MINI Cooper Forum banner

2006 Auto Mini died while driving and won't restart

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  06 Cooper S Tulsa 
#1 ·
Hi - New owner of a 2006 Mini (Automatic) with 87K miles. I've already learned a lot from reading forum posts, so thank you all. I hope to learn a lot more and contribute if possible.

At present, I could use some help/advice. While driving on the freeway, I noticed my mini was decelerating rapidly and then it died as I managed to pull it off to the side of the road.

At first, the engine would kick over and run for 2-3 seconds, then die, but then it stopped turning over at all. It now "sounds" like it would, if only...

All observable electrical functions are still working, i.e. interior lights, windows, A/C, radio but dash lights suddenly on were: battery, oil, safety restraint, check engine and the gas guage displayed as empty despite having 1/2 tank the day before. This occurred late on a Friday afternoon, so I had it towed to my apt to run my own diagnostics first.

I've taken out and looked at every fuse in the cab and under the hood and everything looks okay there.

The OBD tool returns only one error: P0070 (Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit) and the following freeze frame and current data. Since I can't turn the engine on, I don't know if that limits the tool's diagnostics.

Freeze Frame Data:
Fuel System Status Bank 1: CL, using H02S
Fuel System Status Bank 2: N/A
Calculated Load: 25.9%
Cooland Temp: 195 F
S.T. Fuel Trim B1: -2.4%
L.T Fuel Trim B1: 2.3%
Intake M.A.P.: 5 PSI
Engine Speed: 1575 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 19.3 mph
Ignition Timing: 17.0
Intake Air Temp: 120 F
Throttle Position: 15.7%

Current Live Data:
Fuel System Status Bank 1: OL, not ready CL
Fuel System Status Bank 2: N/A
Calculated Load: 0.0%
Cooland Temp: 82 F
S.T. Fuel Trim B1: -0.0%
L.T Fuel Trim B1: 0.8%
Intake M.A.P.: 14 PSI
O2S B1, S1 STF: -0.0%
02S B1, S2: 0.405v
02S B1, S2 STF: -0.0%
OBD Test System: OBD, OBDII

Thank you for your reading time, help and/or guidance.

See less See more
#3 ·
No previous issue with overheating that I'm aware of, but it's Austin, TX and was close to 100 outside. When I first got in, it started, then died, so I tried again and it kicked over and stayed running. I thought perhaps just a fluke at that point until I got out on the road. I'd only gone travelled about 2 miles down the road when I fully gave out. That said, even after cooling down in the shade overnight, wouldn't start up. Fluid levels are okay from what I can see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.