Removing tar and scratches from white wheels - MINI Cooper Forum

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Addicted to MINI...

Local Time: 03:06 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Scotland Male View jamesbeaumont's White Silver & Chili Red 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile View jamesbeaumont's Classified Ads

Garage
Send a message via MSN to jamesbeaumont
Removing tar and scratches from white wheels

Hi guys, I was was wondering if anyone with white powder coated alloys knows of an effective way of removing tar? i have lots of little black dots, especially in the corners of the alloys that wont budge even with tar remover. On the occasion a bit will come loose when aggitated but scratches the surface I had a special brush for cleaning alloys and this has caused lots of scratches too it went in the bin, but i have a feeling im going to be told of by lots of people for using it! I guess i might just have to get them refurbished!

James.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

why don't you try claying them using meguiar clay bar. This is supposed to remove contaminents on paint without scratching.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:46 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 04:06 PM

United Kingdom Male View caesar's Chili Red & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Had a similar problem with my 17" Crown Spoke Alloys, thought they were scratched, but it was tar. Bought some Turtle Wax bug/tar wipes and the marks came off with gentle rubbing.

Might be OK with your wheels?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View ScottyBoy's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View ScottyBoy's MINI Features Album View ScottyBoy's Classified Ads

If there really bad.

1, get a decent dedicated wheel cleaner, give a wheel at a time a good soak leave for a minute, then agigtate with a brush or cloth. Rinse.
2,use a clay bar as mentioned, spray the lubricant on the wheel and then use the clay as described n the wheels.
3 if needed use the wheel cleaner again.

That should bring them up good as new and save you 50 per wheel on a refurb.

To keep them looking good, wash them regulary and give them a coat of wax which will make them easier to wash each time.

Scott
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 06:28 PM
MINI2 Senior

Scotland Male View FergusM's Dark Silver & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Mate has been used WD40 to remove tar spots... might be worth a try ?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:17 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male View caesar's Chili Red & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

To remove tar you need to apply a solvent rather than by abrasion, otherwise you will damage the surface you are cleaning.

A claybar used in conjunction with polish is for the removal of contaminants on the paintwork i.e. dead insects and road film. It's not for tar removal !!!

To successfully remove tar you need to use a suitable solvent designed for this purpose, especially with alloy wheels otherwise you will damage the lacquer surface.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack

United Kingdom Male View ScottyBoy's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View ScottyBoy's MINI Features Album View ScottyBoy's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar View Post
To remove tar you need to apply a solvent rather than by abrasion, otherwise you will damage the surface you are cleaning.

A claybar used in conjunction with polish is for the removal of contaminants on the paintwork i.e. dead insects and road film. It's not for tar removal !!!

To successfully remove tar you need to use a suitable solvent designed for this purpose, especially with alloy wheels otherwise you will damage the lacquer surface.
I agree with you in saying a tar remover will do the job but if you are saying that claying you wheels will damage them and will not do the job then you are wrong.......

What are wheels, white wheels covered in...? Paint.... what is tar? A bonded contaminent, Whats a clay bar designed for?....... Removing Bonded contaminents. Doing this WILL NOT Damage the laquer surface and is OK to use on wheels.

A clay bar comes in different grades of Aggressiveness, Meguiars is a low down on the chart of Aggressivenes.

A clay bar can be used on paintwork, wheels, glass and it will make them feel smooth as glass when done, tar does not just apear on wheels this apears on paintwork also, and in my detailing routine i dont use a tar remover as the Clay bar does the job, i.e remove Bonded contaminents which is what tar is.

Road film and dead insects are Fresh contaminents and these will be rid of with a good wash technique. Bonded contaminents are Industrial fallout, Tree sap, Baked on brake dust, and these require a clay bar to remove them.

So, Claying will not Damage your wheels,after this i do recommend giving them a polish and a wax to protect them as a clay bar removes any type of protection there is on the wheel or paintwork.

Hope that helps

Scott
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack

Quote:
A claybar used in conjunction with polish.
Im sorry to say wrong again, .

A clay bar and polish are not used in conjunction, they are used after one another,

Clay bar = Remove bonded contaminients

Polish = Abrade the surface flat to remove imperfections such as swirls, marrying and scratches.

A clay bar and lubricant are used in conjunction
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:10 PM
MINI2 Master

Beg to differ, a Clay Bar is used in conjunction with a polish....otherwise it will not move smoothly over the surface. I use Meguiars products and that's what they recommend and it works OK.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:16 PM
rec
<')))<

England Male View rec's Classified Ads

caesar, you're wrong i'm afraid

Meg's dont recommend claying before every polish - if you do that you're seriously misguided i'm afraid.

both myself and Scotty are kinda beyond Meg's products now :P

Thanks for this post from:
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:17 PM
rec
<')))<

England Male View rec's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec View Post

Meg's dont recommend claying before every polish - if you do that you're seriously misguided i'm afraid.

just read what you put... you dont use polish to make the claybar glide over the paintwork what you're thinking of is Meg's Quik Detailer, which is by no means a polish.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack

Quote:
Beg to differ, a Clay Bar is used in conjunction with a polish....otherwise it will not move smoothly over the surface. I use Meguiars products and that's what they recommend and it works OK.
How do you work that out?

A Meguiars clay bar is suppiled with a lubricant not a polish at all.

I doubt at all and i disagree 100% that they do not recomment that.

Like i said Polish is an abrasive which flattens the surface to remove surface imperfections.

A clay bar removes bonded contaminents to "Prepare" the surface for polishing, glazing, sealing and finally waxing!

I doubt in my 12hour details i do to mine and other peoples cars im going wrong, if i am then i need to no were.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec View Post

Im confused now, caeser are you saying that you apply polish to the surface so that clay moves smoothly and correctly, or like rec says use a clay bar everytime you polish

Well TBH your wrong in either case.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:51 PM
MINI2 Regular

England Male

Quote:
Clay bar with lubricant, then polish.
Thanks for this post from:
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Addicted to MINI...

Scotland Male View jamesbeaumont's White Silver & Chili Red 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile View jamesbeaumont's Classified Ads

Garage
Send a message via MSN to jamesbeaumont
Wow thanks guys, I went to Halfrauds and asked the guy what he suggested, he said white polish and a chapstick...honestly it doesnt work! The tar is slowly coming off with tar and bug remover but are you saying all I need is a clay bar to treat the tar and scratches?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in