R53 Brakes > MTEC Good, bad or ugly? - MINI Cooper Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

R53 Brakes > MTEC Good, bad or ugly?

I need to do a full disc/pad replacement on my wife's R53 Cooper S.

Now i know MTEC are cheaply made, but my wife only does maybe 5000 miles like miss daisy a year at most and doesn't drive it hard, but then i occasionally get behind the wheel......................

Searching other forums and MTEC either get a really good or bad review? Is it justified or written by idiots?

So has anyone used MTEC and what are your views and basically if i paired them up with decent pads, do you think i'd get away with it?

(I'm looking at the "C hooks" by the way as i don't like drilled and grooved (Cracking) and they are copying the Porsche and AP J hooks idea so it can't be all bad).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 07:42 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

United Kingdom

The pattern makes no difference if the disk and pads are poor quality, still they’ll look the part.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

So your factual opinion of MTEC is????????

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 08:51 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Not on my mini, but I've got a set of MTEC cross drilled discs on my 2008 Z4. No special pads or anything and I've had no problems with them. I stayed away from the grooved discs because I'd heard they generated extra noise,but that might just be internet waffle.

If you order them, make sure you remember to order the protective coating as this will keep the centre of the hubs from premature rusting. I seem to remember their website is not that well designed and it's easy to miss ticking the box for the coating. When the discs arrive, they wil be completely coated, but this gets removed from the swept area of the disc after a few miles.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2019, 07:04 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'm very doubt you would be able to get them to the crack unless you are doing some serious spirited driving people give cross drilled and slotted bad rep just because they are so cheap there mainly cheap because of the lack of material they have on them according to my dad who's the director of operations in a manufacturing facility.
Anytime I went from standard brakes to cross drilled and slotted with ceramic pads it's always been a huge upgrade and I do quarter-mile track racing and I've never cracked or overheated as site yet I love them I put them on my wife's daily driving Vehicles even
I would put them on my mini right now but when I got it it has brand new Brembo rotors and ceramic pads so I'll wait till those wear out and then I'll throw in a set of eBay cross stitch world because I've had great luck with those eBay ones but powerstop are my favorite
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2019, 07:42 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoncocker View Post
So your factual opinion of MTEC is????????
Work it out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in