MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just finished an overhaul on the wife’s Dooper; timing belt, Tensioners, alternator, battery etc...
Going great now!
However, getting the following fault through Carly;

004A07 Generator (later BSD)
Any ideas??

there’s a new battery and a new alternator. The battery has been coded to the car.

Any suggestions welcomed!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I now think that the alternator that GSF have sold me is not compatible with the car.... AGHH!!! I’ve put in the 150A alternator, now they are saying that it is the 120A I need.....?

could this be the cause of the fault?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
AGM batteries are sensitive to first off coding and to smart charge and the smart charge will see a 150amp higher output being a over charge in circuit, so needs to be correct output and correct battery etc,, would contact main dealers ask them what is correct system for your car basis on vin number etc,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is the one that came out of the car...

hard to find info on the web if this is in fact a 150A....

interestingly, the lookup on eurocarparts states a 145A......?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another update.....
took the alternator out after I contacted GSF car parts. They told me (via email) that this was indeed the incorrect part and that I should have purchased the 120A alternator. I went to GSF and they 100% confirmed that this was the correct alternator for the car??
i have the WAI 903PC0225. The GSF guy said that ”he doesn‘t use the website lookup as it is unreliable.....”

anyone know what alternator this car should have?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another update.....
took the alternator out after I contacted GSF car parts. They told me (via email) that this was indeed the incorrect part and that I should have purchased the 120A alternator. I went to GSF and they 100% confirmed that this was the correct alternator for the car??
so I went home again....
I was still unconvinced, so spent an hour googling.... the proper alternator is 145A, not 150A or 120A. The Bosch part number is 0124525126 and the corresponding WAI number is 20004.
Now, off to see if I can get the correct part and see if it cures the fault code! (By the way, the stop start is not working after the new alternator and battery, hope it’s the alternators fault!)

I’ll update after I get the “correct” alternator fitted.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
need to code new battery to car, and as its start stop will need a AGM type, might find the issue is with the smart charge system, trace the two small wires to battery see if broken anywhere fairly common to get broken

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Mike1967!
I have a new AGM battery installed and coded to the car using Carly. Thanks for the tip on the wires, will check this!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK.... Had to order a 145A alternator off the web... eventually came yesterday.... would you believe.... all sorted!!

Be very careful when replacing the alternator, and don’t believe what the parts dealers tell you... always do your homework and cross reference the correct part Numbers!

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
trouble is different years and specs have different needs to power and these car have what bmw car smart charge systems so if wrong battery or alternator can well believe cant stick higher or lower amps one as will not be seen as giving correct outputs, might find in bmw diagnostics might be able to tell the ecu when to expect maybe,,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts