Convertible wonít close flashing green light!! - MINI Cooper Forum

Second Generation MINI Convertible MINI Convertible (MINI Cabrio) 2009 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2018, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Convertible wonít close flashing green light!!

This is my situation and I am going step by step because other ppl have issues and maybe this will help you, or you can add your advice what I can look into or double check next..

I have been doing research on this issue on other forums since Iíve owned my 2010 Mini Cooper base convertible, believe it to be the r57 type. I purchased used in summer of 2017

Iíve been having issues with the top working -on and off- since Ive purchase at 55,000 miles and in prestige condition for an 8 y-o cali owned car. I now have 62,000 miles and I love this car, but my gosh itís been a royal pain trying to be smooth with friends and family and trying to enjoy the amenities of a convertible. Itís literally the only problem Iíve been having with it!

So let me start with my current issue (which has been a past issue and anything Iíve tried this time usually would fix it)
..Over the past two weeks Iíve been trying to open the convertible and it wouldnít go past the sunroof, and itís a little too cold anyway so it was not a huge issue. No warning lights or blinking lights appeared at that time so I brushed it off and figured to address the issue later since the sun roof part and windows still worked.
For some reason I decided last night after work to see if it would open and it did! (I always make sure I hold the opening switch down until my windows go all the way up because it reassures everything locked in place).

After a quick 5 min drive to get gas. Finished filling the tank, I got back in the car and shut the door. I turned on the engine and held on to the switch and the windows went down half way... nothing, so I hit switch again, windows go all the way down and nothing. I let go of the switch and got a notification (car lock icon pops up on dash along with a warning sound). I tried finessing with the windows.. all way up, all the way down, half way, up and down and up- hoping something picks up and resets a sensor but nothing!
Now when I drive over 20mph a stupid chime noise comes on continuesly until I slow down to a red light. Thankfully work is nearby and so is mini dealership.. so I called them after work today, explained my situation that something similar has happened before and if they could check it out and they said come right in!
20 mins later, Iím at the MINIdealership here in Orlando and they immediately assisted me, went to the car..troubleshooted and toggled with all the obvious ways to fix.. nothing. He takes it to the back and I wait inside for 10 minutes or so. He comes back out and says ďit could be the motor that locks the top into placeĒ. So what heís telling me is the motor went out at the final step in locking the top in, barely a centimeter before it locks.. so it interlocked the whole system. (The area behind the rear windows is where Iím referring to.) youíll notice when it actually is locked in you will see the latches hooked in place, and mine wasnít so you could literally lift the sides up in the air which the guy at MINI tried.
I asked how much it would cost- 1,100usd!!! *faints*
I should be expected to have that kind of serious cash stashed away for investing in a minicooper, but after the holidays and a move across the country, I just donít.
So I asked if they could just manually shut it for me in case it rains over the weekend and they refused (they-as in now Iím surrounded by 3 guys in their service department saying they donít want to be responsible for breaking anything trying to manually shut it). This terrifies me now. I kind of live In a shotty part of town in Orlando and honestly donít feel safe with my car outside with the top down and nothing to cover in case it rains, but thatís my prob.
I guess I just want to know what else to try.. some people say try Disconneting the battery for a few min and see if that helps.. I just donít wanna touch anything and make it worse!

And I almost donít want to believe them because I had the same issue after purchasing from a non-mini dealership and as soon as I drove it off the lot and got home the top wouldnít open past sunroof and the notification said it was inter-locked.. the guys at the non mini dealership didnít know how to properly function the switch to open and close the top and knocked the sensors off. So I immediately took it to the Vegas MINI-dealership and all they had to do was reset it and show me how to properly use it. minipoopers are so fragile. And I know the car industry. They only want money.

Thanks for hearing me out...Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 08:43 PM

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I realize this is a long shot, but I know how frustrating convertible top issues can be. My 2011 convertible may have a similar issue to yours. When I hold the toggle to open the top, the sunroof opens and stops when fully retracted (as expected). When I let go of the toggle and hold it again to open the top, the 2 locks disengage from the top of the driver and passenger windows, but the top doesn't go down and nothing else happens. Repeated attempts to work the toggle fail to jump start the system.

BUT... if I wait about 10-20 seconds after releasing the toggle the first time after the locks disengage from the top, I can then hold the toggle and the top will open. For some reason, the short wait always seems to work for me. I also have the same exact problem when trying to close the top. When I press the toggle to close, I hear the locks disengage from the rear, but the top doesn't move. Again, after waiting 10-20 seconds, I can press the toggle and it will close.

Maybe give this a try and see if it magically works for you. I have no idea where to even start to look for answers on how to fix this. Orlando Mini told me they would start by replacing the pump motor ($1k+), with no guarantees that would fix it. I just can't imagine the motor is the problem since it works fine after a few seconds of waiting.

Good luck! I'm probably going to start another thread over the coming days and get some video of the problems to post.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2018, 05:49 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Australia Male

Garage
Page 32 of the owner's manual has the instructions on how to close the roof manually in case of malfunction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in