MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
Joined
·
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
turns out my local dealer employs comedians in the sales department. went in today to talk about trading my 52 plate cooper in chilli red/white with chilli pack, manual air con, 6 cd changer & they offered £10,250 but then said that by the time they could get a new car to me (late november) it would have to be adjusted down to £9850. After some hand wringing & "talking to the sales manager" (which as we all know translates as going for a psiss) he graciously agreed to guarantee £10k as a trade in.

i told him i'd have to think about it but how does this compare to what people are being offered?
 

·
Addicted to Speed!!
Joined
·
4,865 Posts
Same age Cooper as yours but on an '02 plate, Pure Silver, Chili, MFSW, auto air-con, S spokes, roof flag with 19,800 miles and my dealer offered me £11,800 if I traded now, or £10,600 if I traded next March.

I'm keeping my Cooper though as it's pretty sorted of faults now and the new ones sound about as bad as ever, and I don't want to go through all that again! :eek:
 

·
GEEEEEEEEK
Joined
·
9,069 Posts
hat i lost 2k on my cooper when i traded it in it had 22k on the clock and needed 2 tyres new discs and pads on the front thear was 11 months old but i have known people sell there cars private and only loose about 500 quid


my dealer honered the price he said 5 months befor i got the car and it had done another 8k in the mean time
 

·
Overboosting.....
Joined
·
3,392 Posts
I was offered £9500 for my 51 plate Cooper when I traded it in, but I managed to sell it for £10700 privately

It was a Cooper in CR/W with Chili pack, S Spokes and Roof Graphic with 24,000 miles.

Thought I managed to get a good price for it.
 

·
GEEEEEEEEK
Joined
·
9,069 Posts
R1 said:
New disks at 22,00 miles? What have you been up to? :confused: :p :D
one too many mini adventures drove it really hard nearly all the time do most of the milage going to work and back my new S is 9 weeks old and has over 6k on the clock already
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
I was offered £9500 for my 52 Cooper/Pepper/ASC+T/PDC/CD/Boost with 14K on the clock in October as a trade-in against a BMW 120d SE. I didn't try to haggle as I wasn't really interested in changing the car (yet!) and just wanted a ballpark figure for the monthly payments. I did think that figure was a bit low, however.
 

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
Joined
·
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R1 said:
Same age Cooper as yours but on an '02 plate, Pure Silver, Chili, MFSW, auto air-con, S spokes, roof flag with 19,800 miles and my dealer offered me £11,800 if I traded now, or £10,600 if I traded next March.

I'm keeping my Cooper though as it's pretty sorted of faults now and the new ones sound about as bad as ever, and I don't want to go through all that again! :eek:
where was that?
 

·
Welcome back...
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
VincentVega said:
I was offered £9500 for my 52 Cooper/Pepper/ASC+T/PDC/CD/Boost with 14K on the clock in October as a trade-in against a BMW 120d SE. I didn't try to haggle as I wasn't really interested in changing the car (yet!) and just wanted a ballpark figure for the monthly payments. I did think that figure was a bit low, however.
I see you get the same thing over there as we do over here when we trade in a Mini. I traded a '03 BRG/W CVT loaded and got $13,500 for it paid $23,600 for it new. My big problem was I had 33,500 miles on the clock and only owned it for 13.5 months. Hey they still gave me enough so I paid off the loan and got money back to pay for my '04 EB/W S. I even got a better loan this time and put more money down, so I pay less and I am driving an S.

If I had the time I would of sold it privately. I could of got $16,000-16,500 for it. The biggest bee in my bonnet was when I went in to have some stuff adjusted on the new S and saw mine on the lot for sale for over $18,000 !!!

Ah well, sell it privately if not work the dealer until you get what you think is fair.

Winslow
:eb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
You practically never get a better deal on the sale of your car on a dealer trade-in. Wy would the dealer give you market value? They have to resell it at a profit!

Sell it on EBay! I've sold a couple of cars on EBay with great results. The last one got a huge price. A guy paid way more than it was worth (the P.T Barnum syndrome).

But, I'd never trade a car in to the dealer, you'll get the short end of the stick every time!
 

·
Serial Mini Hugger
Joined
·
87 Posts
Holy crap... So Minis truely DO retain their value?!

My mum just traded in a year and a half old VW Polo that originally cost about 12k. She would have gotten £5,500 for it. No joke.

She was paying £220 into the car every month, and it was depreciating by £200 every month at the same time. Car dealers truely have us wrapped around their fingers.
 

·
totally sure!
Joined
·
25,310 Posts
I recently went to see about trading in my Auto Cooper on a a 53 plate (man air con/sun roof/chilli pack/visibility pack/glove box/can't remember what else now!) and was offered £12,500. He would hold that price until November as that was the first date they could get a delivery of the same but in manual. He said the fact that there was only 8,000 miles on the clock he could sell it ASAP!

I declined the offer!
 

·
Welcome back...
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
vagt6 said:
You practically never get a better deal on the sale of your car on a dealer trade-in. Wy would the dealer give you market value? They have to resell it at a profit!

Sell it on EBay! I've sold a couple of cars on EBay with great results. The last one got a huge price. A guy paid way more than it was worth (the P.T Barnum syndrome).

But, I'd never trade a car in to the dealer, you'll get the short end of the stick every time!
That is true but if you don't have the time, like I did when I bought the S, then you have to take what they give you. I still think it was a good deal, what they gave me for the car was more than what the loan amount was for. So what what left over reduced the price for my S.


Winslow
:eb:
 

·
Addicted to Speed!!
Joined
·
4,865 Posts
junglemonkey said:
Holy crap... So Minis truely DO retain their value?!

My mum just traded in a year and a half old VW Polo that originally cost about 12k. She would have gotten £5,500 for it. No joke.

She was paying £220 into the car every month, and it was depreciating by £200 every month at the same time. Car dealers truely have us wrapped around their fingers.
Tell me about it !!

I bought a new Mondeo ST24 (nice car by the way) and I wanted to trade this for my MINI. That Mondeo cost me £21,000 new, 2 1/2 years later I was offered £8,500 as trade-in!!!! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: A mate bought it off me for £9,500 in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,101 Posts
heres another for you then

I went to my dealers on Monday for my cars first service. It's a Jan 04 car on a 53 plate. It has chilli pack, visibility pack, alloy patina dash, manual AC, alarm and MFSW and cost £14700. It also has an aftermarket stereo etc which will come out and the standard cassette etc will go back in.

I'm trying to decide if it will be better financially for me to swop now and then again when the next generation comes out in 2006 or hold on with this car till then.

So while the service was happening - 9600 miles btw - I took a brand new Cooper convertible for a test drive. Not that I have any intention what so ever of getting a convertible but wanted to try either a new Cooper with the Getrag box etc or an S. The Cooper was the only thing available.

Now for the nitty gritty - they offered me just 12k for my car!

Surely thats too low? for a 10 month old and lovingly looked after car. Lossing £2700 in 10 months just seems way to much to me?

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,664 Posts
It loses the VAT in the first 12 months Paul :(
Its very annoying as they wouldl probably put yours on the Pitch priced at £13800 or so.
I'm dreading selling my S as it has tons of options on!!!!
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top