MINI Cooper Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts
It must have been in Auto Express a while ago I think as that's the only car magazine I read. My father's also told me the same thing, so I'm guessing I haven't made it up! It said BMW weren't going to be happy until the Cooper S could make 0 - 60 in less than 7.0 seconds.

Specs from the 'S brochure i got infront of me:

Unladen weight (EU): 1215 kg.
Nominal power: 120kw (163bhp) @ 6000 rpm's
Acceleration 0-100 km/h (60mph): 7.4 sec.
Top speed: 218 km/h

Fule consumption (combined driving): 8.4 l. / 100 km. (To Be Confirmed)

Some scans from the brochure:

Thankfully, I don't need a new car, or I'd be down at my Nissan dealer right now, taking delivery of a Sentra SE-R. When I bought my current car, I decided it would be a three-year deal, and a new car would be due Summer of '02. Well, if everything goes as planned, I should have my S in July. It is really amazing that we are waiting for a car that was announced four years ago, and some probably won't have their car a year from now! I'm glad you like the Civic. The one I saw at a local car show left me pretty cold. It was something of a mule, according to the rep, but the basic exterior was pretty drab. Nothing some 18" wheels and a 6" exhaust tip won't cure!

According to the Cooper S brochure that ADO15 just posted in this forum, the official 0-100 kph (0-62mph) time is listed at 7.4 seconds with the weight at 1215 kg (about 2675 lbs.)

Any speculation on what the 0-60 mph would be? 7.2? Perhaps 7.0?

ADO15 said:
Specs from the 'S brochure i got infront of me:

100 km/h = not 60 but about 62.5 mph that extra 2.5 mph makes quite a difference and, based on your figures, the 0-60 mph should better 7 secs (just)!

Specs from the 'S brochure:

1215 kg :mad: The 'S' put on more weight than I did over the Thanksgiving holiday ... last I heard it was 1140 kg.

RickB said:
. . . . . I'm glad you like the Civic. The one I saw at a local car show left me pretty cold. It was something of a mule, according to the rep, but the basic exterior was pretty drab. Nothing some 18" wheels and a 6" exhaust tip won't cure!
Don`t quite know about the "mule" bit, maybe he was referring to the "kick" through the gears?

I`ve been in one, seen a red one on the road and can easily see why tubby was smitten, also if you`ve got a couple of kids and other "baggage" there`s absolutely no contest in my opinion.

Pretty drab basic exterior? How about plain smooth?

And like he says, next summer for the S!

Jakx, agreed on the 7.0 or less, the 62.5mph mark can sometimes be a half second difference depending on the available torque and possible gear shift.
I was just looking the other day at something; cars like 911 TT's do it in a tenth or two, but 7-8 second 0-60 cars easily take a full half second or more to get that 2.5mph

Didn't we agree that the EU weight included 75kg for the driver? The weight for the car should be 1140kg (2508 lbs.) - a couple of hundred pounds overweight, but still lighter than all but two cars in the U.S. market. It's really pretty amazing that they've been able to pack all of the standard equipment that they have into the car, and keep the weight "down" to 2500. My old Sentra had an all-aluminum engine, and had no ABS, airbags, electric windows, AC, sunroof or a lot of other weighty items, and it weighed only 100 pounds less than the S.
My comment about the Civic being a mule, was a refernce to the one I saw being a prototype or development car and not a production example. Still, compared to the MINI in any of its guises, the new Civic is pretty bland.

O-60 Not Fast Enough!!!

I was reading a report on Vauxhalls VX220 Nice car and the fact that the 0-60 time was 5.6.....BUT to achieve this figure necessitated a change to 3rd gear, when they asked Vauxhall, they were told it was achievable but only if you revved it to 6000rpm and dumped the clutch....hmmm nice!

ok ok ill get to the point......i got me thinking what sort of 0-60 times are we looking at for other 'Nice cars', cars we might otherwise have thought about purchasing ...

Here we go

AutoExpress tested the new Prodrive Subaru WRX STi (Prodrive version) 2 litres, 19mpg if your lucky, 261bhp
0-60 was 5.2 impressive!

1.8 apx seconds faster than Cooper 'S'.

WRX version same 2 litre but lower bhp 0-60 time 6.4!! only .6 of a second faster!!

Alfa 147 2.0 Twin Spark 9.3
Audi A3 1.6 Sport 11.0
A3 1.8 TSport 8.2
A3 1.8 Sport 9.2
A3 S3 Quattro 6.9
BMW 325i Sport 7.2 slower than 'S'
330i Sport 6.5 slightly quicker...just
Caterham Classic 1.6 6.7
Westfield 1.8 5.7
Civic 2.0 R Type 6.8 just quicker
Jaguar X Type 3.0 V6 SE 6.6
Lotus Elise 5.7
Mitsubbishi Evo VII 4.4 well i couldnt just put the scooby in!
MG ZR160 7.4 is the best that the ZRs can get and the ZS manages a 7.3
Morgan Aero 8 5.0 from a BMW 4.2 litre engine/gearbox
Peugeot 106 1.6 GTI 8.7
Peugeot 206 2.0 GTI 8.3
Porsche Boxster 2.7 6.6 Again theres not a great deal in it
Boxster S 3.2 5.9 or here
Clio 172 2.0ltrs manages 7.1
Sport V6 Clio manages 6.4 from a V6 3.0litre!! and no handling gizmos like traction control!!

So there we go maybe our US friends feel that theres a big difference in drag racing US cars but then not many of us over here drive big BIG engined cars like they do....for us in the little ole UK a 7.0 second 'S' will do just nicely....yes the Scooby brigade will outrun us but il give a run for their money!! waiting till they slip a gear then il be there!!! and we can rest assured that we will get mor e Mpgs than most of this little lot above.....

Oh and while im at it this is just a quick guide to 'nice' cars, there are faster there are more expensive there are probably some ive left out but i think ive covered all bases....the hot, the quick, the smart, the same size, the same price range,the same market sector..and for some the potential opposition!! :D

P.S Ive had to register again cause of this new site anyone know if i can get my old name etc back?

0-60 isn't everything

I see the Cooper S's main rivals as the Renault Clio 172 and the Honda Civic Type R. Both have more power (172, and 197) and faster 0-60 times (7.2 and 6.8). BUT... both have less torque, so the slightest whiff of a hill and the MINI will leave them standing. Both have worse fuel consumption. The Honda needs revving to 8000rpm to achieve its acceleration which becomes very tiresome very quickly. Both are ugly as sin!

The mini may not be as fast as a WRX by some margin but that costs £22,000 in the UK. Around 6 grand more than a nicely specced S. If you want to spend that sort of money wait for the Works or Alpina S.

0-60 not the be all and end all

Exactly Cooper S

My point exactly .....

i based the differences between cars on a 0-60 of 7.0 secods as writtenin this thread some1 mentioned 0-62 was 7.4 seconds so allow a bit of and make it an easy 7.0 seconds.....i hate the civis R its nowhere as nice as the Acura R that they are having in Japan....but i think i mentione4d in this thread 0-60 isnt the be all and end all the torque is a big BIG decider overtaking etc etc ....its just that people tend to get hung up on the 0-60 times all the while ....0-60 isnt any good if the competition comes past you on the first bend !! :D

Re: 0-60 isn't everything

Cooper_S said:
I see the Cooper S's main rivals as the Renault Clio 172 and the Honda Civic Type R. Both have more power (172, and 197) and faster 0-60 times (7.2 and 6.8). BUT... both have less torque, so the slightest whiff of a hill and the MINI will leave them standing. Both have worse fuel consumption. The Honda needs revving to 8000rpm to achieve its acceleration which becomes very tiresome very quickly. Both are ugly as sin!

The mini may not be as fast as a WRX by some margin but that costs £22,000 in the UK. Around 6 grand more than a nicely specced S. If you want to spend that sort of money wait for the Works or Alpina S.
As I have mentioned elsewhere....The Cooper S in oz is in the same price bracket as the WRX, Integra Type R, Nissan 200SX, etc etc. The latest subaru WRX MY02 with shorter gearing was recently tested in a local magazine here and ran a 7.4 sec 0 - 100 km/h. !!!..... Thats slow by WRX standards but still bloody quick..... new number plate required for my "S" ....."REX ETR"

Its not 0-60 thats important its getting from 60-0

Getting from 60-0 in .00001 seconds could really ruin your day.

The last thing going through your mind could be a MINI badge

Literally :( :( :(

But in stating that, I still want my Mini to do 0-60 in <7 sec.

If I'm going to pay top $$$ then I want top HP !!!

Cooper in 8.5 sec?

I can't figure out how to link to this certain post,
but in the general discussion forum, in the thread "My mini adventures," Dom has a post that states he was able to hit 60 in 8.5sec in a Cooper. So what does that mean for the S?

Here is what Dom posted in that thread
I got mine doing 60 in 8.5 seconds last night, and that was with a passenger. Just about made it without changing into 3rd gear. Dom
I wonder how valid that time is. The most accurate measurement would be to use an AP22 type of measuring device.

in the end, no matter how fast the S pulls to 60, it really depends on the driver being able to maximize every shift changing gears not too early and not too late.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.