Engine Shakes - What's Causing It? - MINI Cooper Forum
Second Generation Works MINI John Cooper Works and MINI WC50 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2018, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Question Engine Shakes - What's Causing It?

Hi guys,

Just bought a 2009 JCW from Craigslist, and I was sitting in the car during the test drive at idle and noticed vibration coming through the steering column and the seat. I ask the owner about it and she (2nd owner) had no idea. I thought, maybe it needs new plugs or something simple like that. Anyway, I bought it and I hope with y'all's expertise here that it will be a straightforward solution (as straightforward as MINIs get anyhow!). I wanted to get your opinion before I started throwing parts at it. There's oil around the valve cover, so I have new gaskets to install when I get back from SoCal on Friday.

It vibrates at idle all the time (cold or hot), and from cold start, RPM fluctuates 200-300.

What should I check for next? If vacuum leaks, where exactly?

Background: Timing chain full service was done Dec 2017, turbo replaced and walnut blasted last year as well. HPFP not yet done. Also don't know if this could cause a vacuum leak, but the AMS to turbo intake hose has a crack (more like a melted tear) on the turbo side under the hose clamp. It's over the lip on the turbo side, so should be fine?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2018, 07:56 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronleong View Post
Hi guys,

Just bought a 2009 JCW from Craigslist, and I was sitting in the car during the test drive at idle and noticed vibration coming through the steering column and the seat. I ask the owner about it and she (2nd owner) had no idea. I thought, maybe it needs new plugs or something simple like that. Anyway, I bought it and I hope with y'all's expertise here that it will be a straightforward solution (as straightforward as MINIs get anyhow!). I wanted to get your opinion before I started throwing parts at it. There's oil around the valve cover, so I have new gaskets to install when I get back from SoCal on Friday.

It vibrates at idle all the time (cold or hot), and from cold start, RPM fluctuates 200-300.

What should I check for next? If vacuum leaks, where exactly?

Background: Timing chain full service was done Dec 2017, turbo replaced and walnut blasted last year as well. HPFP not yet done. Also don't know if this could cause a vacuum leak, but the AMS to turbo intake hose has a crack (more like a melted tear) on the turbo side under the hose clamp. It's over the lip on the turbo side, so should be fine?

Thanks in advance!
without a diagnostic scan its all guess work, common is any air leaks on the breather circuit will causes problems idle up and down, also another common problem is the divert er valve on the side of turbo the spring goes soft or snaps and the turbo wont keep its pressure stable, below link. 60-100k always weak
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-R55-...kAAOSwCMFZ8LWB

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in