which type of petrol?? - MINI Cooper Forum

Second Generation MINI One MINI One from 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 02:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Murker1991's Nightfire Red & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI One Profile View Murker1991's Classified Ads

Smile which type of petrol??

okay basically there was no normal petrol today and i was running on air so i put in some super unleaded and im sure its giving me more mpg and it seems quicker which is understandable seing as it costs more but do you think its worth it, i usually use atleast 15 of petrol a day with a really poor mpg (love to rag my car) does it really make a difference though or am i just imagining things? seing as this is the first time ive filled up with it i wasnt expecting it to be any different but im sure it was, what brand is the best to get if it matters?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male View The Eggman's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View The Eggman's Classified Ads

If running a pulley upgrade and plugs on a R53 you should have been advised to use Super unleaded.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View adam_Randell's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Profile View adam_Randell's Classified Ads

Send a message via MSN to adam_Randell
ALWAYS use super (Shell Optimax is the best IMO)

better mpg, better for your engine/injectors and better for you BHP count imo its worth the extra pennies!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2009, 10:26 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 01:43 PM

Scotland Male View scotty01's Sparkling Silver & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI One Profile View scotty01's Classified Ads

Send a message via MSN to scotty01
i use super unleaded, shell optimax or V-Power! its better for the engine
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male View Murker1991's Nightfire Red & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI One Profile View Murker1991's Classified Ads

theres no shell near me is esso any good or bp? i used to just stick anything in didnt really think it made a difference so i wasnt bothered but i agree its like 5p a litre more there is no reason why not to it actually makes a noticable difference to mpg when you rag it and i rag it non stop haha
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI One Seven

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View M.O.S's Pepper White & Body Color 1st Gen MINI One Profile

I usually use super, but I'm not feeling so frivilous at the moment, so its currently in receipt of some esso special! However, super really does make a difference, and when I return to feeling frivilous I'll use it!

The Original MINI One Seven
Yorkshire MINI Register - PM for details
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View adam_Randell's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Profile View adam_Randell's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murker1991 View Post
theres no shell near me is esso any good or bp? i used to just stick anything in didnt really think it made a difference so i wasnt bothered but i agree its like 5p a litre more there is no reason why not to it actually makes a noticable difference to mpg when you rag it and i rag it non stop haha
i dont really rate the BP stuff tbf, ithink the tesco 99 is better

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

i cant get the tesco pumps to work for me haha, is the higher ron number the better? the super stuff i put in is 97?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI One Seven

United Kingdom Male View M.O.S's Pepper White & Body Color 1st Gen MINI One Profile

Higher octane = better.

If you can get your hands on race petrol thats truly mental! Not that I've ever ran mine on that...

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 01:33 AM
MINI2 Senior

Scotland Male View scotty01's Sparkling Silver & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI One Profile View scotty01's Classified Ads

Send a message via MSN to scotty01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murker1991 View Post
i used to just stick anything in didnt really think it made a difference so i wasnt bothered
try diesel and see if that makes a difference

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom View johnny6's Classified Ads

Unless the Mini One is programmed to take advantage of Super (which I doubt) then you will get no benefit from Super over value unleaded, and you are wasting your money. Anyone who tells you different is kidding themselves and suffering from Super unleaded placebo affect.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI One Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny6 View Post
Unless the Mini One is programmed to take advantage of Super (which I doubt) then you will get no benefit from Super over value unleaded, and you are wasting your money. Anyone who tells you different is kidding themselves and suffering from Super unleaded placebo affect.
The one, like all minis, has a variable ECU which adapts to the fuel used Therefore it really isn't placebo

Also super is better at cleaning your engine, so once in a while it does all cars good

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 09:42 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny6 View Post
i echo what M.O.S said, MINIs have variable ECU's so just like it adapts the air/fuel ration in different weather, the way it changes to the way you drive, it also changes to the amount of 'bang' the fuel gives.

as super gives a bigger bang, it puts less fuel in the cylinder to create the same bang as regular fuel.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 08:43 AM

United States Male View ran-o-matic's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile

Don't know for sure about the UK, but here the highest octane fuel from the same vendor generally has the same detergent pack as the lowest octane fuel. Both have the same energy per ml. The higher octane is the only difference. It reduces the tendency of some engines for pre-ignition (generally occurring in higher compression or forced induction engines). Nothing more, nothing less.

I have no idea what fuel BMW recommends for a One. Heck, they don't even sell them here. If BMW recommends higher octane fuel, the car needs it to avoid pre-ignition. The ECU can retard timing to help with this as well, but this reduces power and efficiency. If they don't recommend higher octane fuel for a One, then the car will almost for sure not benefit by using it.

Last edited by ran-o-matic; Nov 11th, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2009, 02:43 PM

United Kingdom Female View mini_m's Classified Ads

humn, interesting thread, never considered the super fuel but the benefits seems that is a good advantage. As I drive around 1000 a month on work commute alone I will definitely give it a try now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in