Hi! Future Mini owner here. Looking at a 2013 Countryman ALL4. Any input? - MINI Cooper Forum
Welcome New Members New members, please introduce yourself here. Tell us a bit about you and your Mini.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By okbro

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
potential future mini man

Local Time: 07:31 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Canada

Question Hi! Future Mini owner here. Looking at a 2013 Countryman ALL4. Any input?

Hey gang, I'm hoping to be a Mini owner soon - which will likely lead to all kinds of future activity on DIY and maintenance threads on here, etc.

I'm currently looking at purchasing a 2013 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4, and hoping some of you charitable & helpful folks here would be willing to help me do my due diligence on this vehicle's maintenance, cost of ownership, etc before I make a formal offer. It has a manual transmission, 95,000 km, and a new clutch was put in 6 months ago. I'm not sure if it's turbocharged, but I presume not. From preliminary reading there are a few engine types that could be in this model, and I'm not sure which it is. N18 maybe? I could probably get the owner to take a photo under the hood so I could know for sure. I understand each has its own common problems. I do know that it's a gas engine, and has used only premium gas apparently, and has all regular oil changes etc. It's from the original owner, and was originally a lease that they later bought out.

One of the main things I'm concerned about is that the vehicle apparently overheated and leaked coolant in November of 2017, and as a result apparently the thermostat housing and thermostat adapter were replaced. This leads me to be concerned about the engine block, seals etc though. Should I be excessively worried, to the point of steering clear? Or is this just par for the course, and not necessarily a big red flag? I should note the vehicle does have "ultimate" tier third party warranty coverage until Spring of 2020, so there's a little peace of mind there.

Are there any other things I should look into as far as maintenance is concerned? Or any specific things I should direct my mechanic to look at?

Thanks in advance! Hopefully I'm one of you guys soon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Countryman.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	228605  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Canada

Update - we bought it! 🙂

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7699549E-ACBB-4F89-A368-918676BFCC15_1561499168293.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	228741   Click image for larger version

Name:	8349385D-4C42-4CE1-9EEE-7ADF80E9D4EC_1561499182852.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	228743  
Jackdaniel likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 09:56 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Congrats and welcome!!

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaniel View Post
Congrats and welcome!!
Thanks! 🙂
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 06:51 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's turbocharged, but I presume not.
Nice looking car. If it's an "S" then it has a turbocharger.
Good luck with it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 08:28 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbro View Post
Update - we bought it! 🙂
yep thats a turbo motor just keep eye on engine oil they do eat it by design all part of owning a high performance car, never let it get under the full mark for to long as will damage things,
and listen for chain rattles or rubbing noises as around 60k they tend to need timing chain doing same on all the engines, 800 bill at garage but if dont catch it before it allows chain to jump teeth that will be a 2K bill bent valves,, or if snaps valve head off very rarely another engine,if you good with spanners can change them in a morning 200 is parts,

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
yep thats a turbo motor just keep eye on engine oil they do eat it by design all part of owning a high performance car, never let it get under the full mark for to long as will damage things,
and listen for chain rattles or rubbing noises as around 60k they tend to need timing chain doing same on all the engines, 800 bill at garage but if dont catch it before it allows chain to jump teeth that will be a 2K bill bent valves,, or if snaps valve head off very rarely another engine,if you good with spanners can change them in a morning 200 is parts,
Thanks! 60k miles or kilometers? And what needs to be done... a chain replacement? And is this only if I hear the rattles/rubbing, or does it just need to be done proactively at 60k? I haven't noticed any noises while driving, but I'll pop the hood while it's running and see if I hear anything concerning. I'm not sure if I have a well trained ear to detect something like that though. My mechanic did check things over last week though, so hopefully things are fine.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2019, 07:22 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbro View Post
Thanks! 60k miles or kilometers? And what needs to be done... a chain replacement? And is this only if I hear the rattles/rubbing, or does it just need to be done proactively at 60k? I haven't noticed any noises while driving, but I'll pop the hood while it's running and see if I hear anything concerning. I'm not sure if I have a well trained ear to detect something like that though. My mechanic did check things over last week though, so hopefully things are fine.
60.000 miles the chain stretches on them have seen cars with 24.000 miles with slipped chain, then i have seen cars with 100.000miles let go of chain the 100k ones are very rare most by 70-80k have damaged the cat and 02 sensors and ever over heated the piston rings and valve stems seals from running for so long with ignition timing being out for so long, i would say nearly all cars have checked round the 60k mark have had chains that were out of time,, this also has a bi product on turbo cars of coking up the inlet ports, as valves over lap and oil vapour form the pcv system mix and block inlet ports, this as a added effect of engine running rich and adds to hurting the ct and 02 sensors and increased fuel used. as for checking them, the correct way is to remove the tensioner and add a preload dummy tensioner in and measure the amount it screws in until tight then offer this up to the tensioner if no free movement between them then worn out chain, this all said safe way treat as a timing belt ie need replacing every 60k more so on early engines that had the shorter tensioners fitted, yours is a n18 engine so will have later tensioner but still use the same chain ie its the chain that stretches and revised tensioner dont stop it orm happening just means dont get any noises for longer,, which is a bad thing as running any engine for a long peroid of time with timing retarded will only hurt it more.

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in