gmacr59 - MINI Cooper Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

gmacr59

Hi. I'm thinking of putting 12mm or 15mm wheel spacers on my 2015 R59 cooper s, the question is am I doing more harm than good? If anyone has any info on this I'd be pleased to know.

cheers gmac

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2018, 11:35 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

What are you trying to achieve by spacing that much?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

R59/ spacers

Hi, The question is does putting wheel spacers on improve the handling of the vehicle by making a wider track, Looking at the available spacer widths I thought 12 to 15mm was not a great amount compared to some I see. I feel it looks better as well..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2018, 06:38 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacR59 View Post
Hi, The question is does putting wheel spacers on improve the handling of the vehicle by making a wider track, Looking at the available spacer widths I thought 12 to 15mm was not a great amount compared to some I see. I feel it looks better as well..
its not that straight forward by pushing the wheels out can effect the leverage on the movement of shocks, also doe put a tad more load leverage on wheel bearings but how much time would tell. if i were doing it to a car i would think about wheel arch clearances under bigger loads due to increased leverage,, the standard shocks have a designed for a given load and travel so many changes to loads. wider track on a fully adjustable suspension and some time with a 4 wheel laser and someone that understands where grip is gained,, ie a company that sets up race cars or drift cars money well spent.. a DIY give it a go method might be lucky to gain something fairly big gamble could end up costing a lot for no gains in long run

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1967 For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:10 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
its not that straight forward by pushing the wheels out can effect the leverage on the movement of shocks, also do put a tad more load leverage on wheel bearings but how much, time would tell. if i were doing it to a car i would think about wheel arch clearances under bigger loads due to increased leverage,, the standard shocks have a designed for a given load and travel so many changes to loads. Wider track on a fully adjustable suspension and some time with a 4 wheel laser and someone that understands where grip is gained = i.e. a company that sets up race cars or drift cars money well spent. A DIY give it a go method might be lucky to gain something fairly big gamble could end up costing a lot for no gains in long run
Mike, question. Putting 15mm spacers on is, assuming the standard wheels are ET48, which most MINI wheels are, is effectively going to give you an ET equivalent of ET33. Which is pretty aggressive. 12mm would give ET36

So is fitting say a wheel like a TD 1.2 with ET37 the same with respect to the issues you raise above?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:35 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
Mike, question. Putting 15mm spacers on is, assuming the standard wheels are ET48, which most MINI wheels are, is effectively going to give you an ET equivalent of ET33. Which is pretty aggressive. 12mm would give ET36

So is fitting say a wheel like a TD 1.2 with ET37 the same with respect to the issues you raise above?
i'm not saying the issue what i'm saying is altering geometry of any car or bike by altering wheels offset needs to done correctly to have gains, when i was 17 years old a had and i know but it was cheap a datsun 100a for work hack but did glue alfa romeo 1.5 alfasud engine and gearbox in it on standard wheels and brakes and yes it was a death trap in the wrong hands,, but my point is because it had narrow tyres it would spin the front wheels a lot and because of this i could steer it more on the right foot,, ie power on understeer power off at 4000 revs and about get oversteer,, so all my mates back then had rs 2000s and gte's opel manta's and the only one that could live with this datsun was a mini 1275 with dcoe carbs and a nuts driver to be honest,,, the others messed around with wheels and tyres and all said made their cars worse to live with on the bendy roads, as with all that grip comes the dangerous part ie if a car can be forced at will to under steer or over steer its more controlled than one that grips right to that point with no warning lets go,, so adding grip means that car will be travelling fast at point of grip if the geometry is altered wrongly to remove all understeer, underteer is good keeps you safe warns you to if its creeps up on you and suddenly no grip,, and this is why i hate all cars without rack and pinion steering with no feel to them but thats another story. all newer cars are not really designed for driver input its A to B add some bhp and some seats and call them sports,,
most people would get more performance from doing grass tracking for a year or rally course so much fun at that understeer and over steer point in any car

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in