MINI Cooper Forum banner

What is the better car to keep in the long run?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The One
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to decide whether I keep my almost-1-year-old Mini One (something i really love driving esp since it's modded) or take over a mate's 1989 Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 4 (something i really love driving too).

Running costs aside and based on sheer driving pleasure in the long run, what would the kind people of mini2 think I should do?

Attachments

·
Don Vito
17,160 Posts
911 hands down :eek:

No disrespect to the MINI but a 911 porker will always get my vote no matter how many Works you put in front of me ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
mini is more reliable
mini is under warranty
mini is an all-weather car
mini can seat 4
mini has more space
mini has more comfort
mini handles as well as a porsche (except boxster S)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Is this your only car? I've driven a couple of 964 version's of the 911 and by todays
standards it's a no compromise car. The ride is rock hard and it's difficult to drive
at a respectable pace as it always begs to be driven harder. Running costs are
very high due to high servicing costs, even from independants, that you can't afford
to ignore. Tyres, brakes, repairs etc are all expensive. Depreciation is good for this
type of car though. I'd love a 911 but from this era as a second car. It's a bit of an
animal and we aren't talking herbivores :D.
p.s. the Porche club(s) are excellent.

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Porsche will cost you quite a bit to keep on the road - but I'm still trying to decide if my '76 Porsche (that I got rid of over 10 years ago) was more fun than my '04 MCS. The MINI is the better car of the 2, but man did l love that Porsche.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
hmmmmm..... can you take both? :D :p

Im not too familiar with the ONE as we dont have it here, but out of the two, Id probably pick the Porsche ;) :eek:

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
If you can afford to buy both, buy it by all means - you only get to live once AND if you spent all your money, you can always make more money to cover it in the future. At least that's how I drugged myself into buying something I don't really need and don't feel the pain.

Go Porsche...Porsche - there is no substitute. Not even a Mini.

In fact I am looking for a 964 as a weekend car to retire the faithful Porsche-eating Skyline. Found a few but I have to convince the CFO (err girlfriend) it is a worthwhile, feasible and justifiable purchase.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.