MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master of the Lost Boys
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I quids in?????

payed my £500 deposit over the phone in June and picked up wifes car in September and payed the balance in cash/&px the car at a ridiculous knocked down price. Dealer has now rung and said that i owe them £500 as the deposit hasn't actaually been taken. Although the sale docket had the deposit deducted. They want me to check thru my bank statements and check. As ive had the car for 4 months can i say' tough' thats your problem if you havn't taken the money." Or am I legally obliged to pay up if in fact they havn't debited the ammount.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
i think they'd persue it if you didn't pay. i just had a similar thing with my new car order. basically the sales person gve me a £100 discount but when they sent the new order invoice they had deducted £300. when i rang to change some options they spotted the 'mistake' & re-added £200 to the bill. now i have a signed invoice from them with a £300 discount - can i hold them to it?

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
Hat,

Most dealers have E&OE printed somewhere on the order form. Or sometimes something in the contract conditions that the deal is subject to the sales managers agreement.

Taz,

My sister never had her card debited for her deposit of £3,500 for about 3-4 months after she got the car. :eek: I think she got confused about the deposit and the guaranteed future value and the fact that she's never bough anything on finance in her life.

But legally you have no leg to stand on, apart from the moral argument.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Once you have the goods that are for sale you don't have to pay them anything. They have made the mistake.

And as for E&OE (errors and omissions exempt) - it means jack, everyone puts it on receipts and documents to make people think they don't have any rights if mistakes are made. Its not true, no court recognises the "E&OE" phrase...

personal experience.

·
Master of the Lost Boys
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interceptor said:
What happened in the end?
Did they take the £500 off you?

don't know, going to have to check thru my bank statements from June yo see if they have debited the money or not- I naturally assumed that when I gave my card details for the deposit order that that wasnone refundable and already taken. They said that thyve had a few problems like this so could I check. yeh, in my own time methinks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts