Paceman timing chain - MINI Cooper Forum

Welcome New Members New members, please introduce yourself here. Tell us a bit about you and your Mini.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Scudder
  • 1 Post By mike1967
  • 1 Post By mike1967

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Paceman timing chain

New to the group. I have a 2015 Cooper sd Paceman..lovely car ..However with 63k and full service the timing chain has gone.1664+vat to diagnose at main dealer..If just chain gone ( not likely ) 2200+ vat to repair. 2 major components and new engine...8-9k...I have sourced an engine with 11k for 1400 plus 650 to fit..Anyone else had the issues or luck pursuing BMW for compo ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 07:34 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Spain Male

Cannot help with details of successful claims. You are in the UK I guess (the vat thing) so I would contact Trading Standards and The Motor Ombudsman plus MINI UK. 4 years old and 63K miles is way below the expected life of an engine with full service history. Even out of warranty you have recourse for a failure of a major component (i.e. engine) for what is reasonably expected of a vehicle's life span. 100K miles at least especially as MINI does not include timing chain replacement on it's regular maintenance schedule that I know of.
Good luck.

knt likes this.

Cooper 2009, R57.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 11:50 PM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

As above, if it's been fully serviced from Mini, try contacting the dealer who dealt with your car to resolve the problems and they'll probably/hopefully ask Mini UK for some sort of "goodwill" gesture towards the repair costs on your behalf.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 06:42 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

good luck with making a claim off them dont think i have ever heard of anyone do it successively..
as for has anyone heard of this problem before search this BMW N47 TIMING CHAIN PROBLEMS internet is riddled with stuff about how poor and how a rip off how bmw refuse to face up to these failures,, BBC watch dog done a tv programme on it contacted bmw and bmw denied any problem and that it was on a hand full of cars that were not serviced by them or in correct way or driver abused blah blah everything but the truth,, ie still 13 years down the road these engines are still doing their party trick ie timing chains that are mounted on the rear of engine that doubles the repair bill in labour, a chain that is to thin to take the loads from twin camshaft with vanos and vvt and a high pressure fuel pump and balance shafts all add load,
i had someone on here the other day thinking of buying a n47 diesel mini that after doing that search decided to treat it like a dose of the clap,
most stupid or most clever design bmw ever made depending if your the owner or the garage fixing it i guess

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 06:51 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Garage
After all the problems, are there aftermarket chains that improve on the design? Stronger, more rows of links...something?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 07:49 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satansfist View Post
After all the problems, are there aftermarket chains that improve on the design? Stronger, more rows of links...something?
not that i'm a aware of below link is what i tend to use a lot as good as genuine might be a tad better but think its all down to the design the width and amount the tention'r pushes on it to keep the load on the sprocket that have high loads on the chain as such, the only way i think they could improve it is by wider chains and wider sprockets or fit duplex chains another way forward,
someone could get fairly rich if designed a harder chain and better bottom sprocket as this wears a lot
https://www.faiauto.com/parts/timing-chain-kits/
knt likes this.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 09:12 AM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

You're mike1967, I'm suprised that none of the performance aftermarket parts company have try doing uprated/upgraded parts for this. We can buy uprated/upgraded everything nowadays from parts that makes a difference to parts that don't really improve anything.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 04:28 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt View Post
You're mike1967, I'm suprised that none of the performance aftermarket parts company have try doing uprated/upgraded parts for this. We can buy uprated/upgraded everything nowadays from parts that makes a difference to parts that don't really improve anything.
yep i know its nuts you take the company's that do forged parts to make the prince engines stronger to add more power, but you would think these company's would fix the real weak or serviceable part the timing chain.
knt likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in