sure it doesn't overheat, but I can't seem to find where it's leaking from.

I've put my hand over the bottom of the thermostat sensor housing and can't feel anything damp there.

But, if I look underneath the car, there is a square bit of metal at the bottom and this is wet, with the colour of the coolant. Any ideas on where to go to look ?

I've added a couple of pictures of the bit I can find that is wet.

Thanks,
Roy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180801_113114.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	225667   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180801_113124.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	225669  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2018, 10:52 AM
MINI2 Senior

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Possibly lower passenger side hose to the radiator, has been noted before ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2018, 11:58 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Donaldson View Post
Hi there,

I have a '59 plate R56 cooper. I've been loosing some coolant occasionally and now it's getting worse, so about 1/2 litre every couple of days now. I've been topping it up to make sure it doesn't overheat, but I can't seem to find where it's leaking from.

I've put my hand over the bottom of the thermostat sensor housing and can't feel anything damp there.

But, if I look underneath the car, there is a square bit of metal at the bottom and this is wet, with the colour of the coolant. Any ideas on where to go to look ?

I've added a couple of pictures of the bit I can find that is wet.

Thanks,
Roy.
common thermostat temp sensor to leak with age, or maybe the pipes to heater matrix ir back to bulk head, also there is a rubber O-ring that sits between the thermostat housing to cylinder head,, also very common is the pipe that runs from water pump behind the engine to the thermostat housing this is plastic and has a rubber o-ring very common the leag with age s rubber goes hard and cracks, right pain in arse to sort will need to thermostat housing removing, common fix new o-ring and high temp sealer added,, to see if its the bypass pipe at rear of engine need to get under car look up at it should see the wet coming from it,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't feel any liquid on any of the coolant rubber pipes that I can see. But, right at the back of the engine bay, there was a connection where 2 metal pipes seemed to meet. This was above 2 rubber pipes from the thermostat housing. This was wet, but it just seemed like water and not coloured like coolant ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180801_151922.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	225675  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2018, 05:21 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Spain Male

Metal pipes are probably AC and yes, they will feel wet if AC has been running. As said above the thermostat housing (thing that looks like an octopus) tends to leak, it usually leaves puddles on the top of the gearbox housing between the ribs. Other problem part for leaks is the water pump itself, situated in a very awkward place to the left of the crank shaft hub. It is possible to change it out without removing engine mountings, etc but tight fit. Keep searching, you'll find the leak eventually but you may need to put it on axle stands or a ramp to get right under there.

Cooper 2009, R57.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in