LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:05 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Question Engine & Power problems 2007 Mini One 1.4

Not sure where else to ask really, so I'm hoping I can pick your brains a bit or you lot could direct me to somewhere I might be able to find the right info!

I'm brand new to cars, in fact I don't even have my full license yet (Hopefully that'll happen Friday...), so bear with me. I've got a 2007 Mini One 1.4 that's been sitting a few months and over Christmas. I've really not done it any good and it was feeling a bit sorry for itself. Took it for a drive, got it all cleaned up and put some life back into it but it's still got one problem; revs keep dipping, it produces almost no power and likes to "Jump" when in lower gear.

(Now I would link a vid to the engine struggling after being revved while idle, but it wont let me link a vid from YouTube...)

It moves, but when accelerating in 2nd it feels like you're in 5th, and it stuggles to get anywhere above 60 mp/h. It has a distinct whine too, when accelerating. Checked the air filter, checked the brakes to make sure none have stuck and it's all fine. Apart from this one issue the car is in good condition, which leads me to believe something has seized while its been sitting. While I'm new to cars, i'm relatively handy so I want to see if it's something I can fix and/or locate myself, but I know nothing about cars.

Someone suggested it may the EGR valve being stuck open (Or closed), I'd like to check that but I've got no clue where it is. If anyones got any ideas please let me know! Or, can direct me to somewhere where I can get any info I need that'll also be great! Also, is the engine of the Mini one (2007) the same as any other minis? Looking for info/guides on it all seem to direct me to other Mini types/versions.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2019, 10:00 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Spain Male

Someone will be along soon to help but the first thing they will ask is for error codes. You need to get someone to read the errors and post on the thread. That's a good starting point before you go guessing and buying parts you may not need. Good luck, you'll get good advice here.

Cooper 2009, R57.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudder View Post
Someone will be along soon to help but the first thing they will ask is for error codes. You need to get someone to read the errors and post on the thread. That's a good starting point before you go guessing and buying parts you may not need. Good luck, you'll get good advice here.
Yeah that's probably the best idea. I need to find a reader or se where I can get one from but it's definitely the first thing to do! Thank you!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2019, 12:15 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

first off you wont find a egr valve has not got one, the design of the prince engines is they use the over lap on the two camshaft and vanos sprockets to induce intake and exhaust but do use a pcv system for inlet and crankcase breathing ie feed it back in to the inlet to cut emissions,,
the 1.4 engine are more prone to timing chain wear last one i done was on 50k, best diagnostics machine for money is autocom cdp link below with out it you have no chance of working it out,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-TCS-...fiTR:rk:8:pf:0

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
first off you wont find a egr valve has not got one, the design of the prince engines is they use the over lap on the two camshaft and vanos sprockets to induce intake and exhaust but do use a pcv system for inlet and crankcase breathing ie feed it back in to the inlet to cut emissions,,
the 1.4 engine are more prone to timing chain wear last one i done was on 50k, best diagnostics machine for money is autocom cdp link below with out it you have no chance of working it out,
Gotcha. From a bit of reading some were saying it's more commonly found on Diesels so my ideas are getting thin. Someone's already suggested Carly For BMW on the app store, along with their reader. Quite a fair amount more expensive though. Would probably be more friendly to use, for me at least, but what you suggest sounds good so I will definitely look into it. Cheers!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2019, 01:27 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiGianni View Post
Gotcha. From a bit of reading some were saying it's more commonly found on Diesels so my ideas are getting thin. Someone's already suggested Carly For BMW on the app store, along with their reader. Quite a fair amount more expensive though. Would probably be more friendly to use, for me at least, but what you suggest sounds good so I will definitely look into it. Cheers!
nope your totally wrong about carly being easier to use than autocom, on top of that carly dont do live data or deep enough P-code scans needed to even start to find your problem,, i'm sure their are others on here that will back that up, the autocom stuff is pretty much dealer level and fairly easy to use not any harder than carley but does a lot more and covers any car on the road pretty much.
below are pic's from live data run off 1.4 mini one 2008 on autocom just to prove something to you ie the level of scan needed and given by it, these are on a car that just had timing chain changed and new 02 sensors and head gasket ie running perfectly,, same engine as yours to compare the numbers with,, you dont get that with carly just a basic code reader,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.4 on idle lean weak 02 sensors.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	227665   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.4 on idle 02 sensors.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	227667   Click image for larger version

Name:	1,4 on idle vanos positions.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	227669  

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Quote:
nope your totally wrong about carly being easier to use than autocom, on top of that carly dont do live data or deep enough P-code scans needed to even start to find your problem,, i'm sure their are others on here that will back that up, the autocom stuff is pretty much dealer level and fairly easy to use not any harder than carley but does a lot more and covers any car on the road pretty much.
below are pic's from live data run off 1.4 mini one 2008 on autocom just to prove something to you ie the level of scan needed and given by it, these are on a car that just had timing chain changed and new 02 sensors and head gasket ie running perfectly,, same engine as yours to compare the numbers with,, you dont get that with carly just a basic code reader,
Well I guess that's me showing my lack of knowledge! Seems like the better option then. Will it be obvious when something is wrong? I.E. will it tell me or provide an error code/discription or will it be a case of looking for parameters that are off compared to how it should be? Seeing as it's much, much cheeper it'll probably be the better option if no readers appear via family members already. If push comes to shove then I'll take it down the garage (If it's not something I can fix myself), but if I can find out what the problem is first then that's definitely a bonus, I can go from there.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2019, 01:44 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Well I guess that's me showing my lack of knowledge! Seems like the better option then. Will it be obvious when something is wrong? I.E. will it tell me or provide an error code/discription or will it be a case of looking for parameters that are off compared to how it should be? Seeing as it's much, much cheeper it'll probably be the better option if no readers appear via family members already. If push comes to shove then I'll take it down the garage (If it's not something I can fix myself), but if I can find out what the problem is first then that's definitely a bonus, I can go from there.
more likely you will plug in scan it and there will be fault codes which will give us a clue to where to start, by us i mean you read them put codes up on here and i'll help you understand them, honestly those scanners are a must have tool and for the money its a gift.. you can encode injectors and dpf filter changes and regens etc really is very good, every time you use it you save 40-120 depending on which garage was to scan it. i dont gain anything by pointing anyone towards are tools only do it to save someone money etc,, the codes will give a description ie p420 code and the meaning say, then off that can work out where to start

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Quote:
more likely you will plug in scan it and there will be fault codes which will give us a clue to where to start, by us i mean you read them put codes up on here and i'll help you understand them, honestly those scanners are a must have tool and for the money its a gift.. you can encode injectors and dpf filter changes and regens etc really is very good, every time you use it you save 40-120 depending on which garage was to scan it. i dont gain anything by pointing anyone towards are tools only do it to save someone money etc,, the codes will give a description ie p420 code and the meaning say, then off that can work out where to start
Fair enough, and the money is definitely ideal! Well I'll have to get one ordered and get the codes checked, so I guess i'll be back in a few days or so. I really appreciate the help, hopefully I'll find something. Cheers!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2019, 02:05 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Fair enough, and the money is definitely ideal! Well I'll have to get one ordered and get the codes checked, so I guess i'll be back in a few days or so. I really appreciate the help, hopefully I'll find something. Cheers!
if you get stuck installing it on a laptop just send my message i will help you with it.
i use windows 10, i have network framework 3.5 installed on it .
below link
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...-35-windows-10
all the details are on the software disc that comes with it including a video of how to,

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Completely forgot to respond here, but I should drop an update for reference if anyone has a similar issue;

It was taken to a garage, and after giving it a drive, inspecting the engine and testing the garage stated it was very likely the cam belt was loose and the springs had worn. This was the only issue they found, so I went ahead with the repair which was a hefty 700+.... However, once I got the car back it's been running fine, there's a ton more power in the engine now and feels like it should. So, if you're ever having same/similar problems to the ones above, it might be worth looking into that! Unfortunately it's not cheap, but hey, for the price I got the car in and it's overall condition it still has a profittable value. I'm sure for others it may be worth looking for something else if 700-800 isn't worth the cost.

Thanks all for the comments/responses! I appreciate the help massively
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 10:18 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Completely forgot to respond here, but I should drop an update for reference if anyone has a similar issue;

It was taken to a garage, and after giving it a drive, inspecting the engine and testing the garage stated it was very likely the cam belt was loose and the springs had worn. This was the only issue they found, so I went ahead with the repair which was a hefty 700+.... However, once I got the car back it's been running fine, there's a ton more power in the engine now and feels like it should. So, if you're ever having same/similar problems to the ones above, it might be worth looking into that! Unfortunately it's not cheap, but hey, for the price I got the car in and it's overall condition it still has a profittable value. I'm sure for others it may be worth looking for something else if 700-800 isn't worth the cost.

Thanks all for the comments/responses! I appreciate the help massively
its not timing belts its a timing chain, the spring is in the single tensioner so very common as i said above a few comment before timing chain more likely, sounds like your lucky as not damaged the 02 sensor and cat from running out of time like so many do. the chains last anywhere between 40-100k depending on how car treated and how low some people let engine oil level get and also how soon do oil changes,, ie best 9k 20k or 24 months as bmw state is to long and hurts the chains a lot,, ie carbon build up in the oil works as a grinding paste as such in the oil. bmw have revised the service options to include timing chain at 100k i believe i know psa have that use same engines and have same issues as such, anyway happy days its sorted. lucky you have a garage that is up to speed on the timing chains

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Quote:
its not timing belts its a timing chain, the spring is in the single tensioner so very common as i said above a few comment before timing chain more likely, sounds like your lucky as not damaged the 02 sensor and cat from running out of time like so many do. the chains last anywhere between 40-100k depending on how car treated and how low some people let engine oil level get and also how soon do oil changes,, ie best 9k 20k or 24 months as bmw state is to long and hurts the chains a lot,, ie carbon build up in the oil works as a grinding paste as such in the oil. bmw have revised the service options to include timing chain at 100k i believe i know psa have that use same engines and have same issues as such, anyway happy days its sorted. lucky you have a garage that is up to speed on the timing chains
Yeah my mistake! I meant chain, as for this Mini it is indeed metal. Yeah, it was a combination of luck and the car not being used, it was driven once and the issue was noticed there and then so it likely didn't get a chance to do much damage (If any). I don't do many miles per month or year, but will make sure to keep ontop of oil levels and making sure everything is good! Cheers mate!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 02:58 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Yeah my mistake! I meant chain, as for this Mini it is indeed metal. Yeah, it was a combination of luck and the car not being used, it was driven once and the issue was noticed there and then so it likely didn't get a chance to do much damage (If any). I don't do many miles per month or year, but will make sure to keep ontop of oil levels and making sure everything is good! Cheers mate!
nice to get the updates on how things turn out so many dont bother or so many it ends up with snapped chains and very big bills is very common then they have a bad taste with mini, its a shame for them because if they had just known what goes wrong and needs replacing under must do service times they would of enjoyed the cars more than left with a never again feeling..

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Quote:
nice to get the updates on how things turn out so many dont bother or so many it ends up with snapped chains and very big bills is very common then they have a bad taste with mini, its a shame for them because if they had just known what goes wrong and needs replacing under must do service times they would of enjoyed the cars more than left with a never again feeling..
Precisely, I do look forward to learning more about the car, hopefully can save me some time in the future too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in