MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone retrofitted the extra sun visor that's on the '05 cars? I really like the idea of it, the current one is pretty useless for me, and since I'm driving north in the morning on the way to work, I have the sun coming in the drivers side of the car a fair bit of the way.

·
Rep withdrawal sucks.....
1,086 Posts
The short answer to that is: no.

I asked my MINI dealership when the specs on the 05's came out, and the answer they found out for me is that it's not retrofitable, for one simple reason - the location of the curtain airbags, on either side of the roof of the MINI.

For the 05 models, the curtain airbags were repositioned, so that not only the driver's side visor, but also the grab handles on the passenger side and the rear seats could be mounted too. Unfortunately, the position of the curtain airbags of the MINI models prior to 2005 is too low for the side visor or the grab handles to be fitted.

At least that's what I was told.............I would like to be proven wrong :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's difficult to use without twatting yourself on the head anyway.

And I'm only 5'11" and have my seat on the lowest setting.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
MukiMunki said:
It's difficult to use without hitting yourself on the head anyway.

And I'm only 5'11" and have my seat on the lowest setting.
I found that, I'm 6' and you have to move out of the way if you want to "deploy" it, and it's generally useless anyway, provides very little cover at my height (seat also at lowest position, but reasonably forward).

I also hit my head a load of times in my brother in laws MINI, on the passenger grab handle!

:eek:

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll just have to do Pauls puddle light mod then :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm 5'11" and initially thought i'd find it useless - but it has actually ben very useful and i've used it many times - the low winter sun we're getting here has made it a real positive safety factor a couple of times. Having said that, I do have to move my head over when 'deploying' it!

At some point I will get around to replacing the huge passenger grab handle with another visor so that my passenger's will stop bashing their heads...

·
Themikanic
239 Posts
Mini drivers sun visor

Hey guys, I've read previous threads saying how the drivers visor is a useless piece of whatever. However I'm here to say that in Oz where the Summer sun is much higher in the sky than the UK Summer sun & without additional UV window tint, the drivers sun visor is a welcome addition to save being burned & roasted through the glass. 34C in Melbourne on the weekend & it's not even Summer yet. Whatever happened to the drizzly cold Melbourne of old?
Michael. :ebblack:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Themikanic said:
Hey guys, I've read previous threads saying how the drivers visor is a useless piece of whatever. However I'm here to say that in Oz where the Summer sun is much higher in the sky than the UK Summer sun & without additional UV window tint, the drivers sun visor is a welcome addition to save being burned & roasted through the glass. 34C in Melbourne on the weekend & it's not even Summer yet. Whatever happened to the drizzly cold Melbourne of old?
Michael. :ebblack:
Got to agree I thought it was a waste of space until I was driving home yesterday with the sun to my right and decided to give it a go and and bugger me if it didn't work perfectly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i LOVE the side visor here in Atlanta

especially if u are going around twisties into the sun...the sun keeps going from front to side to front to side...so u don't have to move the visor back and forth..just keep both down and it's perfect...i'm 6'2" btw....it keeps my hands on the wheel, motoring...

·
Registered
700 Posts
I use mine fairly often, it's a big help when the sun's blasting in mid-afternoon.

It does seem that the airbags could be a problem with retrofitting, though. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed extra visor in my 03 MCS

Hi everyone,

I just finished installing the extra visor in my MCS. It took a lot of time figuring out but its done and works great.

First I went to a Mini Dealer with a tape measure and Looked where the visor was installed and took notes where the hinges were locate. Approximates were OK. I Wrote it down. 3 times!!!!

IWhile I was there I bought:
1 Visor - 51-16-7-134-440 $48.40

Then went to a hardware store and bought:
1 Steel Plate 10"x1" inch- any hardwwere store. It’s just bar stock
2 machine screws .75 inches long 4mm -2.5 - I went a little bigger for strength
2 4mm Nuts
4 lock washers
2 flat washers
1 thin cardboard- Cereal box works great

My Tools Used were:
Tap and die - thread the screw through the plate
Phillips Head Screw Driver
Bolt Cutter
Nut Driver - or ratchet
Micro Phillips or Flat head - Do Not use a straight pick tool!!!
Masking tape

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! If you decide to try this
This is what I "ME" Did

Here's what I did:

When I got the Visor I need to do a few things
1. Loosen the spring tension in the right side hinge. Its way to tight from the factory and may hinder installation. Open plastic clip slide it off the visor and pull apart the black clip. Spread it a little then clamp it shut again. This will give it enough tension to still close and open. Don't put it back together yet. I will do this step later.

2. Cut the 2 plastic pointers off the back of the hinge. They will be as long as the black Screws.

3. Took out the 2 black screws

4. With the plate I needed to drill 2 holes. They were 167.15mm or 6.57 inches apart.
I cut a piece of cardboard (thin) the same size as the plate and placed it over the visor hinges where the screw holes were and mark it. This was the template for the holes.
Marked it then used a mini screw driver phillips and pushed it through to make a hole.

5. Drilled the holes (drill press recommended) then thread the holes

6. I used a lock washer and screwed the screws through the holes tight. (DIDN’T STRIP IT)

7. Pulled the weather strip down from the top of the "A" Pillar. Just the top section is good enough.

8. With the Cardboard template, place it on Ir measurements and then tape it on. Pull the headliner down enough to fit My fingers between the liner and the airbag- Ohhh Airbag- yes I WAS VERY CAREFUL.

I took my Micro Tool and poked through the liner. Twist Slowly left and right until it went through the liner. After I did both sides made little circles to widen the liner hole to make the holes big enough for the screws to fit in.

9. Took the plate with the screws in it (made sure the lock washer were on) and fish it in between the airbag and headliner. With this design, I was not effecting the airbags deployment and had a strong support behind the headliner.

10. Now with the hinge that I didn't put back together, I looked how it is orientated with the one on the visor. This should be the right side hinge. Placed that hinge on the right side of the screw. Now placed a washer, and then lock washer then nut. Used the nut driver or ratchet, tighten the nut all the way in.
11. Took apart the other hinge and did the same.
12. I should have some extra length on the screw. Took the bolt cutters and cut the extra off
13. Place the visor back on the hinges and snap the clips back in to hold it in place
14. Put the Weather stripping back up
15. Enjoyed the shade!!!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
sounds great...how about some pictures....I'm sure it works great and looks great, but have you checked it out with a dealer to get their opinion if it will impede the side curtain airbag from deploying properly? I would like some option like that in my 04 MC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts