MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry:
Had a pretty crap day with dropping my pregnant wife off for admission to hospital so didn't really want any more stress. Left the hospital to come home and noticed trip comp said only 60 miles till empty so went into BP and filled up with £53.20 of unleaded so no worries if i get a call in the night. Set off home but had a huge surprise when 10 miles down the road the fuel light pinged on :confused:
Got home and crawled under car to tap fuel tank and found it empty! There is no obvious leak any where so surely the pump has not delivered the fuel but it did register 43 litres on its counter.
Rang petrol station to explain but counter girl no help really only kept saying manager not back till tomorrow lunch time.
Now thinking how can i really prove im genuine and how to get fuel/money back?
Any help, thoughts or legal eagle advise would be great, cheers.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Thats unlucky! :puzzled: :(

Surely if the pump didnt deliver the fuel, they cn try it again and see that it doesnt work? (though sods law says that it will work fine..)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
How annoying - I'll remember to check my fuel gauge before setting off next time! Hopefully, the garage will sort something out for you. That really does take the p*ss. With petrol prices as they are, this is not nice. Hopefully, it won't happen again, but if they don't refund you, avoid them.

Hopefully they'll refund you. They keep a record of petrol sold and they should know how much petrol is in the tanks - they should find your fuel still there! Hope it works out;).

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Did you not see the needle move before you drove off!? :confused:
He was probably more concerned about his pregnant wife.

Lets face it, we all do things which we wouldn't normally miss when we have something else on our minds.

Reactions: Buz999

·
Clubbin' It
420 Posts
Petrolheads quote from an old thread following :-

...... worked for 3 months as a contractor for a company that made flow meters for fuel pumps etc. I'd say its impossible for you to be charged with fuel without any passing down the hose.

Whilst I dont know the specific pump you used, it is fairly safe to say that they will all employ the same system whereby the flow of fuel registers with a device that then displays the ammount you've had.

The trigger you pull is just opening a vlave which lets the fuel pass, if no fuel is flowing the pump will display zero.

It is common for each pump to have more than one flow meter for variuos reasons, one of these being to shut off the pump after the delivery in which, one meter has failed.

If both meters failed during delivery, the pump would shut down as they hve a safety cut-out in the which stops a pump emptying the entire tank in one go........

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
So he's been charged for petrol, which he didn't get and couldn't be charged for if he got none, so how on earth did he end up paying £53.20?

That is confusing.

·
Clubbin' It
420 Posts
it won't be the answer they want to hear :mad:

Best of Wishes for the safe arrival of the new baby :smile:

p.s. when I left the hospital after our first son was born the car wouldn't start as it had run out of fuel :redface: the antinatal clinic kept telling us to have plenty of fuel ready....:rolleyes: I remember turning the engine off ( in traffic) on the way to the hospital and paid the penalty by having to push the car down the road to the nearest garage in the middle of the night before i could get back home....:redface:

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for replies and as you are im confused how this has happened :confused:

I have got to ring the garage at lunchtime to speak to the duty manager, hopefully the pump has packed up in the night and others have complained, but i doubt it.
I didn't realise the gauge had not moved as i had it in my mind the tank was full and i needed to get home to sort things out so just drove.

If i dont get things sorted then i definatley wont use them again but when BP make £ 1.5 billion a month my £100 will mean nothing!
Depending what mood im in when i leave visiting hospital later this afternoon then i may just refill with same amount as last night and refuse to pay till they sort it out:mad:

Thanks for best wishes Derek

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Thanks for replies and as you are im confused how this has happened :confused:

I have got to ring the garage at lunchtime to speak to the duty manager, hopefully the pump has packed up in the night and others have complained, but i doubt it.
I didn't realise the gauge had not moved as i had it in my mind the tank was full and i needed to get home to sort things out so just drove.

If i dont get things sorted then i definatley wont use them again but when BP make £ 1.5 billion a month my £100 will mean nothing!
Depending what mood im in when i leave visiting hospital later this afternoon then i may just refill with same amount as last night and refuse to pay till they sort it out:mad:

Thanks for best wishes Derek
Aren't the petrol stations just franchises? Yes your £100 a month may not really affect them, but its the principle more than anything. If you just run off without paying, you'll get a visit from the fuzz! It will be seen as theft regardless! Let us all know how this goes!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Aww sorry to hear that happened. Good to point it out to people and I, myself will be more careful filling up next time too. I am sure your wife appreciates it, I know I would. :)

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
This is certainly an odd conundrum. Are we sure the petrol tank on the car isn't leaking? :confused:

Also, I've heard petrol theft out of tanks is on the rise - was there any time between filling up and getting home to tap the tank where the car was left unattended? :confused:

All the best,
Andrew.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
This is certainly an odd conundrum. Are we sure the petrol tank on the car isn't leaking? :confused:

Also, I've heard petrol theft out of tanks is on the rise - was there any time between filling up and getting home to tap the tank where the car was left unattended? :confused:

All the best,
Andrew.
Haven't MINIs got anti-siphon tanks?

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the problem looks like it is with the car.

Rang the garage and the managers only reply was to contact trading standards and they would come out and check pumps.
This still left me needing fuel as light was on so i went to local garage and began to fill up but after £4 or so the nozzle clicked, suggesting tank full:confused:.
Set off towards hospital with the fuel light still on saying only 30 miles range left. I have driven around 40 miles and range is now 0 so this has left me thinking gauge/trip comp/sender is knackered and not registered fill up or anytime im about to conk out:eek:
Now feeling a tw#t for not knowing the difference between the sound of a full and empty tank and being shirty with the garage staff :rolleyes:

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts

Rang the garage and the managers only reply was to contact trading standards and they would come out and check pumps.
This still left me needing fuel as light was on so i went to local garage and began to fill up but after £4 or so the nozzle clicked, suggesting tank full:confused:.
Set off towards hospital with the fuel light still on saying only 30 miles range left. I have driven around 40 miles and range is now 0 so this has left me thinking gauge/trip comp/sender is knackered and not registered fill up or anytime im about to conk out:eek:
Now feeling a tw#t for not knowing the difference between the sound of a full and empty tank and being shirty with the garage staff :rolleyes:
Ah, slight problem!

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Oh dear... :frown:

Well, at least you've figured out what's going on. :redface:​

I'm sure they'll see the funny side if you tell them about it. ;) :D

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Haven't MINIs got anti-siphon tanks?
The latest craze is just to drill through the tank, the plastic tanks make it easier and less risky for them, in the old days of metal tanks you'd have to be pretty keen to drill a metal tank. happened to a couple of guys I work with recently... they only realised when they went to fill up and as quick as it went in the tank it came out through the hole again...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts