Hiring a car in the US and General tourist info - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum

USA For USA National social and meetings discussion. Includes regional sub forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 09:21 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States View howsoonisnow1985's Classified Ads

Some Enterprise and Budget rentals have MINIs in LA, they also rent MINIs on the strip in Vegas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 11:24 PM
w' all the toys..

Local Time: 11:52 AM

United Kingdom Male View BRG/Blk Cooper S's British Racing Green & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View BRG/Blk Cooper S's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985 View Post
Some Enterprise and Budget rentals have MINIs in LA, they also rent MINIs on the strip in Vegas
As much as I love my Cooper S.........why (as a Brit) rent a MINI when doing a US Road Trip??
The MINI is an amazing car but here in the UK they are everywhere - on my street alone there are 6, very funny when we all end up parked in a row .

Travelling is all about experiencing different cultures and staying as far away from the familiar as possible - the wide open roads of America need an American car, designed with those roads and distances in mind.........and of course the deep rumble of a V8 under the bonnet......the all time No 1 American soundtrack..

What better car than a Mustang - classic American metal with a wonderful heritage.........sort of like the USA's Mini really.......or not

Plus at least in the USA us foreigners can afford to put gas in such a vehicle - over here you'd almost need a second mortgage..

post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
oooh ... pagers!

Local Time: 10:52 AM

Orkney Islands Female View dakini's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View dakini's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG/Blk Cooper S View Post
You cannot experience the US without a car - it's totally built around the automobile!!
Drive thru everything.........Banks, Starbucks, Dry Cleaners, Valet Parking everywhere.......has to be seen to be believed - and the distances are incredible..
you forgot our drive-thru beer and wine sellers.

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2008, 10:49 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Uranus is composed of gas

Local Time: 02:52 AM

United States Female View Mister's Classified Ads

Send a message via Yahoo to Mister
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG/Blk Cooper S View Post
LA.....no car..............absolutely forget it!
Although people are actually walking in LA now - 10 years ago anything other than the strip was just deserted and people in cars looked at you like you were an alien (which technically I was).
We still look at pedestrians like they're freaks Nobody walks in LA.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Fin
Giggity-goo!

United Kingdom Male View Fin's Thunder Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S JCW GP Profile

Send a message via MSN to Fin
Can anyone recommend any stuff we must see in the California/Nevada/Arizona area? We'll be flying into LA on the 2nd May. Places we already have in mind are Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam, up the coast from LA to San Fran and back (taking in Yosemite NP too).

I'm looking for any suggestions. I want to start working out a Google maps route, so I can work out stops. Also I'm gonna see if it will be cheaper to drive the whole thing (~2000 miles) or do the LA - LV section by plane.

There's so much to do before I go!

post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Loves the Fuzzy One

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

United States Female

Send a message via AIM to AprilWhine Send a message via MSN to AprilWhine Send a message via Skype™ to AprilWhine
You might want to add driving through Death Valley to your tour. It's a very short detour on the LV to LA route. If we're in LV while you're here, we can take you off roading in the NV desert.

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
6X therapist

View Goonery's Classified Ads

I'd suggest

Sequoia National Park, Giant Sequoia, Sequoia Trees, Sequoia National Park Lodging

and Kings Canyon while you are in that neck of the woods

Both stunning.

I'll second Death Valley too and Grand Canyon, but North Rim as its more amazing and less frequented by hoardes of tourists. And the drive into the North Rim is unbelievable.

Williams Az is worth a visit (Rods steak house and the Red Garter B&B especially) and you get to do a bit of Route 66 as part of the trip too.
Thanks for this post from:
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Loves the Fuzzy One

United States Female

Send a message via AIM to AprilWhine Send a message via MSN to AprilWhine Send a message via Skype™ to AprilWhine
Whatever Goonery says is true, he's driven across the US more often than most Americans.

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
6X therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilWhine View Post
Whatever Goonery says is true, he's driven across the US more often than most Americans.
25 States and over 20'000 miles makes us more accomplished than the Lewis and Clark expedition which was a measly 7,689 miles. Of course they had no idea what was out there, relied on horses and there were no maps west of the Mississippi river.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM
going or coming?

Local Time: 12:52 AM

United Nations View lespurgeon's Dark Silver & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Canyon De Chelly in Arizona.

I suppose it becomes a question of what is your primary interest. I'm a hiker type, and spent a lot of time in the CA parks (Yosemite, Lassen, Sequoia) when I lived in CA. WIne region around Napa is fun-take a driver.

post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
6X therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

I suppose it becomes a question of what is your primary interest. I'm a hiker type, and spent a lot of time in the CA parks (Yosemite, Lassen, Sequoia) when I lived in CA. WIne region around Napa is fun-take a driver.

After a while one winery looks much like another, or should the be two winery look like another
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Loves the Fuzzy One

United States Female

Driving Highway 1 along the CA coast satisfies more than one option. Scenery, twisty road, and many nearby attractions.

post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:42 PM
going or coming?

Local Time: 12:52 AM

United Nations View lespurgeon's Dark Silver & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonery View Post
After a while one winery looks much like another, or should the be two winery look like another
True, but they don't always taste the same. Mondavi used to give a good tour. Even more fun is to bike from brew-pub to brew-pub in Portland or Seattle, but a bit north of the intended tour.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
oooh ... pagers!

Local Time: 10:52 AM

Orkney Islands Female View dakini's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View dakini's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin View Post
Can anyone recommend any stuff we must see in the California/Nevada/Arizona area? We'll be flying into LA on the 2nd May. Places we already have in mind are Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam, up the coast from LA to San Fran and back (taking in Yosemite NP too).

I'm looking for any suggestions. I want to start working out a Google maps route, so I can work out stops. Also I'm gonna see if it will be cheaper to drive the whole thing (~2000 miles) or do the LA - LV section by plane.

There's so much to do before I go!
Quote:
You might want to add driving through Death Valley to your tour. It's a very short detour on the LV to LA route. If we're in LV while you're here, we can take you off roading in the NV desert.
good suggestion

good suggestion.

i'd vote for doing the skywalk on the south rim though ... glass floor over the canyon. yikes

Quote:
very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonery View Post
25 States and over 20'000 miles makes us more accomplished than the Lewis and Clark expedition which was a measly 7,689 miles. Of course they had no idea what was out there, relied on horses and there were no maps west of the Mississippi river.
apparently he also knows more american history than most americans, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post
i agree. i also used to work in Chinle, where the Canyon is. So I'm biased. Take a Din'eh (Navajo) led tour to see the white house ruins. (You're required to have a guide on most tours because it's sacred ground).

Other places:

San Diego, and taking the train/walk to Tiajuana (don't drive).
San Diego zoo

Northern California: the usual SF stuff: Alcatraz, visiting Berkeley, tour of the city, Ghirardelli choccie factory tour or Sharfen-Berger tour, wine, redwoods,

Arizona: Lake Havisu City, where London Bridge is. ok, probably not really worth it.

post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2008, 02:50 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 03:52 AM

United States Male View pooper's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Fin,

If you are coming to San Francisco and Northern California, then you are coming into my part of the world. We would love to show you around. As Goonery can confirm we have some great roads in the SF bay area. Please drop me an email and let me know when you will be in town.

My wife & I are palnning on going to the UK around the 15th of May and driving the London to Brighton run, then following with MINI United 2009. If I am not here, there are many in our club that would love to show you around. My email is [email protected] and feel rree to visit our website Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts, we have several run maps that you can use that include Yosemite, the wine country, San Francisco, and the northern California coast.

I would be happy to try to help fix you up with a Mini hire (rental) here in San Francisco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in