Kermit and the ticking rattling noise r53 engine & Supercharge not whining - MINI Cooper Forum
Welcome New Members New members, please introduce yourself here. Tell us a bit about you and your Mini.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Kermit and the ticking rattling noise r53 engine & Supercharge not whining

Hi my mini has developed a rattle sound, ive replaced the tensioner but still making the sound and its coming from the front of the engine. Also my supercharger is not making a whining sound, ive never really noticed it making a whining sound has anyone got any ideas please

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2015, 11:02 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)

Australia Male

Garage
Have you ever had the SC off and changed the Oil ?

Easy job to do with the radiator off if you have some mechanical nouse.

Could be worn gears in the SC which would entail a new or reco SC, not cheap either way.

Use a long handle screw driver with the handle in your ear to try to pinpoint the noise, may even be the water pump.

Either way, if you think its your SC or water pump, your looking at removing it for inspection.

If the SC is OK, it wouldn't hurt to do the oil change anyway and change the oil every 50,000 kms.

Also check if the timing chain tensioner needs replacing (an assumption the tensioner you referred to is the S belt tensioner).

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Hi thanks for the reply, i have never changed the oil on the supercharger so i guess i will do that, when im next off

I have changed the timing chain tensioner, but i think the noise is coming from the auxiliary belt tensioner, so i guess i need to order the removal tool to remove the belt - there is some play in this tensioner as the black strut has some play in it - and im sure this is the issue, are these common to fail do you know?

I presume with the belt removed i will be able to turn all the pullys over by hand and see if there is any play in any of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in