Hiring a car in the US and General tourist info - Page 4 - MINI Cooper Forum

USA For USA National social and meetings discussion. Includes regional sub forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Now what have I done????

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Australia Male View dalboyne's Classified Ads

Very true...but they might offer a complimentary upgrade, especially if they have run out of the cheap cars! But if so, first they will try to get you to pay for an upgrade.....and if you refuse, they may give you the car anyway!!! This has been my experience on more than one occasion in the states...

Not here much any more
Thanks for this post from:
Fin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2009, 05:37 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 10:57 PM

United States Male View dukesantos's Pure Silver & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

You mentioned at the beginning possibly going into Mexico. If you are still thinking about that, standard insurance doesn't cover Mexico, a special policy is required. Also, rental car companies probably do not permit their vehicles to leave the USA, I would check carefully.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukesantos For This Useful Post:
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2009, 05:53 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Loves the Fuzzy One

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

United States Female

Send a message via AIM to AprilWhine Send a message via MSN to AprilWhine Send a message via Skype™ to AprilWhine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalboyne View Post
Very true...but they might offer a complimentary upgrade, especially if they have run out of the cheap cars! But if so, first they will try to get you to pay for an upgrade.....and if you refuse, they may give you the car anyway!!! This has been my experience on more than one occasion in the states...
That is true, it's why I never reserved anything but the bottom line car.

Dollar Rent-a-car in Las Vegas was my favorite: They take you to the car lot and tell you to pick anything from the designated row. If your row was empty, then it was anything on the lot.

post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Fin
Giggity-goo!

Local Time: 06:57 AM

United Kingdom Male View Fin's Thunder Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S JCW GP Profile

Send a message via MSN to Fin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesantos View Post
You mentioned at the beginning possibly going into Mexico. If you are still thinking about that, standard insurance doesn't cover Mexico, a special policy is required. Also, rental car companies probably do not permit their vehicles to leave the USA, I would check carefully.
Any trip to Mexico will be organised with a hostel from San Diego, where the car shall be left. We're only thinking of a day trip just to take in one more country. To be honest, I haven't heard great things about Tijuana!

There generally aren't any problem crossing state lines are there? We plan on hitting Nevada too.

post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Loves the Fuzzy One

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

United States Female

Send a message via AIM to AprilWhine Send a message via MSN to AprilWhine Send a message via Skype™ to AprilWhine
No problems at all with state lines. California has a border inspection but it's only for plants. Be aware though, there are border patrol stations all along the southwestern US on main roads. You have to stop and declare citizenship. I don't know if you have to show a passport but will ask then next time I go through the one on US 95.

Fin
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 10:57 PM

United States Male View dukesantos's Pure Silver & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

The only other permanent checkpoints are on Hwy 93 on either side of Hoover Dam. They were setup after 9/11/2001. They just look quickly at regular passenger vehicles and wave them through, no documents requested. Trucks, motor homes and trailers get a more detailed inspection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in