MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,
My S with 17's, Pirrelli Runflats and Sports Suspension Plus suffered an impact to it's rear wheel recently (not my fault).

Just minor cosmetic damage, but due to BMW company policy a new rear wheel, wheel arch trims and full alignment paid for by the other parties insurance..

However, part of the way through the process I get a phone call telling me one of the front struts is slightly mushroomed and the repair will be close to £700..........??

The S has 18k miles on the clock and had a full wheel alignment 5k miles ago at ProTyre who have the same system as BMW - no problems reported at this time and drove beautifully in a straight line.

2 months ago back to ProTyre for 2 new tyres (due to a puncture and felt replacing as a pair a better option) - tyre wear on the car reported as even, not showing any alignment issues - still driving beautifully in a straight line last week when I took it on a round trip from London to Nth Devon.

It has never suffered an impact with a large pothole, curb etc and the wheels are unmarked.
I'd consider myself very gentle in terms of how I drive the car, it's totally babied...

I've read up on all the people that have experienced this problem and it seems totally insane that the MINI can suffer from "mushrooming" after normal driving and at incredibly low mileages.
Also read the info re this originally being covered under warranty then becoming a wear and tear issue, then the strut tower re-design in 06 - MINI are obviously aware..:angry:

It also rather concerns me that if they effectively "bash" out the strut tower the metal will be weakened and only suffer from the same issue again - how can that not be a safety issue??

Has anyone had any luck with having this resolved via BMW goodwill?

I still have warranty and think I'll get a second opinion - unfortunately I've been away on business so haven't been able to look at the car myself - only cleaned the engine bay last week and didn't notice the strut tower studs looking abnormal.

Thanks, Geoff..

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
I just recently had my strut tower muchrooming fixed by Think Mini near Worcester. Luckily the new suspension I had fitted at the same time has camber plates, which is a thick chunk of metal under the strut, so they shouldnt do it again.

I would think something like that would be waranty.

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just recently had my strut tower muchrooming fixed by Think Mini near Worcester. Luckily the new suspension I had fitted at the same time has camber plates, which is a thick chunk of metal under the strut, so they shouldnt do it again.

I would think something like that would be waranty.
Yes, I'd have though it was a warranty issue unless the car was showing obvious signs of abuse - wheel damage etc.
Seems MINI started off this way but changed tack when they realised how many cars were being affected.

I just carefully studied some pics I took of the engine bay last week and cannot see any evidence of mushrooming - guess I will have to wait and view the car close up on Monday.

I've already written a firm but polite email to my service advisor letting him know all the information I've seen online pertaining to this known "issue" and also the fact that the (common) 17" S-Spoke/Runflat set-up seems most prone to suffering from it.
I've asked him to investigate whether BMW will offer a goodwill gesture.

How much did it cost for the mushrooming repairs if you don't mind me asking and how bad were they at the point you had them repaired?

Thanks, Geoff.

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, dealership sorted a goodwill repair, was easy, just offered to present a bunch of information from the web in regards to how common this problem is.

The mushrooming was very slight so not too much re-shaping of the strut tower required.

M7 SRP's on the way..
M7: Vision. Passion. Drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts