LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Smile 1st attempt at wrapping

I've never been happy with the interior multiple shades of black, I thought for a long time about getting the dash soft/knee roll parts in a different shade (+ possibly vinyl dying them), and painting the hard ("colour line?") dash parts, but in the end I went for wrap on just two of the hard plastic bits.

10 GBP bought enough bird's eye maple vinyl in both gloss & satin to do the job twice over in either finish (I wasn't sure of my ability, or which finish I'd prefer) but two hours of fiddling with a hot a gun & fitting gave the result I the photos; a bit more class, in my eyes anyway
I didn't manage a great result on the small end of the drivers side panel, which was the bit I did last, annoyingly. It doesn't have to swing out like the passenger side one, so it's hard to see.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tlr_22may19_wrap_003.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	228389   Click image for larger version

Name:	tlr_22may19_wrap_002.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	228391   Click image for larger version

Name:	tlr_22may19_wrap_001.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	228393  
SteveM3, Oakleyguy, k8gale and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:17 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Looks like you have done a great job. Congratulations.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:28 AM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Yep, great job. Vinyl wrapping isn't easy.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 02:07 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

South Africa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third_Time_Lucky View Post
I've never been happy with the interior multiple shades of black, I thought for a long time about getting the dash soft/knee roll parts in a different shade (+ possibly vinyl dying them), and painting the hard ("colour line?") dash parts, but in the end I went for wrap on just two of the hard plastic bits.

10 GBP bought enough bird's eye maple vinyl in both gloss & satin to do the job twice over in either finish (I wasn't sure of my ability, or which finish I'd prefer) but two hours of fiddling with a hot a gun & fitting gave the result I the photos; a bit more class, in my eyes anyway
I didn't manage a great result on the small end of the drivers side panel, which was the bit I did last, annoyingly. It doesn't have to swing out like the passenger side one, so it's hard to see.

This looks awesome. Did you by any chance do a "before" picture, and is this the satin or gloss one you eventually stuck with? Did you also remove the panels or did you stick the vinyl in situ?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Thanks for the +ve fb chaps

@ ntjamme - not a "before" pic as such, but I do have one showing the dash from just after I got the car...

I used the satin vinyl, the gloss version looks to be the exactly the same print but with an extra layer of gloss on it. My reason for not using it was that the finish was a bit too orange peely for my liking.

I got a spare set of the hard dash trim parts from eBay (25 GBP, posted) so I could revert to stock very quickly & wrapped those parts on the bench. I suppose it's theoretically possible to wrap the "secret" compartment cover in situ (though much harder), but the side around the tacho, never, IMO.

Technique was to cut a bit of vinyl a couple of inches bigger than needed all around, stick down the "flat" part first, then starting with the easiest edges first, use a hot air gun on a small (2") area at a time, heat for 5 to 7 seconds then stretch as required to fit. Having gone all around the edge, reheat all around to shrink the vinyl back before cutting off the excess with a scalpel etc.

That makes it sound quick, but I suspect it's one of those skills like MiG welding - easy to do, difficult to master.

For future reference:

Removing the dash trim parts:

(this is for an RHD car, but I have no reason to believe it's any different on an LHD car)

Steering wheel side: lower the wheel as far as possible & use your thumbs to release the trim (it's on three pins) & rotate it to pull it from the gap. Reassembly: reverse of above.

Passenger side: open "secret" compartment & undo the two Torx screws (T15 or 20?) from the underside of the flap. On the underside of what was the bottom of the flap (& is now furthest from the dash) there are three moulded in clip type affairs that need winkling undone with a 3mm (1/8") tip flat bladed screw driver. The panel should pretty much fall off at this point. Reasemmbly: locate the forward edge first, then squeeze the "clips" home & refit the screws.

"Fixed" type passenger side trim: no idea, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tlr_24may19_wrap_004.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	228411  
ntjamme likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in