MINI Cooper Forum banner

New 2017 Cooper S Ride Quality.

10K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  SteveM3 
#1 ·
I have just bought a new 2017 Cooper "S" and was reassured by the supplying dealer when I ordered it that the suspension on these new cars was much more refined than it was on my previous MINI Cooper "S" as that was one of the very first of the new MINI Cooper "S" to be made.

The reason given was that my new Cooper "S" was now based on the BMW 1 series platform and also had the benefit of a BMW engine and auto gearbox as opposed to my old car that had "a Peugeot engine with a Chrysler gearbox".(quote).

My first drive in my new car today suggests that the ride quality has not improved much - if at all.

Although the car is great fun to drive the suspension does not feel any more supple or refined than my previous MINI Cooper "S", and as a pensioner it is hard to convince my wife that this is indeed the right car for us ::frown::

The test drive that we had before ordering the new car was in a 5 door Cooper "S" and this did seem to handle the bumps a little better than my new 3 door Cooper "S" even though I had been reassured that they would both give an identical ride quality.

My initial thoughts are that the extra wheelbase length of the 5 door car would give a slightly more supple ride - and my hopes are that my new car will become a little more "compliant" as it gets a few more miles on the clock as today was my first drive in it and it has only just clocked-up 110 miles from new.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, BMW's have a rough ride, even the SUV's which you would expect to be a bit softer handle like there is a steel gurder between the A-arm and the strut tower..
So if they are suggesting that the ride is now much improved just because it's based on the 1-series i would say that it's just a load of commercial nonsense.
It may sound more refined on paper that it is in essence a BMW, but the (literally) harsh reality is that it is if any only a slight improvement.

#7 ·
This is a problem of dealer that he didn't offer you that, if you are a good salesman then you need to have good knowledge of your product and offer the best solution to the customer. But as I said, you have to try VDC on MS and see does it make so much difference. On BMW 5 series that we had before it was a big difference when you compare same cars with or without VDC if this is the same system that is on Mini I can tell you can't compare the ride how much better it is.

#9 ·
Bad luck Zooma, think you are in a bit of a pickle. I'm also a pensioner. Gen1 MCS. Horrible ride. Ditched the run-flats. Not sure that is a straightforward route though for a brand new car?

I'm not sure I'd have made a £20+ financial commitment in a new car, that I could spec exactly to my requirements, wants/needs without doing a fair bit of research into the car.

As Cooper R has pointed out VDC is an option on your new car. I went onto Mini's UK site for the 3 door MCS and under Accessories, Equipment, Technology and in that menu the first option is:

Variable Damper Control
£ 375*
With Dynamic Damper Control, the vehicle reacts dynamically to any mode selected using the MINI Driving Modes function. Unlike the standard version, the dynamic suspension can switch between two different sets of characteristics offering a supremely comfortable driving experience – MID Mode and GREEN Mode - plus a third, sportier experience in SPORT Mode.
* Price applies to MINI COOPER S 3-DOOR HATCH

Sounds like a bargain.

Mostly I've found that you can't assume sales people understand their product. Best to do a bit of DIY.

Probably not that helpful a response but thought I'd pitch in.

#11 ·
Thanks Nigel,

Your thoughts are about right I would say.

I bought mine the day before the tax changes - it was a prebuilt car at the factory that was brought up to the dealership and registered in time.

The car ticked all of the boxes (or so I thought) and has a very good spec. - but the assurances from the enthusiastic MINI salesman regarding the much improved ride quality gave me no cause to look for options such as VDC.

My previous new MINI was a Cooper "S" a few years ago (one of the first of the new MINI Cooper "S" to be made) and with the promise of a much more supple ride and the "all BMW" engine and gear box it sounded ideal.

I do really like the car - BUT - the "much improved" ride quality is a myth as far as I can see as it feels just like my previous MINI "S" - great fun - but very bumpy !

#13 · (Edited)
Victory Spoke 495 - 16'' (Front & Rear Wheels: 6.5Jx16 ET54 p/n MIN 36116855106) Genuine MINI Wheels new ones in UK price is £939.02 + tiers. This is from alloywheelsdirect.net

I have just checked this out and with Bridgestone B250 175/60R16 82H tyres, Pressure sensors, centre caps and nitrogen filled it works out at almost £1240 ready to bolt on and run.

The wheels are listed as being MINI 16" 508 - I guess that is the Victory Spoke types?

The wheels look OK but I think I need to find out a little bit more about the tyre choice as I may be able to find something that works better and (possibly) rides better - any thoughts about the best tyre choice for a supple ride without loosing any grip?

Maybe the Bridgestones are the best?

#14 ·
Hi Zooma,

Very interested in your post, I collected a new Cooper S a month ago....

I spent much time debating tyres and wheels and still don't know if I did the right thing but in the end I decided to buy exactly what I had test driven which was a Cooper S on 18" Wheels with Runflats. I'm sure some people will say this is hideously hard but it was fine for us and it seemed the safest thing was to order what we liked! Having not driven anything other than a back to back test drive in a 3 door JCW maybe I don't know what I'm missing had I had standard 17" with normal tyres but both my wife and I were well happy (and more comfortable than in my previous BMW 1 Series Coupe Sport).

I do now wish that I'd added the adaptive dampers which at £375 is nothing in the scheme of things but I chose not to......would have been a belt and braces decision but there again you could spend your whole life switching from one setting to another and then from Normal to Sport and missing out on just driving!

However (and this is what I find interesting because you refer to it) I test drove and then bought a 5 door and I just wonder if the additional distance between wheels compensates the ride slightly? It's only 70mm but maybe, just maybe, that dampens out the ride a bit? In fact it must do.

Anyway, I hope yours 'softens up' a bit!

#17 ·
Hi sorry to hear your not happy with the ride quality.. had the gen 2 mini previously but moved up to
a new gen 3 Cooper s .. i had it new back in late 2015 so its not quite 2 years old yet ! it only
has 6k miles so still tight but i really does feel an emprovement in ride quality over the old model.. i did not
spec the VDC .. it does have a more harder edge to the ride but it never becomes crashy ! i don't think the
17" are fited with the RF tyres.. mine doesn't.. perhaps the car you tested had VDC ?

#19 ·
Hi,
we are in the same boat as the original poster (run flats on 18" wheels).

Replacing run flats has improved the crashing but the overall stiffness is still very high, track car like.

Could we replace springs or dampers with Cooper non-S versions? Has anybody tried this?

We have test driven the non-S before purchasing and the ride was more compliant. The S really does seem to be the 'track spec'.

#20 · (Edited)
The difference in the F56 suspension is more of a refinement improvement than a ride comfort improvement. I have VDC on my Cooper and it is cheap option for what you are getting. Reading between the lines the F56 Cooper S is quite a bit firmer than the Cooper. This most important part is to ditch runflat tyres if you have them. I ran a R56 Cooper S with 16's, 17's and 18's (not all at once!) with non-runflats and didn't find much difference between them in terms of ride so stuck to the 18 inch R105's for looks. My previous 2 Minis I had Koni FSD dampers fitted. For the R53 they made the ride a lot better and improved the handling a little. For the R56 which was already soft compared to the R53 they made a small improvement in ride and made high speed handling a lot better. Although the VDC is good for the money if I was to replace my car I would get the standard dampers and replace with Koni Special Active. Special Active is the new FSD's. It is easy the criticise sales people but they have a lot of training on the finance side of car purchases as they can't make mistakes with that and most aren't car nerds like a lot of us on MINI2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.