MINI Cooper Forum banner

Which engine should i get?

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  mike1967 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, i am after some advice please.

I am looking to purchase a used mini countryman (2014/2015) as i have absolutely fallen in love with it. I have been told however, to look into the various engine specifications as i am not sure whether to get a petrol or diesel.

I have seen on 1.6L petrol which has the 1.6L L4 DOHC 16-valve engine.

Can you please advise me whether i should look at petrol or diesel and also if anyone has any experience with the petrol engine specified above? I dont want to invest with a car prone to problems.... help :-s

#2 ·
the cooper s n18 petrol would be my choice between the two options, as diesel n47 bmw engine around 70-100k will break your heart and bank balance, they all suffer from dpf problems and timing chain problems and dmf when you add all these together and the labour involved its a lot of money, timing chain if dont snap £2000 bill, if snaps 5k new engine and many have done, then there's the dpf filter that must be changed as part of service work every 75k £800 bill dual mass flywheel £1000-£1500 bill depending on parts used. if was a car with very low miles at right price and sell it again before 75k then yep nice to drive as diesels go. 10mpg better than the petrols driven correctly,
the petrol cooper s n18 engines 60-70k need timing chain £850 for garage to do it or if diy £200 in parts will cover it. also must think about what this stupid MPs are going to do next to be voted in and emissions etc holding a diesel car if they do what they are makes sounds of will make anything diesel unsellable at some point, where the euro 5 and newer petrols like the prince engines have won loads of awards n low emissions over the years so might dodge the bullet for a bit longer than diesels will,, if its got to be a diesel honestly buy a honda civic tourer they are so good never see them broken , seen many with 150k and over miles and just service work and send on way again, every bmw n47 i have see it would seem has had some very expensive issues

#4 ·
Powertrain
Engine 1.6 L I4 (One/Cooper)
1.6 L Prince turbocharged I4 (Cooper S)
1.6 L BMW N47 diesel I4 (Cooper D and One D)
2.0 L BMW N47 diesel I4 (Cooper D Automatic and Cooper SD models)

below link explains better than me,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Countryman

#7 ·
I recently bought an R56 cooper s with the N18 engine. Loving it. Have already replaced the timing chain for peace of mind.

Turns out it needes done anyway though as the tensioner fell apart whilst being replaced so worth checking if you buy one regardless of whether or not its making any funny noises

#8 ·
its funny how just seeing the engines on a different level changes them from hateful to really nice to own, ie treat the timing chain as you would of a older cam belt car 60k change it, running a engine out of time for a long amount of time really does cause most of the issues with rings and oil use and valve stem seals cat and 02 sensors, add always check oil every 300 miles tops keep on full mark with 8-10k changes and flush

#10 ·
they react to mapping really well especially the N18 engines as have twin vanos and vvt high lift valves to play with and a turbo that works very well on them, in the peugeot rcz the same engine it 269bhp standard and lives fairly well with good service and chains, even a 250bhp ish makes them pull so well. plus get more low down grunt where the mpg lives.

#12 ·
personally if it were my money i would keep the exhaust via the cat and 02 sensors as power factory fit new ones as 60-100k is their design life span done a bosch course on that, they both 02 sensors and cat should be treated at one part ie when any of them fail replace them all. could change the after the cat exhaust with louder free flow but the trouble with them is this the airbox will only handle so much flow anyway, and a good map on n18 will see a good 250bhp and thats a lot through the front wheels on any car let alone a mini. just just end up eating tyres and cant stop or steer around that power its really dangerous in the wet as well, the best maps are the ones that smooth the power band out get early power and no big hit that loose traction as such, by keeping the 02 sensor and cat you also protect the motor more from melt downs as the 02 sensor with detect a over fuel and cut in to limp mode to protect itself, a road car needs to be protected thats just my view and i'm sure someone will be along and who has deleted it all and say its great never gone bang,, my answer to that is time will tell

#14 ·
I wish I had a Mike close to me life would be much easier as I also in the same predicament over which engine but listening to Mike petrol S for me.::smile::
there are many good mechanics around honestly we all tick same way when it comes not to be beaten by something thats all, i stopped buying any bmw diesel with timing chain at rear of engine partly a protest to why change that from the m47 that engine was fairly good, the m50 was epic 2.5tds mine done well over 270k on same chain was mapped as well driven hard, i really do feel all EU car makers all read from same book of designing stuff in a way its causes max labour in the future and same old components that they all share it would seem.
i think the best diesel out there at present is honda 1.6 dtec and 2.2 dtec apart from the mercedes stuff which some of their engines do chains around 100k as well,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.