LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2018 Cooper S - Not fully painted?

Hey Everyone,

New Mini owner here. I recently purchased a Mini Cooper S - 2 door in Lapislux blue. One thing I noticed a few days after I purchased the car is the paint job seems to be incomplete? If I open the door (either door), and look in the crack to the inside vendor area I see mostly matte white with blue overspray. So it is as if the factory didn't paint the full car. I see some of the same type of white matte base with blue overspray under the hood as well. Is this normal for the mini cooper? I have never seen anything like it on any other cars Ive owned. The visible door jams and so forth are the same color of the car. It just seems to be these couple of spots that you can easily see through large cracks, but aren't really something you would normally be looking at.

Currently getting protective film on the Cooper or otherwise I would take a photo to show what I mean. Hopefully I should have it back next week and can throw a photo up if what I am saying doesn't make sense.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 09:40 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

England Male View SteveM3's  & Silver 3rd Gen MINI Cooper Profile

A picture would help as it may just be a trim piece. Modern cars are dipped into a tank of paint so you won't have bits missed at the factory. If it isn't trim then it could be a poor repair. Even brand new cars can be repaired at the dealer as transport accidents can happen. A dealer doesn't volunteer this information.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Some people are like a Slinky ........ not really good for anything, but you still can't help
but smile when you shove them down the stairs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Yeah that is what I thought. I didn't see anything on the Carfax for the car, and it only had 6 miles on it when I purchased it. Guess I need to reach out to the dealer and see what they have to say. Wish I had a picture.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 05:33 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Garage
Don't know about Mini per se but it is common that some areas of a car don't get fully covered when the car is painted (sprayed).

The first coat, primer, is applied by dippng the car in a vat of paint, but the final exterior color is most often sprayed on -- by an army of paint robots.

The areas that are visible say when the door is opened or the trunk or hood are fully painted (generally) but if you look at areas that are normally hidden behind plastic panels, or other outside sheet metal the exterior paint covering is generally pretty thin. There is just primer or whatever first layers of primer/paint are applied.

You can see a brief bit of this at this link: Uh, sorry the link is not present because I have not yet posted enough posts.

Do this: In a google search window enter the following search string (without the quotes) :

"factory building a mini cooper s"

You should see a hit: "New Mini Production - YouTube". Click on that link.

if you bring up the video I watched at around the 6:34 mark you see the row of spray nozzles apply the exterior final color.

At around the 7:06 mark you see individual robots apply more color. But notice some areas of the "tub" if they get any exterior color at all get it via overspray.

But there are a number of different videos. I haven't watched them all so I don't know if all show the same thing, more of it, or less of it, or something different.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2018, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks again for everyone who responded. Ran into a coworker who has a 2008 2 door S. Although his is green, I looked in the same spot and his looks similar to mine. So I guess its normal which is some what comforting to see.

Happy motoring.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2018, 12:38 PM
MINI2 Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfox View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that is what I thought. I didn't see anything on the Carfax for the car, and it only had 6 miles on it when I purchased it. Guess I need to reach out to the dealer and see what they have to say. Wish I had a picture.
Be very careful putting too much faith in Carfax reports. I was a structural damage inspector for Manheim Auctions for 11 years. Many of the cars showed up at the auction with Carfax reports in them and most of the time the reports were not correct.

Be very careful putting your faith in a Carfax report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in