Second Generation MINI Cooper S MINI Cooper S Late 2006 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

R56 Mini Cooper S - what horse power can the car take

I have purchased my first mini and while I was pleasantly surprised at its power I am on the hunt for more. Firstly, I’ve installed a forge blow off valve, then the AEM cold air intake system, then I shall be replacing the FMIC, then I will add a decat downpipe if this is loud enough I will leave it at that if not I will be getting a full cat back exhaust system. Then finally a remap to finish it off, however I wonder whether the stock internals will take the added power gain. Just wondering if anyone has done similar modifications and had to ,for example, get the engine forged or upgraded clutch? Cheers for any help in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 04:51 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

they use same engine in Peugeot rcz 269bhp they claim, my question would be how long would it take a lot more bhp, some people forge them but still the timing chain holds the weakness but might be ok treating it to new ones every 40k or so if driven hard. higher the revs more the wear, also more heat. oil cooler a very good thing on the prince engine

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 05:33 PM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

It depends on the health of your engine, some cars gets more others gets less. With the mods you have you're looking at stage 1 or 2 remap.

Stage 1 ~220 bhp

Stage 2 ~240 bhp

Stage 3 & 4 lots of work and money ~300+ bhp

Check the dyno graphs

Go Manic!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 05:46 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt View Post
It depends on the health of your engine, some cars gets more others gets less. With the mods you have you're looking at stage 1 or 2 remap.

Stage 1 ~220 bhp

Stage 2 ~240 bhp

Stage 3 & 4 lots of work and money ~300+ bhp

Check the dyno graphs

Go Manic!
you can get 220bhp on stock car with free flow air filter panel, hybrid turbo will step boost up a lot the biggest problem is heat the prince engine runs at top end of what is possible heat wise, ie thermostat 109 degrees,, really standard cars should of had a nice big oil cooler with fan temp controller on it, as the oil also acts as coolant a well as lubricant as well as some other things and when gets pushed out side its limits ie oil is tested at 100 degrees but engines that have twice the power of standard will produce so much more kinetic energy link below worth understanding before adding more heat to any engine, as tuning will do.
https://www.enotes.com/homework-help...gy-heat-529772

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Very interesting read thank you for the information, seems I need to add oil cooler to my list then... I know I need to try keep temp as low as possible. I think it will be a stage 2 straight away with all these parts and a remap. I will also keep an eye on timing chain, I want to try and avoid damaging anything as much as possible.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 11:06 PM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Before increasing power, just make sure your engine is healthy and running correctly.
If a health check isn't included, might be worth getting one done independently.
Stage 1 or 2 doesn't require a forged engine, just all the parts you've listed above and 1 step colder spark plugs.
Depending on the current condition of your clucth and your driving habits, you might need an upgrade.
Water/meth injection to keep things cool and reduce carbon buildup, will also be a good investment if you're thinking of stage 3+.
Visit North American Motoring or Minitorque.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 04:51 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
...oil cooler a very good thing on the prince engine
Any recommendations? I may not have to worry about corrosion, rain and salted roads but heat is a REAL issue in Australia.

I'm curious how Mini is getting 300+ out of the new JCW Countryman...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 07:03 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satansfist View Post
Any recommendations? I may not have to worry about corrosion, rain and salted roads but heat is a REAL issue in Australia.

I'm curious how Mini is getting 300+ out of the new JCW Countryman...
i always paint black,, they is a saying in motorsport black for go shiny for show black deals with heater better
below link conversion kit complete good value to be honest plug and play
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-Row-Oi...oAAOSwvytcEhxy

Last edited by mike1967; May 19th, 2019 at 08:12 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 10:15 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaact7 View Post
Very interesting read thank you for the information, seems I need to add oil cooler to my list then... I know I need to try keep temp as low as possible. I think it will be a stage 2 straight away with all these parts and a remap. I will also keep an eye on timing chain, I want to try and avoid damaging anything as much as possible.
i spent a few years working for tuning company boring job after about 6 months but good knowledge to have, managing heat is so important and most people dont realise that the coolant only really deals with around 70% of the cooling the other is within the engine oil as its lubricates and cools and cleans and on cars with cats and dpf filters it also has a another job ie collects particulates from piston ring blow past and crankcase pcv systems,, hence why oil level and how often its changes can make a big difference to how long the engine lasts and how much power or should say how extra fuel that causes heat can be added before it melts,, add to when engine oils are tested for viscosity its done at 100c via a set tool that allows x amount of oil to pass through it, hence a 5/30 has two limits at 100c its viscosity is 30, at up to -40 its 5, some oils lawn mowers generators SAE30 means its 30 at cold and 30 at hot,
with this info its clear to see keeping oil at a good level is so important less oil the hotter the bearings get and thinner oil gets as past 100c it thins a lot also dirty oil with carbon gets hotter plus the added wear form a solid in it, personally i feel the cooler they put on the prince engine is just a cheapest way to cool slightly a as long as engine survives past their warranty its all good, i put a link in another message on here for a kit for r56 petrols covers all under 100 comes with a pre made plate to do away with factory rubbish cooler box

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in