MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove the '05 MCS yesterday and, of course, loved it. The dealership, however, also has a handful of the MC40s in stock. Apparently, they haven't been selling terribly well and are being offered at a discount from list. Normally, I would prefer to take the newer model, configured as I like, and be done with it. But, the MC40 is in one of the color schemes I'd been considering (chili red/white roof) and has a number of interesting bits that aren't available otherwise (red/black leather seats, carbon fiber dash, etc.). Assuming that I would be doing some performance modifications to the car in any event, is there really anything I would be drastically missing performance-wise by going with the '04? The only things I can think of are the different gear ratios and the LSD. Thanks.

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
First of all, welcome to MINI2 :)
Unless the 05 will be a Jan. or later build, it won't have the LSD. Personally, I really like the Mc40. If they're offering it at a discount, I would definitly get it. Of course, you sacrafice small things, like the 05 headlights, tailights, and the 3 piece dash... But still, get the Mc40.

·
Having Too Much Fun
28 Posts
I have an MC40 and I don't know how much better the gearbox could be than what it is. Th ratios seem xln't. I have had mine a month or so and love it. The extra touches are worth it IMO and I had a similar "discount" deal when I bought mine. I was going to order an '05, but found the exact basic car I was going to order in the MC40 ready to drive away.

Go for it man! :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
if you can bear the wait, I would definitely go the 2005 route... not only do you get the extra 5 hp but also a lot of nice touches that aren't avail. in the earlier models.... interior led lights, the new gear ratios, the side visor etc. I'm glad I did....
:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
i love my mc40

i went to Texas to get my MC 40 and is the # 40 ,drove to Atlanta and then Florida 1800 Miles loved this car is great on mountains very very fast, mini cooper its a drivers car :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
I bought an MC40 and I really love it, for three reasons, all of which turn on my love of the fundamentals in life.

First, it's a great option mix--just about everything on it is performance related. No sun roof, no climate or cruise control, no heated seats. No multi CD, no satellite radio. Let me tell you, fog lights front and rear are performance related. The MC40 has exceptional leather seats. I think you can make the case that it's a bit lighter than most MCS on the road--and that's noticeable when you're driving.

Second, it's traditional. I love every MINI I've ever seen or driven, but the MC40 is a link to the past and the classic Mini. Don't get me wrong, my wife has an S with every options known to MINIkind, except bonnet stripes, and it's a beautiful car. The MC40 is much more distinctive.

And third, it looks really cool and goes really fast. Well, I guess that's two more reasons.

I drove a 2005 Cooper Convertible for three days, and it was a blast, but the small changes between the 04 and the 05 didn't make all that much difference (although that missing roof did...!).

At any rate, I faced the choice of trading in my MC40 for an new 2005 MCS ordered from the factory, and decided to keep the MC40 after about a month of thinking about it and driving different cars. It's special in a lot of ways.

So, I'd go with buying the MC40, especially if you can get a deal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mc40

Just some tech advice. With the new gearbox ratio you run the risk of creating a 'nervous' car when you put on a Works kit. Next to that the Mini is not the last thing in traction.
So I would go for a Works MC40. Best of both worlds really.

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts