MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hoping you can help me out here as a newbie, maybe this stuff has been covered in a previous thread, anyway....

I have a few questions regarding the 05 MCS mechanical changes, loads of info on all the cosmetic tweaks but very little on the mechanical info. Here goes...

Power is up to 170 bhp, how has this been achieved?
(Dealers seem unable to tell me)

Has the S gearbox been changed? If so how?
(I heard the box had a slightly shorter shift from the old one and the gear ratios are now closer, again dealers said no, only the one and coop boxes were changed)

I have now read a thread stating that the exhaust has been changed, is this true?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
C'mon folks, wheres the info? VIewed 62 times and counting and not one person can help me with info on this topic?

Ok so i am new but i really thought this was the point of forums, to share info and help each other out....maybe i'm wrong....

Am i posting it in the wrong place? Where are all the Mini experts at?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since this is an international forum and we all live in different time zones, it's best to wait a whole day before expecting many responses. I did manage to dig up a few tidbits for you. Hope they are helpful.

Look here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/02/01/the_2005_mini_revealed

Scroll down and you'll see this:

Cooper S now with a revised supercharger, revised exhaust system, and new ECU - 170hp and 162 lb-ft of torque. Top speed is increased to 138mph and 0-60 times should improve slightly as well. The MCS also has shorter gearing in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears for quicker acceleration. (as discussed previously)
One and Cooper now with a Getrag 5-speed with shorter gearing for quicker accelerations. The Cooper will also have a slight increase of torque as well.(as discussed previously)

Look here, and you'll learn a few more details: http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/04/23/official_news_on_the_2005_mini_refresh

Rawhyde

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe that the supercharger is now the "fifth generation" with coated vanes, which only the JCW had before. I beleive the extra horsepower was achieved with a revised exhaust system, which has a characteristic popping sound when the accelerator is let up. This "burbling" sound is meant to be there - it is not a defect. In the U.S. the engine is rated at 168 HP. Not sure if this is a rounding error, reduction due to emission tuning, or some other U.S. specific problem.

The shocks in the MCS have been changed to ride better with the 17" S-Lites and runflat tires. Gas pressure and rebound rates are softened to smooth out the ride. It really works.

·
Registered
336 Posts
UK MCS is rated at 170 BHP not 170 PS.

The difference may be due to Octane ratings or something about which I have no idea.

We seem to get 2BHP more than you guys tho :D

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
JoeDentist said:
The shocks in the MCS have been changed to ride better with the 17" S-Lites and runflat tires. Gas pressure and rebound rates are softened to smooth out the ride. It really works.
Sofened????? I think I got the old shocks. lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hammer said:
Well I want the stiffer shocks. I put 225/45/17's on and they rub on the rear tires when I hit a big bump, or a small bump with the family in the car.

Any way to stiffen the stock shocks?

There gonna rub anyway your overall diameter is too big. You can calculate your diameter by doing (.45*225mm)*2 then convert to inches and add 17. Your diameter is about 25" Stock is closer to 24". So I imagine it would be difficult not to have them rub considering the added width.

I have heard other people go with the 225 but I'm not sure why. It adds weight and makes your gearing taller.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.