MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - so I know this isn't a JCW?. I've owned (5) Minis in the past 3 years, and this 2003 S model has me wondering.....I just sold my 2012 Coupe to my son, and the acceleration in this 2003 S is atrocious in comparison. Both have the 6 speed manual, and I realize I gave up 20hp, but this S only has 49k miles on the clock. It just seems a LOT slower in acceleration. I bought a manifold to CAT exhaust, thinking maybe the CAT was plugged (yes - that much of a difference), but haven't yet replaced it.So the question is - what else could be wrong? I'm thinking maybe spark plug replacement, but don't want to throw parts at it. The damned 2012 literally ATE the new coil over plug replacements I put in in less than 1000 mile (different story on that soon).

Are the accel figures THAT drastic between a 2003 S and the 2012 Coupe S? Seat of the pants is a marked difference. What else could be hosed? Fuel pump pressure? Filter (at 49k I hope not)?

· Registered
1,302 Posts
If the car isn't throwing up any lights on the dashboard and you think something is wrong, worth scanning for any stored codes.

Giving it a tune up might help, but you'll be throwing parts at it like oil, filter, coils, sparks etc...

The first gen MINIs will feel less powerfull than the 2nd gen MINIs as the supercharger produces more of a linear power whilst the turbocharger produces power ~1500 rpm.

There's only ~20-30 bhp between them, so maybe that's what you've been missing.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah - I get it regarding the supercharger vs turbo. Fact of the matter is, this thing doesn't feel as strong at the '08 non S I had, the '06 non S I had, nor even the 134 hp turbo 3 cylinder '14 I had. The strongest (albeit non-dependable) '12 Coupe was the best I've experienced - SURPRISINGLY strong acceleration. I'm still of the opinion that the CAT is semi-plugged, which I already bought a replacement for. Reason for buying the CAT was that I had (2) previous vehicles that felt similar - an '89 Suzuki Swift GT(definitely a plugged CAT as evidenced by the honeycomb I dumped out of the front end), and a '97 Dodge Ram - basically same deal - exhaust was plugged with CAT honeycomb. 49k miles on this motor coupled with the dogginess does not equate - I'm going to replace the plugs and see if that makes a difference first, but still suspect the CAT breakdown. I'm still wondering why no CEL for O2 sensor if what I think is going on is true. Thanks for the input guys - I'll keep you posted....

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So now I bought ANOTHER Cooper S (expensive TEST vehicle for sure - but girl needed car) 2006 S model. 92k miles. Automatic. And now I KNOW there's something wrong with my 03. Her 06 Automatic S (with nearly twice the miles on ODO) blows me away. I got mine.....times 7. Bought a 2003 S about 3 months ago......not my first MINI experience.....I've owned 7 Coops and 3 S models. My question is this - the 2012 S Coupe and the newly purchased 2006 S Hatch are SUBSTANTIALLY faster than the 2003 S Hatch I bought. I "get" that the 12 S Turbo is not a valid comparison, but the 2006 S Supercharged AUTO I just bought for my daughter is WAY quicker than the 03. Facts are these - the 03 S is a 6 speed manual. The 06 S is a 6 speed auto. the 03 only has 50k miles on it; the 06 has 90k plus. The performance is literally night and day; her 06 auto will BLOW AWAY the 03.Years notwithstanding....why? I had (erroneously) thought the CAT was plugged on the 03, so I bought a full manifold to post CAT exit exhaust replacement. No difference. I have ZERO CELs, but it does get rather crappy MPG (29). So the question here is - what the hell is wrong with the 03? HP is supposed to be reasonably close, but I know for a fact the performance is literally night and day. I keep reading about crank pulley "slippage" = what's that about? Also - any additional "check this" comments are REALLY welcome. I'm stumped - and can't have my 15 year old girl's 06 AUTO beating my 03 6 speed manual off the line!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.