LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
HBP
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:13 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Engine revving by itself...!?

Hello - I’m new here - don’t seem to be able to post in the new members section but I have an important question to ask... 3 months ago I bought a 2018 JCW with 2500 miles in it from main dealer - everything been hunky dory, awesome little car! Until last week when the engine started revving on its own - approaching a junction in first gear, brake and clutch depressed waiting to pull out and I become aware or the engine revs increasing... I pull on handbrake and put into neutral and lift feet clear of pedals, then try lifting the throttle pedal with my foot, nothing, press throttle a couple of times, nothing, stomp throttle to floor, nothing, just keeps increasing in revs steadily, put it into gear and lift clutch to biting point, nothing, back into neutral... by now the revs are approaching 5000 rpm so I hit the stop start switch and it cuts out, start it again and all seems fine but really don’t want to drive it so phone dealers who say it’ll be 2 weeks til they can get it in but if I don’t want to wait I can get it recovered - get it recovered and get the ‘no fault code = no fault’ response... I refuse to accept the car back with that kind of issue so a case is raised with BMW Mini and they’ve never heard of such a thing... I then find out that 1 of the salesmen had a similar issue with 1 of their demo cars - a different model - seems strange that an issue like this would occur in 2 different models at the same dealers within weeks... so my question is has anybody experienced anything like this or heard of anything similar and was it reports to the dealers/BMW mini??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 12:23 PM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Is it some sort of launch control?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
HBP
MINI2 Newbie

It’s manual so doesn’t have launch control...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 02:48 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

toyota had something same and had a recall on it, would guess it would be a throttle pedal fault or throttle body fault. or a software fart. one of those faults unless it happens when mechanic sees it doing it and even then would need to be plugged in to work it or should say a chance of working it out,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
HBP
MINI2 Newbie

Hmmm interesting thanks...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
HBP
MINI2 Newbie

It’s interesting/worrying that a car can have such a potentially dangerous occurrence and leave no tell tale markers in the software that controls it and us drivers are at the mercy of dealers who haven’t got a clue what they’re dealing with... bit **** really...!?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
HBP
MINI2 Newbie

Surprised it took a whole week... 🤔
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6657D080-331D-4915-80D2-4806CFF4F3CE_1558112430584.png
Views:	36
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	228341  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 05:35 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBP View Post
Itís interesting/worrying that a car can have such a potentially dangerous occurrence and leave no tell tale markers in the software that controls it and us drivers are at the mercy of dealers who havenít got a clue what theyíre dealing with... bit **** really...!?
below link covers toyota, worth a read
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...throttle-8073/

the real worry is how long it took for toyota to be forced to admit to the problem in first place,, the throttle controller is a wire and arm that as it passes over the windings it changes the resistance that alters the voltage to tell ecu to go faster or not most work like this and can and do fail as get a lot of abuse from right foot all the time in use, but still should be fit for purpose, the issue with owning a european car in the usa is EOBD software if by law in EU set to be one way so all cars here must have same electronics to be able to read codes openly. i ahve run in to this issue the other way around with jeeps and un supported diagnostics a real pain and expensive to get one that will,,
autocom and wurth snooper search on ebay they are sold fairly cheap and do most things with EU cars.
your throttle issues need to be sort asap as i would say if drive car knowing it could do that and you had a accident could leave you open for a non payout or a court visit at worst, point this out to where you bought the car its their responsibility to ensure your car is safe for the whole warranty time smell and must be fit for purpose.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 05:37 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

if your car was a diesel i would of said check the turbo as very common on diesels when the seal fails first for engine to run on its own engine oil and start reving,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in