Ultralite Spec Wheels - 17" or 18? - MINI Cooper Forum

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Chiu's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Ultralite Spec Wheels - 17" or 18?

Hi guys,

I'm still trying to decide on a set of new wheels. I've got a R53 MCS (54 plate) with standard suspension but I've having it lowered by about 20mm using Eibach Pro Kit springs this week. I'm currently on the standard 16" 5 spoke star-shaped wheels (not sure about the model and tyre sizes sorry - car is at the garage until Monday).

I'm thinking of going for these Ultralite Spec ones in Gun Metallic colour: Ultralite Wheels

Trying to decide between either:

A) Size: 17"X7", Offset: 42, PCD: 100+108 X 4
B) Size: 18"X7.5", Offset 42, PCD: 100+114.3 X 4

I take it I'll need the 100x4 size?

I've attached a pic of thse wheels fitted to a MINI. I can't quite work out what size they are though. Looks like it says R18 but can't be sure. Don't suppose anyone else can make it out?

Click image for larger version

Name:	UltraliteSpec.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	148294

Anyway, my main concerns are:

1) Am I likely to get any rubbing with the 18"x7.5" size wheels and the Eiback Pro Kit springs?
2) Are the 17" ones generally a better choice for performance and handling?
3) Would I be able to fit a big brake kit (e.g. AP Racing) behind either the 17" or 18" wheels?

The pic shows the JCW brakes fitted so maybe I'll go for these instead to ensure they fit. The car is intended for road use only so maybe the BBK is overkill.

Cheers,

Chiu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
THE STICK

Local Time: 02:56 AM

United Kingdom Male View Richard Crofts's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Richard Crofts's Classified Ads

Yes you will probably get some rubbing on 18s by 7.5 if you fit 215 or 225 tyres to protect the lips of the alloy. But usually only when you have rear passengers...the fronts dont tend to rub IMO unless you run a wacky offset.

17s are better for weight, braking and acceleration...they are also better in terms of handling as a rule.

Looking at the spoke settings and the offset I'd say maybe. A small BBK like an AP will go with 42 et. I should think that for a GTT porsche or something really big like that such as the stoptechs you'll need an ET in the 30 somethings still. but I think 37 or similar would probably clear most BBKs

For road use the JCWs are fine... a BBK on the road is nice, but not that useful condisering they are upwards of 1000k and the Works is only 500 and offeres you 80-90% of what a BBK does on the road. Once you go to the track then the JCWs start to show a big difference with prolonged use when compared to a BBK.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Male View Chiu's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Cheers for the advice Think I'll be going for the 17x7 set and JCW brakes, that combination currently makes the most sense.

Guess it's just a question of tyres now.

The 215/40 and 215/45 sizes both seem popular, what are the main pros and cons with either of these?

I guess most people go for these rather than the 205 width ones for the extra bit of grip? Again I'm slightly concerned that I might get rubbing with the 215 width but guess I'll be OK with the 17" alloys?

Cheers!

Chiu

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
THE STICK

United Kingdom Male View Richard Crofts's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Richard Crofts's Classified Ads

I run 17x7 wheels on both 215/40 and 215/45 (I had KW -35mm springs, and now run Coilovers set to close on that level if not lower). I ran ET45 but know folks first hand, and am about to swap myself to ET38 (I am going to be using my car more and more on the track so i'll be upgrading to BBK from my JCWs)

I used to get slight rubbing on the rears if the car had 2 in the back when I was on KWs with 215/45, but only if I went over a sudden pothole or upwards bump in the road and the susp travelled to its max... Howewver this could have been due to my knackered shocks allowing the spring to travel too much. Also I removed the little clip on plastic trim things attached to the rear arch and once I did this I never heard it rub again. When I ran the 215/40s I never noticed any rubbing even when the car was loaded. Now on the coilovers I run 215/45 and get no rubbing even with a fully loaded car 4 up. I know that the folks on ET38 get very slight rubbing if fully loaded on thier eibach and KW cars... but only when the suspension travels to it max downward movement.... most of the time its fine when fully loaded.

Basically the difference is simple. 215/45 gives slightly more comfort but with a minimal difference to rollover in very heavy load corners. 215/40 is a little bit harsher (not that much) but it is ever so slightly better at not rolling onto the sidewall under extreme load....however on the road I have never really noticed the difference in rollover, but you defo notice the ride comfort difference.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Minispeed had these on there car for a while?

I like the ATEC. 16" x 7" ET40

[B]MINI Cooper S R53[/B]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Male View obz_210's Classified Ads

Here's a pic of my car with the 18's.

They were fitted by Minispeed along with the AP brake before I bought it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n577342282_915644_2097.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	148345   Click image for larger version

Name:	n577342282_915641_1133.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	148346   Click image for larger version

Name:	n577342282_894556_9089.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	148347  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Nice write-up Richard, thanks again for your input

Got the MINI back today with the suspension now lowered by 20mm using Eibach Pro springs. It seems to be sitting quite comfortably on the current 16" wheels and I don't think I would want it lowered any more in future (way too many speed bumps around these days!).

Current setup is 195/55/R16. I've played around with a tyre calculator and it shows that changing to 215/45/R17 wheels will only result in a 0.64% (4mm) increase in diameter. So looks like I'm not going to be any worse off than I currently am.

I'm not sure what the offset is on my 16" wheels but believe it's 45. The Ultralite Spec alloys have an offset of 42 so I take it that this will push the wheels out slightly.

Cheers for the pics Obz How are you finding those wheels? Any ideas what the weight of them are and do you have spacers fitted?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by obz_210 View Post
Here's a pic of my car with the 18's.

They were fitted by Minispeed along with the AP brake before I bought it.
Love that Mini with Specs

Do you recon Brembos will fit Specs?.

Japshop could be the way to go for me as the tyres are cheap?

[B]MINI Cooper S R53[/B]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:47 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Male View obz_210's Classified Ads

Chui,

It's my first Mini so not really got much to compare with to be honest. Not had them off yet so can't really comment on weights either - not much use am I

The front do have spacers fitted, I can tell you that. They are there so the wheels clear the AP four pots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in