MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 05 MCS for a few weeks now and noticed - wait for it - a rattle which seems to be located somewhere behind the speedo. Having read a few other posts on 05 builds, it seems this is a fairly common fault.

I would be grateful if anyone could post any updates they have on this fault. Always like to have some background info before going back to my dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a May '04 build and I occasionally get the same thing. Mine sounds like a sort of sqeeky plastic-on-plastic sound and only happens when the car interior is cold.

A little bit of driving around with the A/C on lead me to narrow the source down the plastic window of the speedo. If I manipulate it, it makes the same sort of sound - plus if I press it in while driving over some rough pavement (which normally makes the squeek pipe up) it goes away.

Anyone know if there is a cure for it? I can't make out how to disassemble the speedo myself, and I'm sure if it comes down to taking it to the dealer, they'll mark it up to insipent schizophrenia on my side and have nothing to do with it.

·
GEEEEEEEEK
9,069 Posts
Yep i got that squeek on my 05 MCS its in the dealers hhaving it looked at already it only happens when the interior is cold

its also in having the tensioner pullys changed on the s/c belt to stop the loud clicking noise under acceleration

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a 04 MCS for about a week now and noticed the same thing. It rattles and squeaks on sometimes and somedays it doesn't. the sound does appear to be coming from the right hand side of the speedometer. Is this something i should inform the dealer and let it be fixed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fevs said:
Yep i got that squeek on my 05 MCS its in the dealers hhaving it looked at already it only happens when the interior is cold

its also in having the tensioner pullys changed on the s/c belt to stop the loud clicking noise under acceleration
Any update from your dealer as to the mystery Speedo rattle?

Must admit, I'm not really keen on having the dealer remove the dash, will probably cause more rattles!

·
GEEEEEEEEK
9,069 Posts
radish said:
Any update from your dealer as to the mystery Speedo rattle?

Must admit, I'm not really keen on having the dealer remove the dash, will probably cause more rattles!
Got the S back last night its gone they said that they took the top off the dash and tightend some bolts/screws and added some padding dont really know what they was on about but its gone and im glad it cant be that hard to cure

cant be from the speedo either as i have the crono pack instead

·
03 MCS Pure Silver / Blk
232 Posts
Check out the other thread for squeek and rattles. My 2003 started with major sounds behind the speedo after I had the dealership install my rear fogs.... now I go to an independant mechanic. The free service is meaningless if it wastes days of your time with little success! I am just plain tired of wasting days in the MINI dealership's waiting room to have another repair screwed up.

The sound was actually the windshield coming in contact with the dashboard. Fixed by installing more foam tape (this time between the dash and windshield).

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
That sounds about right, my dash in the middle is rattling, sounds like fine rain, tap tap tap :( If i wedge my finger between the dash and windscreen, or press down on the dash it imeediately stops. I think your right foam between the two may well be the answer.

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
My speedo would creek when cold. The dealer pretty much took the whole dash apart and had to tighten everything up.

The speedo hasn't creeked since, but the dash topper has started to creek againsted the screen now.

Luke

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
:( I've just wedge some socks (yes socks) between the dash and the windscreen, one in the centre and one towards the right near the upright column, seems to have worked a treat. Obviously i'm gonna replace them with something a little more aesthetically pleasing, bit I think the principal is sound, something soft between the windscreen and dash stops the rattles

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
Mine had/has the speedo rattle.If you lightly touch the perspex of the speedo it goes away.I took it in for the fault to be rectified they said they would order another speedo that had to come from Germany.I rebooked it in and had it replaced.They did the work but unfortunately ripped the edges of the dash whilst putting the dash back in.Heres a question for you lot.My car went in for the rattle to be fixed and a faulty heated front screen.When i phoned at the end of the day to check if the car was ready i was told that they wanted to keep it for another day.I said why is there a problem,'no but the new windscreen needs 24hrs to set'.Now is this correct?How do people manage when Autowindsreens replace a screen on your driveway ,surely they don't wait 24hrs.Anyhoo haven't heard the original rattle back yet but now the dash creaks when going over bad road surfaces.Oh and the screen replacement leaked,through the rear view mirror.Thats been back in again to be replaced and the dash top was supposed to be done aswell but apparently the replacement dash top was damaged before they even touched it.So its still ripped.I'm starting to get extremely irritated by their lack of interest.I had the details for insurance of a courtesy car(MINI cooper)but on the day it was booked in they tried to make out that i had the wrong day after it seems that they realised that some idiot had already given the car out to someone else(they agreed to pick mine up from work and drop it off).Miraculously the day after (when they said the car was booked in) the mini cooper courtesy car turned into a BMW 318 which i hadn't got insured.The fact that they couldn't supply the MINI cooper confirms to me that they had given out the car to someone else by mistake.When i asked where the MINI cooper was i was told that the previous user had brought it back with a cracked screen.Then when i get the call to say its ready ,the dash still wasn't done.'We've decided to replace the dash top but it will take 7 to 10 days to come in'.'But you decided to replace it three weeks ago when you ripped it' so the part should already be here.The lady said she would go and check.Its then i get the story that the dash is there already but its damaged.How unlucky can one job be.Sorry to rant on your rattley dash thread but sometimes its good to get these frustrations off your chest.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Warped dashboard trim

Hi folks,

I have an 05 MCS, and I too have the "speedo creak" problem. I've isolated it down to the trim surrounding the speedo - if I press lightly on the bottom part of the speedo ring, I can stop the plastic-on-plastic sound.

On an earlier occasion, my dealer took apart the top of the dash and added bits of foam, but to no avail.

I went back a week ago (after having pinpointed the problem), and the mechanic was able to replicate the problem. They claim that the front-center dashboard trim piece (you know, the middle part of the 3-piece dash, used to be a 5-piece dash on 04 and earlier models) is warped, and that it's rubbing against the rest of the dash, causing the annoying squeak. They have ordered a replacement trim piece, and hopefully that will remedy the problem.

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
sbyun said:
Hi folks,

I have an 05 MCS, and I too have the "speedo creak" problem. I've isolated it down to the trim surrounding the speedo - if I press lightly on the bottom part of the speedo ring, I can stop the plastic-on-plastic sound.

On an earlier occasion, my dealer took apart the top of the dash and added bits of foam, but to no avail.

I went back a week ago (after having pinpointed the problem), and the mechanic was able to replicate the problem. They claim that the front-center dashboard trim piece (you know, the middle part of the 3-piece dash, used to be a 5-piece dash on 04 and earlier models) is warped, and that it's rubbing against the rest of the dash, causing the annoying squeak. They have ordered a replacement trim piece, and hopefully that will remedy the problem.
My A-Pillars (the covers) were warped and needed to be replaced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
lukebuzzy
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing