New member, Hello, need some suggestions - MINI Cooper Forum

Welcome New Members New members, please introduce yourself here. Tell us a bit about you and your Mini.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:41 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Female

Unhappy New member, Hello, need some suggestions

Hello guys,

i am excited to join this site as it has helped me get an insight of what could be wrong with my mini, hope you can help.

I have owned my mini cooper convertible for just over two months and i love it, when i first had it the car was fine, then the first weekend of owning the car, on the saturday, i checked the coolant as i had a previous mini i owned for a day, yes a day, and got my other car and money back as the head was going on it so i get paranoid.

i was amazed to see that the coolant had completely gone, once i got home i topped up the coolant and then since then the expansion tank has kept emptying, i took it back to the garage a few times under warranty and it has still been doing it, it had a new radiator as the other one apparently had a hole in and this was causing the problem.

It did the same thing but started bubbling. All of a sudden the expansion tank would be over full and bubble. Then it would either go to min or completely empty again.

I changed the cap on the expansion tank and that seemed to fix it, it was going to min then max when hot, then back to min when cool.

The coolant has bubbled a fair bit and i am wondering if there is air in the system, would you suggest i bleed it? or flush it and put in new coolant?

The car has never over heated and the temp gauge is sat in the middle all the time when its driven. The fan has never come on to cool the car and my oil is good.

it drove me up to cardiff and back on the weekend and it was fine, just the coolant bubbled on the way up, no coolant loss.
Then in the main part of the city it began bubbling alot during sitting in traffic, then it lost the coolant.

i am really worried if it is the head gasket or a major problem, please could someone suggest an idea of what it could possibly be.

Thank you
Betty

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9666j.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	188201  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I drive an oiler...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Are you saying that all the time you were sat in traffic the fan never came on? That's not right.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female

The fan that cools the car when its over heating has never come on. It has been up and down with coolant a while now and it bubbles, then when stopped either goes to min or emptys. The fan has never come on to cool the car, it has never over heated, i thought with no coolant the fan would kick in but it never has.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2015, 07:47 PM
I drive an oiler...

United Kingdom Male

Garage
I think something awry there. Get it back to the dealers if you have any type of comeback with them
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female

I will take i back to them, i don't trust them fully, they have taken it back a few times and the last time i mentioned about the coolant bubbling they took it and sat it running in the garage for an hour to see it over heat, it didnt do anything as it happens after its been driven, im sure they didn't do anything to it.
but i will take it back, plus i do have the right to its under warranty
thank you for replying much appreciated
i just hope my car is ok
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2015, 08:21 PM
I drive an oiler...

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Hope you get it fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in