MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm getting ready to change my Pirelli runflats and don't know whether I should get non-runflat or runflat tires. Right now the ride is so incredibly bumpy and every time I go over the slightest pot hole, my car sounds like it got hit by a semi. It's terribly annoying, especially because I drive 100 miles each day (90% highway miles) to and from work. I'd like to hear some opinions on tires that offer a smoother ride, like a normal car, instead of the constant rattle and bumpiness of my Pirellis. Any recommendations are much appreciated! Thanks! :smile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I've seen so many posts about the Goodyear Eagle FI, but found two F1s on tirerack.com.

Do you know what the difference is between the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season 205/45 17 and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 205/40 17? Is one better that the other?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Thanks! I've seen so many posts about the Goodyear Eagle FI, but found two F1s on tirerack.com.

Do you know what the difference is between the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season 205/45 17 and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 205/40 17? Is one better that the other?
The GS-D3 is a higher performance tire but is not meant for use in winter (snow or ice) driving. Comparing price in the same (215/45-17) size the GS-D3 is $28 more expensive than the All Season.

What are your needs? Do you have to drive in snow and ice?

·
Prototype
24 Posts
I changed my 17" wheels and tires for the same reasons. Now I have daily commuter 16's, 205 / 50 / 16 - Pierlli P-Zero ( non-runflat ). Decent price found at Tire Rack.

If you haven't purchased new wheels to go with your 16" tures, I suggest you use OEM 16" MINI wheels. I am having difficulty with steering wheel vibratation using my aftermarket set from Tire Rack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Miami, FL - so no snow for me and use my car mostly for highway driving. I really just want a smooth ride and durable tires. I only thought of the Goodyear F1s because so many people here use those. Are there any other options? Anything better or just as good?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My suggestion would be to decide which factors are most important to you, and which you are willing to compromise on, then read the tire statistics on MINI2, the tests surveys and reviews for tire size and performance categories you are considering on TireRack, postings on other MINI sites, etc. If you're just looking for a smooth ride and durable tires consider the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (see details below).

Consumer reports: ConsumerReports.org - Find Product Reviews and Ratings from Consumer Reports has done some recent tire testing. This provides more data points for comparison.

My car came with 18" wheels and runflats that have been switched out to Toyo Proxes 4, but that combination is still too noisy and harsh riding for me (tire attributes confirmed by Consumer Reports test results).

I'm going to a 16 inch wheel with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S with H speed rating due to the overall high ratings, especially in the noise and comfort area. This tire also has a 30 day trial period, and a 45,000 mile pro-rated warranty, so if I don't like it I can return it and try another tire. It also gives me the opportunity to select another tire by looking for a tire that has more/less of some attribute, compared to the Pilot Exalto A/S.

The Yokohama S.Drive also has a 30 day trial period.

Good Luck,

Lee

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
A tire that apparently isn't available outside the US but that I've really enjoyed for performance, wear, and appearance is B.F.Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW 2.
I have 215/45/17 on my car.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The run-flats have a wear indicator of 240. I bought off Ebay Khumo Ecsta ASP non-run-flats on ASA rims mounted and balanced for $700. Have about 25K on them now ( the same as a worn out runflat) and they do good in snow or rain and dry. Wear indicator of 320. I liked them enough I went back on Ebay and bought a set of Khumo Ecsta AST wet/dry performance tires on ASA roms ( same price) and use them for Performance driving on track. Wear indicator 340. Both have outlasted any run-flat by twice the mileage. I have PDX and Time Trialed the AST tires 5 times with minimal wear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
17" Run-Flat tire alternatives.....

Dear MINI-Cooper-S enthusiasts -

I have a 2006 MINI-Cooper-S with the 17" factory run-flat tires.

The car has >31,000 miles on it and I really enjoy it a lot, and I commute about 40 miles per day, mostly highway.

However, there is one exception: The car rides "very bad" over any rough road, which in northern California - - is almost ALL roads!:D Now, I understand, the MINI does not weigh much, and will never ride like a Cadillac, etc, etc. etc.

Bottom-line: What do I need to do to improve the ride of my MINI over those stock tires?

Any and all recommendations appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JJ Cerilli
NORCAL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dear MINI-Cooper-S enthusiasts -

I have a 2006 MINI-Cooper-S with the 17" factory run-flat tires.

The car has >31,000 miles on it and I really enjoy it a lot, and I commute about 40 miles per day, mostly highway.

However, there is one exception: The car rides "very bad" over any rough road, which in northern California - - is almost ALL roads!:D Now, I understand, the MINI does not weigh much, and will never ride like a Cadillac, etc, etc. etc.

Bottom-line: What do I need to do to improve the ride of my MINI over those stock tires?

Any and all recommendations appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JJ Cerilli
NORCAL
Most economical thing to do would be to replace the run flats with a 17" tire that has a good comfort rating (see my post above).

If you try a 17" tire with a trial period and don't like it, you could return the set and go to a smaller wheel (as small as 15") and tire package that has a bigger sidewall and therefore more comfort. 15" tire selection is a lot more limited than 16" or 17", so that and appearance may be a factor for you.

I got the ContiComfortKit: Continental Corporation -The ContiComfortKit - for mobility when a tyre fails
Tire Inflator/Sealer from The TireRack when I went to a non run flat tire.

Good luck,

Lee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts