LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Czech Republic

Lightbulb R17s as standard, or R18s?

Hi All, I have just bought a Countryman ALL4 Cooper S, 2010 model, and I noticed that it has 225 45 R18s fitted.

I'm not a wheel or tyre buff, so can anyone help me understand why R18s are chosen over the standard R17s?

The tyres fitted are run flats, and they are near to their service life, and I was contemplating changing them for non-run flats, but as part of my prior research, I had chosen Goodyear EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC Tyres (non-run flat), due to the harsh ride.... that was before I saw that it had R18s fitted.

Any suggestions to what non-run flat tyres I should select, for the R18 wheel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 03:22 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyW1967 View Post
Hi All, I have just bought a Countryman ALL4 Cooper S, 2010 model, and I noticed that it has 225 45 R18s fitted.

I'm not a wheel or tyre buff, so can anyone help me understand why R18s are chosen over the standard R17s?

The tyres fitted are run flats, and they are near to their service life, and I was contemplating changing them for non-run flats, but as part of my prior research, I had chosen Goodyear EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC Tyres (non-run flat), due to the harsh ride.... that was before I saw that it had R18s fitted.

Any suggestions to what non-run flat tyres I should select, for the R18 wheel?
I changed the run-flats on my Cooper S convertible and fitted Eagle F1's. Excellent tyre and was the best thing i could have done to improve the ride.

I now have a Paceman SD and have the same dilemma as you. 17's are far cheaper than 18's though

**Live for today, tomorrow never comes**
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Czech Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudders View Post
I changed the run-flats on my Cooper S convertible and fitted Eagle F1's. Excellent tyre and was the best thing i could have done to improve the ride.

I now have a Paceman SD and have the same dilemma as you. 17's are far cheaper than 18's though
Yes, as I mentioned in the other post, I'm not forking out more money for smaller wheels, and I've already bought new non-run flat tyres for the 18" wheels (Barum Bravuris - over here in CZ, they have good feedback).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 03:28 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Is there much of a difference in the ride quality?

**Live for today, tomorrow never comes**
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Czech Republic

Dunno, haven't got the car back from service yet, having to register it here in Prague as it was an import from Germany.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Czech Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudders View Post
Is there much of a difference in the ride quality?
FYI, I'm actually happy with the ride quality, now that I understand that the Cooper S suspension isn't as soft as other cars, but I'm still struggling to find out what the proper tyre pressures should be, as I need to narrow down a skitterish back end to either rear tyre pressure or wheel alignment....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in