Parking lights as DRLs - MINI Cooper Forum

Second Generation MINI Exterior
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Second Generation MINI Exterior 2006 - Present

 2Likes
  • 1 Post By brassd
  • 1 Post By youngcooper
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
youngcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

 
Parking lights as DRLs

I recently purchased the Carly iPhone app and BMW OBD11 wifi adapter. I bought it mainly for diagnostics and fault reading/clearing.

The app also allows coding of various of the cars ECUs. So far I have coded the engine stop/start to remember the last setting (i.e. for me OFF) (did this on our BMW too) and have coded the front parking lights to operate as DRLs (i.e. on in the light 0 position) my car being DRL-less.

The app is well worth it and you can also easily reset service indicators and code new batteries if necessary.

My question is...now I have DRL of sorts I would like to replace the standard parking light bulbs for LEDs. Can anyone recommend a bulb they have successfully used (brighter the better) that is CANBUS friendly? Having said that I can now code out voltage monitoring of any of the bulbs to stop a warning light coming on...but I don't want to.

Thanks in advance

youngcooper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2017, 03:11 PM
MINI2 Senior
 
brassd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Staffs
Local Time: 05:37 PM
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

United Kingdom View brassd's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
 
Go for an established brand. I bought cheap ones off eBay and they lasted 3 months. I thought I was unlucky, so bought another set, they lasted 4 months. I ordered some from newministuff (not sure of the branding as they fitted them for me while I was there) and they have lasted 2.5 years and counting. Here is the link for a second gen car.

Bulbs - Sidelight LED 2nd gen

or try autobulbs direct etc

Matrick likes this.
brassd is offline  
Thanks for this post from:
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
youngcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngcooper View Post
I recently purchased the Carly iPhone app and BMW OBD11 wifi adapter. I bought it mainly for diagnostics and fault reading/clearing.

The app also allows coding of various of the cars ECUs. So far I have coded the engine stop/start to remember the last setting (i.e. for me OFF) (did this on our BMW too) and have coded the front parking lights to operate as DRLs (i.e. on in the light 0 position) my car being DRL-less.

The app is well worth it and you can also easily reset service indicators and code new batteries if necessary.

My question is...now I have DRL of sorts I would like to replace the standard parking light bulbs for LEDs. Can anyone recommend a bulb they have successfully used (brighter the better) that is CANBUS friendly? Having said that I can now code out voltage monitoring of any of the bulbs to stop a warning light coming on...but I don't want to.

Thanks in advance
Apols but I have just realised that I have not posted on this forum before. So by way of brief intro, I am on my 2nd mini, the first being an R50 italian job cooper. We now have an R55 clubman in nightfire red. It is a 2008 model but had only done 19k with its previous owner when we acquired it this summer. I love the retro rear doors and the 'suicide door'.
Matrick likes this.

R55 Clubman
youngcooper is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2017, 11:20 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

 
Hi you say you bought the app, which version did you go for?
Purch1977 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2017, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
youngcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purch1977 View Post
Hi you say you bought the app, which version did you go for?
The pro version and added service reset and idrive coding (for our BMW) with in-app purchase. The lite version is free in the app store (enables you to check what you can do) but does not allow actual coding or fault clearing.

R55 Clubman
youngcooper is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2017, 09:12 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngcooper View Post
The pro version and added service reset and idrive coding (for our BMW) with in-app purchase. The lite version is free in the app store (enables you to check what you can do) but does not allow actual coding or fault clearing.
Hi,

Sorry I'm late to the party but I wondered what OBD connector you are using with Carly.

Regards,

Paul
paulrichardson is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
youngcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrichardson View Post
Hi,

Sorry I'm late to the party but I wondered what OBD connector you are using with Carly.

Regards,

Paul
I bought the official Carly adapter - wi-fi version for iPhone, etc (androids use bluetooth) - not cheap but with 'lifetime warranty'.

The app directs you to amazon for purchase but when I bought mine it was out of stock so I ordered direct from Germany. Took a week or so but it was cheaper too. There was a code somewhere which gave £5 off too.

Some do use the cheaper generic adapters but these limit functionality of the app so I have read.

Have fun.

R55 Clubman
youngcooper is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2017, 04:40 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngcooper View Post
I bought the official Carly adapter - wi-fi version for iPhone, etc (androids use bluetooth) - not cheap but with 'lifetime warranty'.

The app directs you to amazon for purchase but when I bought mine it was out of stock so I ordered direct from Germany. Took a week or so but it was cheaper too. There was a code somewhere which gave £5 off too.

Some do use the cheaper generic adapters but these limit functionality of the app so I have read.

Have fun.
I already had a cheapo adapter and it didn't work at all with Carly (but it worked with other Android Apps).

I'll have to stump up the cash and get the official one.

Regards,

Paul
paulrichardson is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2017, 11:13 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngcooper View Post
I recently purchased the Carly iPhone app and BMW OBD11 wifi adapter. I bought it mainly for diagnostics and fault reading/clearing.

The app also allows coding of various of the cars ECUs. So far I have coded the engine stop/start to remember the last setting (i.e. for me OFF) (did this on our BMW too) and have coded the front parking lights to operate as DRLs (i.e. on in the light 0 position) my car being DRL-less.

The app is well worth it and you can also easily reset service indicators and code new batteries if necessary.

My question is...now I have DRL of sorts I would like to replace the standard parking light bulbs for LEDs. Can anyone recommend a bulb they have successfully used (brighter the better) that is CANBUS friendly? Having said that I can now code out voltage monitoring of any of the bulbs to stop a warning light coming on...but I don't want to.

Thanks in advance
I run the leds from Halfords which are Canbus ready and cost £15. Tried multiple amazon and fleabay purchases but they all chucked errors. These have been fine for several months now
Clossie is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2018, 09:40 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Hi, Iíve got the app and OBD what settings did you go to..? Iíve tried to set my daughters Gen 2 fog lights as DRLís but to no avail.

Radhaz is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
youngcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radhaz View Post
Hi, Iíve got the app and OBD what settings did you go to..? Iíve tried to set my daughters Gen 2 fog lights as DRLís but to no avail.
You have to choose 'upper fog lights', (not sidelight/markers - these are the indicators - think US market).
I will have to go into the app and connect to remember exactly which programme they are in but it is in a section called lighting on the coding tile.
I think you also have to 'check' an option to switch on or activate DRL's.

If you have any trouble I will connect up and check.

R55 Clubman
youngcooper is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2018, 01:27 PM
MINI2 Senior
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Coast
Local Time: 05:37 PM
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Am I right in thinking the iPhone prog is £50 and the wifi OBD dongle doo-dad is another £50 ish?
timp is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 11:54 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 
Hi, I know it's been a while since your post about coding sidelights as DRL's, but I tried it myself this morning without success. The Carly App has a setting 1 & 2 to activate DRL's and states to activate both. Then I went to the 'Use Upper Fog Light as DRL'. The coding said successfull, but there was no change. Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Darran.
Clarksonmagpie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Tags: ,


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
URGENT HELP REQ'D - Side Lights Coming On By Themselves, Old Spot Light Wiring Prob? AlecMK First Generation Faults & Fixes 7 Jun 4th, 2017 10:50 AM
R56 showing light warning after replacing parking lights with LED bulbs The Snowman Second Generation MINI Exterior 3 Sep 3rd, 2016 07:34 PM
Help with CC-ID 131 and 132 error and all lights 100% working... vinnyzilla Second Generation MINI Cooper S 0 Dec 30th, 2014 09:10 PM
DRL's Tabintab General Discussion 5 Aug 11th, 2013 05:32 PM
parking lights vsavi002 General Discussion 1 Aug 21st, 2012 08:49 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome