2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jackdaniel

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Replacing Run Flats - Is the spec the same?

The front tyres need replacing on my 2016 Cooper Clubman S. They are currently run flats and I wondered if I replace them with non run flats, will the ride be a bit smoother (I find it a bit too firm on the country lanes on my daily commute).

If I can do that, do I just replace with the same spec (225/40/R18/Y92) but non run flat, and should I do all 4 tyres?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2019, 04:48 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzaBT View Post
The front tyres need replacing on my 2016 Cooper Clubman S. They are currently run flats and I wondered if I replace them with non run flats, will the ride be a bit smoother (I find it a bit too firm on the country lanes on my daily commute).

If I can do that, do I just replace with the same spec (225/40/R18/Y92) but non run flat, and should I do all 4 tyres?

Thanks!
you will never regret changing to normal tyres its changes it all in a good way

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2019, 12:18 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

Same size/spec as the run-flats. Would be best to go all four, but you can run with front normal and rears run-flat. And as Mike says, you won't regret it. The difference in ride/comfort is quite significant.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 04:40 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Czech Republic

I have a question, I currently have 225 45 R18s with run flats on my Countryman ALL4 Cooper S, and I want a smoother (less bumpy) ride too - I will change them for non-run flats, but would it not be more suitable to go for a higher profile tyre? Such as 225 55 R18s?

Thoughts?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 03:18 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyW1967 View Post
I have a question, I currently have 225 45 R18s with run flats on my Countryman ALL4 Cooper S, and I want a smoother (less bumpy) ride too - I will change them for non-run flats, but would it not be more suitable to go for a higher profile tyre? Such as 225 55 R18s?

Thoughts?
I want to know this too

**Live for today, tomorrow never comes**
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 03:23 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Czech Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudders View Post
I want to know this too
Unfortunately, as I found out, the wheel arch can't take anything bigger than the 45 R18, it would rub in the wheel arch.... the only way to increase the amount of tyre would be to fit 17" wheels - that would allow a tyre with more profile, but as I am not replacing my wheels, I didn't investigate....
Thanks for this post from:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 03:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Anyone have a clue of the biggest profile tyre a 17' wheel can take, without rubbing the wheel arches?

**Live for today, tomorrow never comes**
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 04:22 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudders View Post
Anyone have a clue of the biggest profile tyre a 17' wheel can take, without rubbing the wheel arches?
based on the comment before yours where guy says his max profile was 45 or a 18 inch rim, should be same as yours if you had a 18 inch rim, but because as you have small rim by 1 inch, i would guess something like a 60 profile would be max. this said if changing out runflats you should replicate the tyres size from your run flats ie same sizes but non run flat,, i know what you might be thinking ie more rubber better ride that's sort of true but not that important on the mini when getting rid or solid run flats, what you will find is car will behave no tram line banging terrible ride it will all go away and just become a nice car to drive, and the bonus ball the non run flats are cheaper and better fuel uses,

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 05:58 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 09:06 PM

United Kingdom Male View Mid Life Mini's Classified Ads

Think I must’ve the only person who actually wants run flats!!! I have been disappointed 3 times now when getting my MINI’s that none of them came with run flats. I drove a friends MINI down to the south of France a few years ago, that had run flats and I loved the harshness of it, gave it more of that go cart feel .
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 06:38 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid Life Mini View Post
Think I mustíve the only person who actually wants run flats!!! I have been disappointed 3 times now when getting my MINIís that none of them came with run flats. I drove a friends MINI down to the south of France a few years ago, that had run flats and I loved the harshness of it, gave it more of that go cart feel .
I know what you mean but on British country lanes gets a bit tiring haha

Mid Life Mini and mike1967 like this.

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in