LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

O/S Main Beam Not Working

Hi Folks,

my niece's '08 mini has an issue with it's o/s headlight. The light won't work on main beam, it works fine on dipped beam. I've confirmed the bulb is ok by swapping with the n/s. I've ran a wire from the yellow/blue wire on the n/s light to the yellow/blue wire on the o/s light proving the o/s light and it's internal wiring is ok.

I've checked the fuse in the drivers footwell and it's ok, my next step is to check 12v is going into the fuse when the main beam is switched on and then check continuity from the fuse upto the light connector.

Has anyone come across this issue before? is there an individual relay for the o/s headlight or main beam and if so where are they? I'd expect there to be a relay and not just a straight wire from the fuse to the light activated directly by the stalk.

When she got the car it had spot lights mounted on the grill which were badly fitted and caused the bulb blown warnings to appear everytime you turned the car on, they were wired into the yellow/blue wires at the headlights to work on main beam i'm guessing the one wired to the os light has damaged something on the circuit. They have now been removed and the cut wires resoldered leaving me one main beam not working.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2019, 07:47 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

first off need a multimeter set to volts lights on probe the multi plug on head light for a live feed, if no feed then its on that circuit, also must set meter to ohms resistance and check the earth ie neg side of that plug check if have a open circuit of do then earth could be the issue, i say this as sometimes a earth fault can appear to be a feed fault as when you complete the circuit with a iffy earth return it will collapse the line,, to rule this out run a jumper cable from the cars battery straight to the earth side of multi plug this is a must do part of process otherwise you will end believing the earth is ok but reality is its only good with no load on it, more likely the wiring has cracked somewhere what o do is buy a couple of rolls of black insulting tape and strip the wiring back and check as i go, there is relays in the body control module and 2 fuses one for left lights and one for ringth lights, what you can also do is to find all the relays around the engine bay switch lights on and pull each realy and check if the one good light switches off when or if it does then the relay next to it will be the one for dead light,, cant remember what the system in on that car off top of my head i see so many i just deal with faults as they come along, i have feeling the relays for lights are all body control mounted ones as the gen one has sensible lights relays in them, if my memory serves me right or it might be the later ones again sorry to be so vague with that end of it, but follow the above and you will find the fault

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in