post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Scotland Male

Garage
Scotland No boost when cold

Hi, I am having issues with no boost, we had codes initially for the Blow Off Valve and so fitted a new one, but still having problems, we scanned the car on Delphi and had fault codes for the Bypass Blow Off Valve, and again when we went to look at its function on the diagnostics it would show it not active when accelerating, but we have found that when the car gets fully up to temp to the point where the fan cuts in for first time, that then suddenly the car performs properly with full boost, and when scanned shows no fault codes and when we look at the function on diagnostics we can see the Blow Off Valve activating on acceleration, and the car runs fine unless you let it cool down again. So we are not sure if this is a fault with the Blow Off Valve or not, any advice would be much appreciated? The car is standard without any mods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 03:00 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffmax View Post
Hi, I am having issues with no boost, we had codes initially for the Blow Off Valve and so fitted a new one, but still having problems, we scanned the car on Delphi and had fault codes for the Bypass Blow Off Valve, and again when we went to look at its function on the diagnostics it would show it not active when accelerating, but we have found that when the car gets fully up to temp to the point where the fan cuts in for first time, that then suddenly the car performs properly with full boost, and when scanned shows no fault codes and when we look at the function on diagnostics we can see the Blow Off Valve activating on acceleration, and the car runs fine unless you let it cool down again. So we are not sure if this is a fault with the Blow Off Valve or not, any advice would be much appreciated? The car is standard without any mods.
its very common for the linkage between the actuator for waste gate and the penny valve in the exhaust side of turbo to wear out, worth checking the vac control circuit to actuator from vac pump on side of head, ie psi feed and whether the solenoid valve that controls it is working right, have known these to under heat work or not work as wingdings expand etc . just follow the vac pipe from turbo back to the solenoid, all this valve does is be a valve on and off to work the waste gate lever thats where i would start

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1967 For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 03:54 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View WOE2's Classified Ads

Garage
Mine was also not boosting when cold. I replaced the blowoff valve but it made no difference.
Finally I bit the bullet and whipped off the turbo and found my wastegate stuck open. The pivot was worn causing the flap to jam open.

The good news is you can buy the exhaust housing for £150 and itís a pretty easy swap.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F519781-F7B5-4D6F-8142-8E1789F20316.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	226705   Click image for larger version

Name:	AFF4B786-4341-4150-BF34-FE04DD7F15E7.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	226707  
mike1967 likes this.

Last edited by WOE2; Nov 22nd, 2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Pic added
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WOE2 For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Scotland Male

Garage
Thanks for replies so far this gives me a couple of things to check myself, as i really want to avoid sending to a garage for an expensive fishing operation, any more advice is gratefully received, and i'll update with my findings. Thanks again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2018, 08:19 AM
MINI2 Regular

Garage
Check vac hoses and tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C168EC4E-2585-4BD7-ACFE-4F802C717DFC.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	226721  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2018, 04:04 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My Mini Cooper has over 50,000 miles.What should consider replacing the water pump and thermostat?

So that, it can save hours of labor if I replace them before finding a leak.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Scotland Male

Garage
Hi, sorry so long in updating, as I've not had a chance to work through some of this advice until now. So far I have replaced myself: Diverter Valve, Throttle Body, Engine Valve Cover, Turbo Boost Solenoid Valve, Tank Vent Valve Breather Solenoid, Vacuum Tank, i've also checked wastegate action on turbo and it operates properly using a vacuum gauge, and i'm still having the same issue of no boost when cold with fault codes for Diverter Valve, then when it's fully up to temperature the car boosts and goes correctly and shows no fault codes. I refitted my old Diverter Valve too thinking maybe I'd got a faulty new one, but made no difference and in fairness both Diverter Valves look in good shape with no tears or splits. I'm pulling my hair out, anyone got any further thoughts as to what could be causing the problem, again any help much appreciated?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 09:01 PM
MINI2 Regular

Garage
My wastegate appeared to work fine when I tested with a vac pump.
I have had no problems after replacing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in