June is Lane Courtesy Month - MINI Cooper Forum

USA For USA National social and meetings discussion. Includes regional sub forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Slovakia View snek's Indi Blue & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View snek's Classified Ads

June is Lane Courtesy Month

Moving Over USA – June is Lane Courtesy Month

Moving over or yielding to faster traffic is an important, but often forgotten, concept. In order to promote this basic driving rule, which is commonly referred to as “lane courtesy,” the National Motorists Association has designated June as Lane Courtesy Month.

Practicing Lane Courtesy has many benefits. First of all, lane courtesy makes our roads safer. The simple act of moving over for faster traffic smoothes the flow of traffic, which reduces congestion, tailgating, dangerous passes, and erratic speed fluctuations.

Lane courtesy also reduces “road rage.” The failure of slower traffic to yield can make driving irritating. By practicing lane courtesy, our time behind the wheel becomes more enjoyable and motorists are less likely to engage in aggressive behaviors brought on by frustration.

Given the high price of gas, it’s also worth mentioning that lane courtesy can improve gas mileage. Vehicles consume more fuel when they accelerate than when they maintain a consistent speed. When motorists have to brake and maneuver around a driver blocking the left lane, they waste time, gas, and money!

Each year, billions of dollars are spent to enforce speed limits and seatbelt laws, but very few people even know about lane courtesy laws. The law requires that vehicles drive in the right lane unless they are passing or turning left.

“These laws were designed to benefit motorists, but it’s almost never enforced,” said Ivan Sever, the NMA’s Massachusetts State Chapter Coordinator. “Lane courtesy is worthy of as much attention as other traffic laws, if not more.”

Increased public awareness about this issue coupled with simple changes in driving behavior can have a major impact. “Lane Courtesy takes some effort, but it’s worth it,” said Eric Skrum, NMA Communications Director. “If every motorists do their part, driving would be more fun, our roads would be safer, and we could even save money on gas.” For more information about the concept of lane courtesy and its many benefits, visit www.lanecourtesy.org.

The National Motorists Association (NMA) was established in 1982 to represent the interests and rights of North American motorists. It is a grassroots organization that operates at the national level and through a system of state chapters. The NMA is entirely supported through the contributions of individuals, families, and small businesses. To find out more about the NMA and its activities, visit www.motorists.org.

- END -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

England Male View Root Ginger's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via AIM to Root Ginger Send a message via Yahoo to Root Ginger
Think we need this in the UK too. We have the almost the same law except it keep to the left rather than right unless overtaking.

It was acceptable in the 80's
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Sitting on a park bench..

United States View Aqualung's Indi Blue & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Ginger
Think we need this in the UK too. We have the almost the same law except it keep to the left rather than right unless overtaking.
tho', it's all relative as whenever I'm over driving in the UK, it's so refreshing to drive w/ people who do stay to the right, er left, and also properly give way at the roundabouts. Then again, as Ivan knows, I'm probably jaded by the "m*******" drivers here in Massachusetts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2006, 01:39 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 04:16 PM

United States Male View tx-jbird's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Personally, I would love to see someone teach any amount of courtesy to wrecker drivers. I don't know how many times I have seen one almost cause a wreck while rushing to one.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
gadgetmeister

United Nations View GadgetGav's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View GadgetGav's Classified Ads

Haha... nice idea, but it'll never take off..!
Maybe I forgot while I was on vacation, but I'm amazed at how fast and how badly people drive here in MA. I got up Rt3 every day and I must say it was really nice of the state to spend all that money building an extra lane on the right on Rt3 just for me. I try to keep to less than 70 (as the limit is a ridiculous 55 - same as it was before they made it 50% wider) and I'm either passing people who do 55 in the middle when there's no one within about 1 mile of them, or I'm getting passed by Hyundais and mini vans and huge pick ups doing 85-95... Madness.

Religion is like a huge dog. If it's yours it's very friendly and comforting, but it scares the heck out of everyone else.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:47 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
brown is back

United States Male View snid's Velvet Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snek
“If every motorists do their part, driving would be more fun, our roads would be safer, and we could even save money on gas.”
Ivan,

I think you need to hire Secco to proofread your press releases.

Although, this one isn't as humorous as "objection your honor, that's heresy".

jtross | snid | jason - bloggage (including videos)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Slovakia View snek's Indi Blue & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View snek's Classified Ads

I saw that after it went out... but I must add I didn't write it, or the "heresy" story.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
gadgetmeister

United Nations View GadgetGav's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View GadgetGav's Classified Ads

Never mind "Lane Courtesy Month", today Rt3 drivers were holding the "Left Lane Come What May" day.
A variety of participants were welcomed on Rt3 today, from the 'solo left-laner' with no-one to their right, in front or behind for 1/4 mile or more, to the 'left convoy member' who carefully avoids any premature wear on the newly widened Rt3 by carefully following the car ahead in the left most lane even when there are two other lanes of empty highway to their right.
A special mention to the driver of the Chevy Avalanche on Rt3 south this afternoon who was that special kind of extremist: "Left Lane Come What May, Except When The Left Is Closed For Road Work With A Cop In The Lane When I Then Cut Across 3 Lanes, Stomp On The Brakes And Pretend I Always Do 60mph". Of course, as soon as the lane closure ended, he swung across 3 lanes again to resume his rightful place on the left, even though the middle lane and some of the left lane passed him in the mile I still had to share the road with him.

Maybe it's the sun beating down on their heads....

Religion is like a huge dog. If it's yours it's very friendly and comforting, but it scares the heck out of everyone else.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:25 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
brown is back

United States Male View snid's Velvet Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

I'm so glad I don't have to drive route 3 every day anymore. Hopefully never again.

jtross | snid | jason - bloggage (including videos)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
gadgetmeister

It's not so bad when you're going against the flow. Takes me 25 min door-to-door.
Plus they widened it with a MINI only lane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in