Leaning towards a Clubman - MINI Cooper Forum

Welcome New Members New members, please introduce yourself here. Tell us a bit about you and your Mini.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:16 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Leaning towards a Clubman

Hi Everyone.

After a four year gap from MINI ownership I am thinking of rejoining the fold. I used to have an R56 2007 Cooper D hatch bought new but sold it in 2014, I will be doing a few more miles a year again now and am thinking of getting an R55 Clubman. I did enjoy the power delivery and torque of my Diesel but may go for a petrol this time around. Looking forward to making new friends on here!

Jon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

If you are Partial to the Petrol try and find a June 2010 + LCI R55 it has the "better" N18 engine..

harbour lad likes this.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thanks for that, I've read a few horror stories about the original 2nd een petrol engines so good advice. If I go for an older one I might be better of with another D if I can find one with a sensible mileage that's been looked after. My budget will be stretched to find a decent LCI model, especially with the extras that I would like it to have.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 07:03 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbour lad View Post
Hi Everyone.

After a four year gap from MINI ownership I am thinking of rejoining the fold. I used to have an R56 2007 Cooper D hatch bought new but sold it in 2014, I will be doing a few more miles a year again now and am thinking of getting an R55 Clubman. I did enjoy the power delivery and torque of my Diesel but may go for a petrol this time around. Looking forward to making new friends on here!

Jon
we have cooper clubman r55 black silver with strips and blacked out windows with 90k on it 59-reg good cars do loads of mpg dont suffer from timing chains pre 2010 march as it psa 1.6 hdi engine. one thing bearing in mind is dpf filter needs changing around 75k and turbo around 100k also timing belt water pump around 80k i just done all on ours recently to future proof it, i do like n18 engine cooper s but the 20mpg if driving it fairly hard and 50k timing chain kits and at least 1 litre of engine oil to 300 miles as fairly normal.. the diesel uses no oil, the last one diesel one we had was dpf deleted and egr and was 161bhp mapped went very well, i rate the r55 with psa engine more than the later n47 diesel better to live with parts are cheaper no timing chain mounted at rear of engine just a better long term prospect.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Thanks for that, I've read a few horror stories about the original 2nd een petrol engines so good advice. If I go for an older one I might be better of with another D if I can find one with a sensible mileage that's been looked after. My budget will be stretched to find a decent LCI model, especially with the extras that I would like it to have.
I would personally rather have a well looked after Cooper D than an early N14 if i'm honest

The PSA 1.6 is pretty bombproof they can also be remapped for a pretty good increase in torque and power.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 07:06 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
whats your budget

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

I'm looking around £5-6k maybe a little more for a really high spec car.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 07:20 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
I'm looking around £5-6k maybe a little more for a really high spec car.
you find something really nice for that, mileage and history is key when looking for one, and that kind of money will give you a dilemma ie 6k should buy a n47 diesel 2011-2013 i would guess,, mine is 59 2 months away from 2010 and i could of bought a 2011 plate cooper d for few hundred quid more but i see these bmw own engines with timing chain issues, also the dpf filters because they are very new still are very expensive, hence why i bought the earlier psa diesel the dpf filet is in two parts £112 the timing belt water pump kit £70 fuel filter £15.
the n47 diesel timing chain job bmw 3k private garage £1800 engine out dpf filter £400 fule filter £60 not trying to put you off just giving you the facts,, ho timing chains 70k

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thanks for all the advice, which was well digested and after a long search and a period working abroad I'm pleased to say I finally managed to find an R55 Cooper D Clubman with a spec that I wanted in good condition and a sensible mileage, I collected it yesterday. It's in Pepper White with a black roof and mirrors, it was built in early 2010 and the one owner who had it from new before me ticked a good few boxes on the options list, as well as the Chili pack it has the Visibility pack with heated screen, mirrors, auto lights and wipers, Bluetooth and USB, MFSW, darkened rear glass and leather lounge interior with cream piping and seat heating. As it's a pre LCI car it has the PSA engine that I am familiar with from my original R56, it has only covered 45k miles so everything still feels tight and it drives really well.

I'm planning a few mods already, I think it would look better with black bonnet stripes (the classic 'Cooper' style), I will do the 'channel swap' mod and fit A pillar trims with tweeters as it only has the basic Boost audio system. I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions on here in time and am glad to be back in the MINI fold again!

Jon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	226055  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 04:33 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, which was well digested and after a long search and a period working abroad I'm pleased to say I finally managed to find an R55 Cooper D Clubman with a spec that I wanted in good condition and a sensible mileage, I collected it yesterday. It's in Pepper White with a black roof and mirrors, it was built in early 2010 and the one owner who had it from new before me ticked a good few boxes on the options list, as well as the Chili pack it has the Visibility pack with heated screen, mirrors, auto lights and wipers, Bluetooth and USB, MFSW, darkened rear glass and leather lounge interior with cream piping and seat heating. As it's a pre LCI car it has the PSA engine that I am familiar with from my original R56, it has only covered 45k miles so everything still feels tight and it drives really well.

I'm planning a few mods already, I think it would look better with black bonnet stripes (the classic 'Cooper' style), I will do the 'channel swap' mod and fit A pillar trims with tweeters as it only has the basic Boost audio system. I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions on here in time and am glad to be back in the MINI fold again!

Jon.
that is totally what i would of bought if i were looking for one today very last 1.6 hdi engine'd. couple of heads up points its all about the engine oil on these engines, keep it changed at 12 months or no more than 10.000 miles and always use a engine flush, i use seafoam its the best out there i feel.. one job you should have done is get the gauze filter that lives in the bottom banjo bolt for the oil feed to turbo. and new dpf filter ever 70k, they use same engine on volvo v50 i see them with 200k on them still running just because volvo say dpf filter must be changed at 75k, and volvo drivers seem to be very fussy with service stuff.
just put couple picks of mine. i'm selling soon

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180730_142824.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	226057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180531_135202.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	226059  

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 04:40 PM
cristo

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
I chose an R55 clubman to replace my 2003 R50
that got totaled recently because it’s the smallest
lightest MINI that has both the more powerful engine
(S or JCW) AND room for a compact spare
(although for the JCW you need a wheel spacer, too
to clear the rear brakes, and although the S and JCW
don't include a spare, the well in the bottom of the
boot is there, and I already had the spare from my old MINI.
I was shopping for a low mileage 2013 or 2014
and wasn’t finding anything suitable, when I came
upon a 2009 JCW R55 in GREAT shape with less than
30k miles and bought it despite its having an N14
engine.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 04:52 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Nice cars in this thread

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 07:10 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
I chose an R55 clubman to replace my 2003 R50
that got totaled recently because itís the smallest
lightest MINI that has both the more powerful engine
(S or JCW) AND room for a compact spare
(although for the JCW you need a wheel spacer, too
to clear the rear brakes, and although the S and JCW
don't include a spare, the well in the bottom of the
boot is there, and I already had the spare from my old MINI.
I was shopping for a low mileage 2013 or 2014
and wasnít finding anything suitable, when I came
upon a 2009 JCW R55 in GREAT shape with less than
30k miles and bought it despite its having an N14
engine.
the prince engine gets a bad rap from the internet as people only tend to rite something when its got a fault, then people not understanding the complex faults that tend to be more time s than not revolve around timing chains and not check oil levels enough,, we got 2 cooper s turbo cars in family both mapped over 200bhp both over 120.000 miles both on second timing chain kits and one replace cat and 02 sensors both still drive fine. add to the facts thies engines are used in so many cars i mean a lot you would think there would be a lot more bad rap on internet about them, this all said all car makers have faults over the years based on cars with 80k and above and people thinking a 100k car should be faultless, it dont work like that in real life,

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 08:37 PM
cristo

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
This is what I’m counting on.
The previous owner was the wife of the
owner of the shop that I use for MINI
repairs so I know it’s had good care, and
I am meticulous with oil levels, oil changes
(Each 5K with appropriate oil since it has a
turbo), and other maintenance.
That and a little bit of luck should get us
pretty far.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 03:41 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
This is what Iím counting on.
The previous owner was the wife of the
owner of the shop that I use for MINI
repairs so I know itís had good care, and
I am meticulous with oil levels, oil changes
(Each 5K with appropriate oil since it has a
turbo), and other maintenance.
That and a little bit of luck should get us
pretty far.
parts for them are fairly cheap, timing belt kit gates £70 water pump £25. dpf filter insert £120, oil filters £7 even oil is run of mill 5/30 fully synthetic i buy the trade sizes 20 litres at a time for £40-£50 a drum. compared to the later diesel bmw engine'd cars dpf filter £400 timing chain kit £400 plus £1000 to get it fitted,, think there will be many post on later diesels n47 dirived engines and timing chains and dpf problems very soon they are just coming to that age where i still say car makers design it all to fail at,
i've just ordered new rear brake pads and discs for it £40 off europarts just cant beat it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in