• 1 Post By mike1967

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:10 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

poor braking at speed

Hi my daughter has a 2007 r56 mini cooper D when driving round town and braking normally the brakes seem to work fine but if you stamp on them to stop quickly the peddle goes soild and the is little braking.
I've checked the disks and pads all good changed the brake fluid.
now im out of ideas any help would be appreiated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2018, 06:43 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 12:10 PM
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View JohnnyC's Classified Ads

EBC Greenstuff pads?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2018, 11:29 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

Try putting EBC Multimax pads in the fronts. Not the green, red, blah ones, their OE equivalents. V cheap and work much better than the standrad dealers tend to fit. Mine were Girling and think they were their "Welsh Granite" option which will last 100k miles ........ expect the car won't because you'll have hit something long before you get there.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2018, 04:36 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kertrats View Post
Hi my daughter has a 2007 r56 mini cooper D when driving round town and braking normally the brakes seem to work fine but if you stamp on them to stop quickly the peddle goes soild and the is little braking.
I've checked the disks and pads all good changed the brake fluid.
now im out of ideas any help would be appreiated.
i've seen car with really old brake pads as owners have only driven around town slow speeds and the discs glaze and the pads get harder with each hot cold cycle over years of not really being used, or the brake servo has given up,,
test it by engine off pump brake pedal until goes hard,,, then push the pedal as hard as can then start the car, the brake pedal should then go in to a softer state of play and moves downwards no more than half way travel.
also the brake fluid should be changed every 4 years very max as water builds up in it and then it boils when brakes used hard and causes fade,
brake discs really need replacing every 60k tops lower on beaten hard cars the ridges causes more travel needed to work as such, europarts do some really good deals at moment done a clubman cooper d a few weeks ago rear disc and pads 38 for ericher branded, when stamp on brakes the abs will cut is and will always feel like not doing its job as you have surprised it to kick in, try some pressure then add hard pressure see if that makes a difference, i just sold my clubby and the brakes would suck your eye balls out just before the abs kick in point

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
Thanks for this post from:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi thanks for your help ive already checked the disks and pads they look good and i replaced the fluid.
I suspected the servo or vacuum pump but the peddle acts as it should and the one way valve on the vac tube seems to be working.
im thinking it could be somthing to do with the ABS system as the pedal goes hard but there no pulsing you tend to get with the abs..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2018, 09:20 PM
MINI2 Senior

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View ExclusiveWorkshops's Classified Ads

Garage
you say checked discs and pads, have you had the pads out or are you just looking?

Reason for asking is it's well worth checking the calipers slide freely and the pads are also completely free to move in the housing. If not they will perhaps struggle to operate, hitting a 'stop' causing your symptom where they deal ok with light town slowing but will resist a hard pedal effort and quick stop.

Also check the handbrake linkage extends when released, to the lever stop on the caliper, if it doesn't the caliper won't adjust and the parking brake effort reduces too, you can test if the effort has deteriorated, in a fashion, by rolling the car backwards and applying the parking brake, and both sides of the car should rise at the same rate, if only one does then the other has a problem, yes it works forward but dips instead, and to a lesser extent as it's fighting against the spring.

OEM pads for this are cheap enough if you ask for value line, otherwise factor stuff is ok but I avoid ebc anything as it's generally *****, certainly if performance is expected without cracking pads or lumps falling out of them, and general shiteness if that was a real word haha. A lot of bikers know they're ***** too. So, maybe distinctly average at best ;O)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2018, 07:30 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kertrats View Post
Hi thanks for your help ive already checked the disks and pads they look good and i replaced the fluid.
I suspected the servo or vacuum pump but the peddle acts as it should and the one way valve on the vac tube seems to be working.
im thinking it could be somthing to do with the ABS system as the pedal goes hard but there no pulsing you tend to get with the abs..
its common abs pump to corrode inside find secondhand one ie same year and same model car cheap enough on abay
NigelK likes this.

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2018, 11:50 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

ABS pump - sounds a good call. All those other things, discs, pads, fluid would make the pedal soft, not hard as a rock.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2019, 08:02 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Don't buy EBC stuff. Overpriced and Overrated. You can get way better performance through upgraded slotted discs and street plus pads. Look into SP performance, they usually have free shipping nationwide if you order a full kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in