Roof opens but warning light says its not fully open - MINI Cooper Forum

Second Generation MINI Convertible MINI Convertible (MINI Cabrio) 2009 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:27 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

England Roof opens but warning light says its not fully open

Hi All I've recently bought a 2010 cooper convertible and have found that although the roof seems to open fully its coming up with a warning (showing the roof down and a padlock) its saying the roof isn't open fully and gives a warning noise if I go over 20mph. I know about the sensor in the boot to enable it to open but is there another to say its fully open?
thanks Matt

Last edited by Mathewg2004; Apr 14th, 2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: didnt give original post a tag or title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2018, 06:30 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathewg2004 View Post
Hi All I've recently bought a 2010 cooper convertible and have found that although the roof seems to open fully its coming up with a warning (showing the roof down and a padlock) its saying the roof isn't open fully and gives a warning noise if I go over 20mph. I know about the sensor in the boot to enable it to open but is there another to say its fully open?
thanks Matt
need to have it scanned it will show which sensor/switch is faulty, the system has sensors and switches that tell the roof ecu/body control module where the roof is as such, its common for these to fail break or sometimes some adjustment might be all it is,, without diagnostics that will work with it its like finding a nail in hay stack.. i'm not aware of any bypass for the warning on it as its so important for safety that the roof is locked either way in the eyes of the makers.. i done a Renault convertible once and that was truly a total pain turned out all the linkages that held roof to car were worn out form the roof always being used up and down.. 2mm of wear at a fixing point might be 20mm or travel at end of a arm and thats what a sensor will pick up...
all you could try is stripping out all covers and wd40 all fixing points and any switched on some they are part of the hydraulic rams and tend to be non replaceable without changing a ram.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Thanks seems I'm off to a dealership. Has anyone ever used westerly mini in Bridgwater Somerset?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2018, 01:32 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

United States Male

Garage
Roof/Hood issue

On my R57 when the top seems like it is done moving, there is a pause and it settles down a bit more..If i stop at the pause, the light stays on solid
When i bring it half way up and watch it in my mirror, when i see that last bit of movement it is great and the light goes off

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
Tom Van Stelle
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvanstelle For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2018, 12:34 PM
D&B
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have had the same problem for over a year, just haven't had the roof down until today. I think the answer is to look for simple problems before getting too involved with fault codes and trying to decipher them etc.

Just solved my problem. There was a foreign body stuck in the locating recess that a pin is supposed to drop into either side adjacent to the rear windows. I had 3 fault codes A69A A69C & A6A3 which I could not find an explanation for. Spent ages trying to track down what these codes meant, when I should have looked for obvious visible problems! Strangely enough I cleared the fault codes before finding the obstruction and they didn't come back again?

Hope this may help someone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D&B For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in