MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There`s a lot of talk of hk and stereo upgrades on here to read and most of it is very interesting, however i do have an hk system but have eventually decided to rip it out and replace it with an Alpine setup!

Im not a boy racer, however i do like my bass but i want a system that sounds beautifully crisp on all levels, somwas thinkning about 16.5 comps in the front and back, 4 channel amp for them and then stick a 10 and 8 inch sub in the boot with another amp....all Alpine i reckon but open to suggestions!

I wana keep it simple but would love to see some installation progress pictures to se how it all looks etc, ill porbably get installed proffessionally but would like to do some research on it before i buy!

Any suggestions guys??!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, well im debating what exactly to do in regards to having a fancy install as such or weather just to shove it in a box etc! i think i deally id want some thing that sounds really crisp, i hate that really low bass that sounds like a wet fart so thought an 8 and 10 would be the way to go......pictures if anyones got em....cheers!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Why all Alpine?
each to their own but every manufacturer does some things better than others

Alpine - HU's / Amps
Genesis - Amps / Components
JL - Amps / Subs
Rockford - Components / Subs

etc etc

If it were me I'd get Alpine HU, Good Amp, Quality 6 1/2 Components (genesis / Hertz) and a Quality 8"Sub (JL 8W7 is the stuff wet dreams are made of)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't commit yourself to one particular brand as invariably a particular brands line doesn't always compliment one another sound wise, as I've found out. Also don't be afraid to look in to a more budget range for particular items eg sub. For example the JBL GT5 rocks in at about £45 and is more than capable of taking double the RMS its officially rated at, and produces a fantastic, tight rumble. Alpine is good brand for certain things such as their SWR range of subs, but they can be a little bulky especially for a mini boot.
How much of a bass junkie are you, or are you after SQ as well? If its pure deep, powerful bass I wouldn't recommend anything other than RE subs but they will cost you and may be a little excessive for your needs.
I'm sure you don't need to be told that the SQ you get is only as good as the hedunit that drives it, and this is where alpine really excell. The Alpine iDA -X100 is a fantatsic headunit and will really provide the quality you need for the center of this install.
Components wise, SPL Dynamics component speakers are competition grade comps at unbelieveable prices, and won't dissappoint!!
Dynamat is essential for this sort of install, and I would also recommend fabricating some speaker pods to punch up your mid bass from the woofers in the door.
Thats just a start but I'll be keeping my eyes out for pictures and posts of what you go for.
Anything else just ask...
Good luck

·
><((((º>`·. ¸¸. ·><((((º>
86 Posts
So what sort of system is recommended for punchy bass, the kind you feel deep in your chest! crisp lyrics and treble and well deep bass is most important......a head unit with Ipod compat....I mean thumping bass...

Anyone out there got this, lets see some pic's..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jak i know what you mean about the dors neading pumping up, at midrange with `driver` on the hk system sounds great but go any higher......start to hear the paper cones mufle the bass and the sub for that matter!! What do you mean fbricating the dor pods? you mean to fit a larger speaker in there...? or get some one to fabricate a door skin with room for 2 woofers in there.....now theres a good idea! wonder how much tho....??
i was looking at that alpine head unit u recommended but dont know its 4v outputs...? would probs want some with either 4 or 6......as id be amping both sets of speakers and subs etc
On the topic od dynamat ive had the doors done by a car audio place in camberley and that helps the midrange but they said it would cost so much to do the boot as they would ahve to spend time taking the rear panels etc out! Might as well do it myself then!
Has anyone got pictures of there inerior stripped out and dynamatted just to give me some clue as to what extent i should go on it..?
Keep the pictures coming everyone and anyone!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and another thing, the k systems has an 8inch sub right....? surely you could take it out and stick an aftermarket one in and amp it etc as its hidden then put a ten in the boot......?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Are you sure you need rear speakers? Spending the same money on a 2 channel amp and one, more expensive, set of components will give better results. That will also make it easier to control the imaging. 16.5cm components wil go surprisingly low so you really need to go for a 10" sub, There isn't a lot of space in the boot so the sub box will probably end up being small like mine. Make sure the sub you go for will work well in a small box, not many do. I'd recommend Alpine for head units and to a lesser extent components. Consider people like Genesis for amps, JL for subs, Focal for components. As others have mentioned allow for plenty of your budget on sound deadening materials as even expensive stereos sound rubbish when panels are vibrating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As quoted above rear speakers combined with a sub, although not in the standard place you would expect to find 6x9's, you will still find the sound stages from the two clashing, and won't produce a true sound. As Steve has said, a 2 channel to drive comps and bridged to drive the sub will probably produce better results and save you some serious money and time. Speaker pod's can be made out of MDF or birch ply and will act like the after market plastic speaker adaptors you get from halfrauds, but with much better results. They keep your mid range solid and with dynamat right behind you'll be smiling every time the volume goes up!
The boot/tailgate is an essential area for dynmatting as it produces some of the most hideous rattles and seeing as its right next to your sub will be very annoying. As aussie11 has done would be ample!
Are you going to be making your own box/amp rack? Sub selection will need thought as it needs to be able to work in a small box. You after ported or sealed?
If woodowork isn't your thing, try mike at the bass factory, he's a top fabricator and will work to spec and deliver at very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i probably wont be making my own boes etc on this occasion as i want to have it perfect with no ratles, and id be looking at a sealed enclosure i guess for a tighet bass but choice of sub etc will need some serious thinking....along with the components.....and amps.....hahaha seems like focals are the way to go....? and whats the bass factory??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bass factory is a small fabrication business located up north (Wolverhampton I believe) and Mike who runs the show will build you enclosures/amp racks to your spec, carpet them and deliver for peanuts. He did a 28L sealed enclosure and an amp rack, carpeted in black and delivered to me for £55 and it was perfect. If you give him your sub spec he'll know what to do from there. I'll see if i can dig the contact info out for you tonite as its a darn sight better going down this route than buying a bog standard box from halfords. Might be worth joing talkaudio.com as well as these guys live, breath and eat car audio.
As for focals I'd recommend the Berilliums, but there not cheap iirc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts