Removing tar and scratches from white wheels - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View ScottyBoy's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View ScottyBoy's MINI Features Album View ScottyBoy's Classified Ads

Have you tried a dedicated wheel cleaner yet? i use this stuff and its great

Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

if this doesnt work use a clay bar afterwards.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:19 AM
rec
<')))<

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

England Male View rec's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy230 View Post
Im confused now, caeser are you saying that you apply polish to the surface so that clay moves smoothly and correctly, or like rec says use a clay bar everytime you polish

Well TBH your wrong in either case.
i never said you use a claybar every time you polish, that's stupid.
i read caesar's post as if he was implying that the polish was the lubricant for the clay - hence my post.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack

United Kingdom Male View ScottyBoy's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View ScottyBoy's MINI Features Album View ScottyBoy's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec View Post
i never said you use a claybar every time you polish, that's stupid.
i read caesar's post as if he was implying that the polish was the lubricant for the clay - hence my post.
I didnt mean thats what you meant , i understand what i meant anyway

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
rec
<')))<

aaah, i just re-read what you said... sorry mate i thought you were implying that i was implying that you clay always before polish.

man, i really should screw my damn head on sometimes. what a prune i am :P

but yeah, we're both in agreement that caesar is wrong !

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec View Post
aaah, i just re-read what you said... sorry mate i thought you were implying that i was implying that you clay always before polish.

man, i really should screw my damn head on sometimes. what a prune i am :P

but yeah, we're both in agreement that caesar is wrong !
Thats it, you thought i was implying that you were implying that i said you were implying that meguiars imply that you use a polish as a lubricant

Dont take this to heart caeser, i just had to set things straight as these forums are open to anyone and the info needs to be correct.

Scotty
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:16 PM
rec
<')))<

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy230 View Post
Thats it, you thought i was implying that you were implying that i said you were implying that meguiars imply that you use a polish as a lubricant
or something...

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 03:30 PM

United Kingdom Male View caesar's Chili Red & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Thanks ScootyBoy230.

To clarify matters: -

a) The Meguirs Clay Bar is used in conjunction with their Quick Detailer for preparing neglected paintwork prior to polishing..... Note the term 'neglected'. My mistake, as I said with Polish!

b) As regards removing Tar from paintwork/wheels, then you could use a Clay Bar, but a tar remover solvent would be easier and quicker.

c) Personally I use Turtle Wax Bug/Tar Tissues for removing Tar (especiall on the wheels) and Clay Bar + Quick Detailer for marks on the paintwork.

d) If 'C' above does not solve the problem, then Turtle Wax 'Safe Cut' ........a very mild form of T-Cut.

As regards protecting the paintwork from new, then I find Meguiars Carnuba Wax excellent, and it lasts for months.

The main problem I find when polishing the MCS, is that it get's on the black vinyl trim of the wheel arches and sills and is difficult to remove. Peanut butter will remove it, but I also tried Meguiars 'Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant'. This really enhances the appearance, but you need to use 2-coats and let it set before driving in heavy rain!
Thanks for this post from:
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar View Post
Thanks ScootyBoy230.

To clarify matters: -

a) The Meguirs Clay Bar is used in conjunction with their Quick Detailer for preparing neglected paintwork prior to polishing..... Note the term 'neglected'. My mistake, as I said with Polish!

b) As regards removing Tar from paintwork/wheels, then you could use a Clay Bar, but a tar remover solvent would be easier and quicker.

c) Personally I use Turtle Wax Bug/Tar Tissues for removing Tar (especiall on the wheels) and Clay Bar + Quick Detailer for marks on the paintwork.

d) If 'C' above does not solve the problem, then Turtle Wax 'Safe Cut' ........a very mild form of T-Cut.

As regards protecting the paintwork from new, then I find Meguiars Carnuba Wax excellent, and it lasts for months.

The main problem I find when polishing the MCS, is that it get's on the black vinyl trim of the wheel arches and sills and is difficult to remove. Peanut butter will remove it, but I also tried Meguiars 'Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant'. This really enhances the appearance, but you need to use 2-coats and let it set before driving in heavy rain!
Glad we got that cleared up ....

So now "a" is very true

EDIT
B, True but it is a matter of opinion and severity of the tar, mild tar spots maybe but if the wheels are truely baked then id agree to dissagree. TBH ive left my wheels for a while before and Megs all wheel cleaner is good enough with a bit of elbow grease.

C, TBH, id never buy a product in the turtle wax range as i dont rate it at all anymore, from the hours of reading and the range of products i have, and the reading of profesional's write ups etc id mainly only have mail order products. apart from megs stuff and some autoglym from halfrauds.

But thats a matter of opinion
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack

Ohh and the black moulding is a pain, if you end up spending more than an hour on your car then id suggest masking it off with blue decor masking tape once you have got it in a good clean condition then theres no chance of white staining.

Lol, i say that ^^^^ but at the mo my arches are white not black
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2010, 12:40 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:30 PM

Thailand

tar stains and their solution

hello car lovers

since i was on a newly made highway a while ago got me a shitload of tardrops on my carbody and alot more on the wheels

after googling this problem i found that a petroleum based cleaner is a good solution
however when you live on a tiny island called kohphangan in thailand most products are simply not for sale
alternative is kerosine very easy to get here !

i know in the rest of the more civilised world you can not buy this easily like me in a vegatable shop but i know that basic lampoil is practilly the same

and guys and girls i tried this allready and it works very very well in seconds it was gone on my wheels and car body the same whit funny dried in drops from some funky three i used to park under

and so far no dammage on the paint but after cleaning get rid of the remains with water and soap
also becarrefull not to get it on the tires

many greets to all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in