LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Y-cable / Snap-In? Getting v confused

I have just bought a second-hand 2011 Cooper S Convertible with Media Pack.

It didn't come with a cable to connect my iPhone 4S, so I used the standard Apple one. All the artwork etc worked OK, but there was no sound. I now realise that I need to buy a Y-Cable or a Snap-In for the armrest.

Looking at various posts on various forums, I am getting totally confused.

It seems that the more expensive and tidier option is the Snap-In but it appears that you miss out on a fair bit of functionality. Is this right? Do you really not get full control over your iPhone's music?

On the other hand, the cheaper and messier (I hate too many cables) option is the Y-Cable, which supports all the functions (full music library access, all the features of the Connected app, etc.).

Could someone "boil down" the key points to the key pros and cons? What's the best route to go? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2012, 06:53 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 02:39 PM

Russia Male

Y-cable is the best (and much cheaper route). You get more functionality, hassle free install and actually the BMW cable is fairly short so it isn't that messy - you can sit the iphone upside down in the cup holders or coin area.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2012, 08:09 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 02:39 PM

In my experience the arm rest snap in adaptor does everything with my iPhone 4S. I have satellite navigation, full Bluetooth, mini connected etc. album art works, full control of iPod functions, better mobile signal using the roof antenna etc. it takes seconds to snap my phone in and everything works first time. The snap is is the third type I believe and cost me about 160. Not cheap but it does have a cooling fan to keep your iPhone from getting hit whilst being used and charging. An overheating iPhone can shorten battery life and possibly damage the internals over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 03:39 PM

United Kingdom Male View Tigercub's Midnight Black & Chili Red 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile

Yeah I have the media snap in adaptor for the iPhone 4s and it works fine with full access to mini connected music with full cover art on the mini display.fully function stealing wheel control for navigation through the menu and volume control. My mini is a 2011 model Jcw with media pack and nav.

Snap in adapter for me much more tidy.

If you have the centre arm rest it takes two min to fit and your mini dealer can check for you when you buy the snap in adaptor to make sure it's all going to work for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in