MINI Cooper Forum banner

difference between OEM and aftermarket R99's??

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  R99 
#1 ·
I've got the chance of buying a set of anthracite double spoke wheels. The seller says they were supplied as an extra on an MCS, but how can I tell if they are proper Mini OEM ones? I don't want to be paying over the odds for a set of replica's.

#2 ·
I have never seen a set of replica R99's for sale, they seem to be one of the few wheels that nobody has had a go at. I could be wrong though.

As far as telling if they are genuine are not goes. Here's a tip.

Check the back of the wheels. They should have the BBS logo (they make them for MINI) and also the word MINI stamped on the rear of the spokes. They also have part numbers stamped on them.

At least mine do, and I know they are Genuine. ;)

Hope this helps.

James.

#5 ·
Well you learn something new everyday. Thanks for that link. :)

Ok, well looks wise, without comparing a genuine R99 next to it, I would say they are a good copy, and look pretty much exactly like mine. (well except mine are the polished variant) ;)

If you still have the opportunity to go for the genuine anthracites, and they are reasonably priced, then I would recommend you buy those. Because, as mentioned previously, the replicas will be an inferior material. BBS are renown for their quality, hence the reason why MINI are using them to make their wheels.

If not, then those replicas might be a cheap buy, and will no doubt look good. Just be wary about salt on the roads corroding them.

James.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.